Quarter of a Million Shortfall in School places is Immigration partly to blame....

MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This week it was reported that we will have over a quarter of a million school places short...,,

It hit me (and something which wasnt mentioned on tv media) is this to do with the massive influx in immigration from Europe in the last 7years?

It seems to make sense that those coming in have settled and are starting to have children so it wouldnt be surprising if this was the case albiet partially....

And if it is, which other public services will start to be effected (even more than it is now).....due to this decision...

Also another point is will this also make our deficit artificially bigger than it should be and make our recession harder to get out of?

It is also important to say that these people if they work bring in additional monies....but also important to say they will get all of these services when only paid in maybe a couple of years so it will take probably 10years for the public spending income from these individuals to even out with their initial extra drain on the public purse ( with schools .... healthservice ..police and benefits).....

To help buffer these problems....people when they come in should have to take our private health insurance....and or pay a sum into the treasury if they want to move here......this would help the 'shock' to public services which will hit down the line with the extra numbers coming in so quickly as they did in the mid to late 2000s....

Comments

• 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The short answer is, no, it is not to blame.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Next important issue : My toast landed butter side down... Is Mass Immigration to blame?
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Next important issue : My toast landed butter side down... Is Mass Immigration to blame?

That's because of the latest EU directive which is deliberately designed to undermine the British way of life....try switching to croissants...they are exempt from landing butter side down ;)
  • Top Gun 001Top Gun 001 Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Of course immigration is a big factor in this problem. That's bleedin' obvious.

I was amused by an actor the other day who normally comes out with the liberal Leftie line on such matters. But now it affected him he got real for once. He was complaining he couldn't get his kids into the local school, and he said he was "peed off" and "didn't see why he should pay for Somalians to be educated".

He was fuming but very apologetic that he wasn't spouting his usual liberal guff. He seemed totally unaware what a hypocrite he is,
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If immigration hadnt gone way out of control for 15 yrs there would be no shortage of education places in the UK.The bedroom tax is also due to immigration and a shortage of council housing.Blame the main parties and vote UKIP.
    Also how can we give 30 billion pounds away each year in foreign aid and to the EU ...... yet have these problems like the bedroom tax and education places shortage :rolleyes:
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Perhaps this will force the govt to finally GET A F***ING GRIP. That plus the thousands of families that are likely to get evicted thanks to the bedroom tax and universal credit. :mad:
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wavy-davy wrote: »
    Perhaps this will force the govt to finally GET A F***ING GRIP. That plus the thousands of families that are likely to get evicted thanks to the bedroom tax and universal credit. :mad:

I agree the bedroom tax is shameful and digusting.Poor people claiming benefit who have lived all their lives in a council house are now expected to pay up to 50 pounds per week extra if they are in a 3 bedroom property and single.Why are some Labour councils enforcing this policy if its optional :confused:
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It shows our immigration policy is working to fill in below the bulge here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/geography/population/population_change_structure_rev5.shtml

and that the Tories shouldn't have cancelled the school building programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was amused by an actor the other day who normally comes out with the liberal Leftie line on such matters. But now it affected him he got real for once. He was complaining he couldn't get his kids into the local school, and he said he was "peed off" and "didn't see why he should pay for Somalians to be educated".

He was fuming but very apologetic that he wasn't spouting his usual liberal guff. He seemed totally unaware what a hypocrite he is,

If you could maybe reveal the name of this actor your comments would carry more weight.
  • MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »

If you read my post i said partially ..... so immigration has no effect on our public services at all? I think it is a very important issue because things are clearly unsustainable unless we have a policy where people have to contribute a proportion before they come into the country.....

Surely it isnt fair that someone who have contributed for 40years (plus family members) and someone who has just entered the country and within a couple of years has the full raft of public services and benefits open to them.....so really its about fairness......and things being sustainable in the short term.....
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for a construction company and we build and refurbish a lot of schools. We'd taken on a lot of people for the BSF but had to let them go after the govt canned it. There's been hardly any school tenders come through in the last two years.

So maybe immigration is the reason we need more places, but the reason there isn't any extra places is because the councils don't have the money to make any more.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Partly to blame? It's solely to blame!
  • Top Gun 001Top Gun 001 Posts: 382
    Forum Member

It is strange how Left-wingers are in denial over the effects of mass immigration.
  • StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course its to blame, just go to a school and hear what the pupils mother tounges are.
  • MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is strange how Left-wingers are in denial over the effects of mass immigration.

Similar denial that the Labour party said before the open door policy saying there were only going to be 10s of thousands and that anyone that said any different were scaremongering.....now they have apologised but i am afraid that isnt enough...where were the resignations over this.....if you can have them over much less issues why not this?.....It has affected all our public services and made the situation in the short term in our finances a lot worse.....Although if no one was brought to justice over Iraq i wont hold my breath...
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member

:D
    I saw that as well, he sounded and looked so two faced
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    we have a 4 page thread on this issue
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1807594
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Mariesam wrote: »
    This week it was reported that we will have over a quarter of a million school places short...,,

And if it is, which other public services will start to be effected (even more than it is now).....due to this decision...

Also another point is will this also make our deficit artificially bigger than it should be and make our recession harder to get out of?

To help buffer these problems....people when they come in should have to take our private health insurance....and or pay a sum into the treasury if they want to move here......this would help the 'shock' to public services which will hit down the line with the extra numbers coming in so quickly as they did in the mid to late 2000s....

And that's to say nothing of the £40 odd million odd a year lost on NHS tourism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19789397

Or the amount spent by the NHS on translators:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16905491
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    The short answer is, no, it is not to blame.

The question asked if immigration was "partly" to blame not "solely" to blame. I can't see how you can dismiss it so readily.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Totally correct. There is no school places shortfall in most of the country - only in those areas (e.g. London) where there has been huge levels of migration and a massive increase in the birth rate. Indeed London accounts for most of the shortfall - and even then its only certain boroughs which have seen rapid growth due to migration. There is no problem in boroughs like Havering, or Kingston or Sutton for example.

The birth rate amongst long term British residents is pretty static (indeed falling) - and to require more school places you logically have to have a rising birth rate.

A friend of my mothers is a midwife in east London who is about to retire - in her 30 years as a midwife she has seen nothing like what has occurred in the last 5 years. 'Breeding like rabbits' - is I think the slightly politically incorrect term she uses as the system is overstretched and cannot cope!

Having more kids also entitles you to more state handouts and the chance of living in a bigger state subsidised housing - given the price of housing (£300k to buy or £1,300 to rent a 3 bed house being typical now even in cheaper areas in London) its the only way most people will get the chance to live in a house via housing benefit/council housing rather than a small flat. People aren't stupid!
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Totally correct. There is no school places shortfall in most of the country - only in those areas (e.g. London) where there has been huge levels of migration and a massive increase in the birth rate. Indeed London accounts for most of the shortfall - and even then its only certain boroughs which have seen rapid growth due to migration. There is no problem in boroughs like Havering, or Kingston or Sutton for example.

The birth rate amongst long term British residents is pretty static (indeed falling) - and to require more school places you logically have to have a rising birth rate.

A friend of my mothers is a midwife in east London who is about to retire - in her 30 years as a midwife she has seen nothing like what has occurred in the last 5 years. 'Breeding like rabbits' - is I think the slightly politically incorrect term she uses as the system is overstretched and cannot cope!

Having more kids also entitles you to more state handouts and the chance of living in a bigger state subsidised housing - given the price of housing (£300k to buy or £1,300 to rent a 3 bed house being typical now even in cheaper areas in London) its the only way most people will get the chance to live in a house via housing benefit/council housing rather than a small flat. People aren't stupid!

In a country that provides free education to all, worth £5,000 per pupil, per year, unlimited immigration of people on low incomes from developing counties that are used to having large families, was never going to be viable economically in the long run.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    In a country that provides free education to all, worth £5,000 per pupil, per year, unlimited immigration of people on low incomes from developing counties that are used to having large families, was never going to be viable economically in the long run.

Yes - the pressure on the NHS/maternity services is also very significant. Effectively if you want prompt treatment now in much of east London you have to go private - a friend of mine was told they would have to wait months just for an MRI scan but could get an appointment within 2 days if they had private insurance. Its the sick, frail and elderly that will bear the brunt - as there is less money to fund care for those who need it most (and its a who shouts the loudest that gets care now not the most needy!)

Its actually quite crazy that the maternity unit which serves two of the boroughs with the biggest rises in birth rate in England - Redbridge and Barking & Dagenham is being shut due to NHS cost pressures. I pity the poor midwives who work at the only alternative unit in Romford - they are going to be so stretched and overworked. Redbridge's population (i.e. the Ilford area) is due to rise by a further 70,000 or 25% in the next decade - due primarily to its high birth rate according to the local council.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just as well we never had unlimited immigration, then.
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Just as well we never had unlimited immigration, then.

its a good job we had a cap on immigration isn't it, or else we might have a housing shortage, depressed wages, and a huge strain on our public services and infastructure. oh, hang on a minute...........
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

!

I think London accounts for about 40% of the shortfall. I guess other parts in the SE may have seen rises due to families leaving London and EU immigration.

I think when you look at the demographics of many of London's schools you'd be hard pressed to deny immigration has played its part. How many of the kids don't have English as a first language?