The Johnny Carter (Sam Strike / Ted Reilly) Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Neu IntentionNeu Intention Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Ha yes you were but I think a lot of people suggested it soon after. It just goes to show he would suit the role if it is that one.

I love how the Twitter search feed for 'Sam Strike' is now full of Spiderman fanboys asking who he is. :D Even if it doesn't turn out to be true, this has been a nice little bit of publicity for him. :)

I think Sam will enjoy seeing this. He seems like such a fan of Spiderman and related comics, and even if its not true this will be a compliment (in most part) to him I hope. :kitty:

It is a nice publicity for him, not just in the UK but globally seemingly.

I also hope he keeps his head down and stays true to himself - Hollywood is a different ball game and I hope he stays the sweet cute and slightly cutely awkward introvert Sam who loves Spiderman, skating, surfing, films and acting. :kitty::blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh-5gw9FuNA this video from an American spiderman fan is hilarious! Does anyone really think he could be the next spiderman?
    Forum Member
    There so many foreigners tweeting about sam now it's crazy
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm yahoo movies uk tweeted this https://twitter.com/yahoomoviesuk/status/574947132219789312 now sam has just started following them.....coincidence
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jhen wrote: »
    Hmmmm yahoo movies uk tweeted this https://twitter.com/yahoomoviesuk/status/574947132219789312 now sam has just started following them.....coincidence

Sam has probably seen all the speculation on Twitter and is now wondering what the hell to say in response :p

Along with discussing with people behind the film he's been cast in and his agent

It's probably quite overwhelming for him :kitty:
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tweets in this article from an apparent movie insider seem to squash the rumour:

http://www.comicbookbrainsplatter.com/2015/03/rumor-21-year-old-sam-strike-latest.html

Apparently they're still actively casting at the moment, and going as young as 15 years old.

To be honest, I do think that Sam could pull off a 16 or 17 year old Spiderman but if they want even younger than that then maybe not?

I'm actually starting to get a bit worried about the negative comments starting to filter in on Twitter from people opposed to him playing the role. Spiderman fanboys obviously take this very seriously and I hope that he doesn't get too much abuse from some of them if it turns out to be true.

If it isn't true, I imagine that Sam and/or Lee will put the rumour to rest once the hype has died down a bit. There's no point in shutting it down just yet as it really is brilliant, organic publicity for Sam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tweets in this article from an apparent movie insider seem to squash the rumour:

http://www.comicbookbrainsplatter.com/2015/03/rumor-21-year-old-sam-strike-latest.html

Apparently they're still actively casting at the moment, and going as young as 15 years old.

To be honest, I do think that Sam could pull off a 16 or 17 year old Spiderman but if they want even younger than that then maybe not?

I'm actually starting to get a bit worried about the negative comments starting to filter in on Twitter from people opposed to him playing the role. Spiderman fanboys obviously take this very seriously and I hope that he doesn't get too much abuse from some of them if it turns out to be true.

If it isn't true, I imagine that Sam and/or Lee will put the rumour to rest once the hype has died down a bit. There's no point in shutting it down just yet as it really is brilliant, organic publicity for Sam.

I still think something superhero, specifically Marvel Comics related is a possibility for Sam.

I don't think any of the comments are particularly negative, though I do worry too. Like no-one is hating on Sam necessarily atm.

On the other hand, if I didn't have such a long standing deep crush on Sam Strike then as a comic book buff myself I'd be choosy and interested to know who was playing a superhero from DC or Marvel or whatever. So in a way I can see where they are coming from.

But like you say this is generating a lot of publicity so I anticipate Sam's response to all this.
  • Snap_DragonSnap_Dragon Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I'm holding out for an as yet unannounced Brokeback Mountain 2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now there's a few tweets about Sam playing a young Leatherface in an origin film for Texas Chainsaw Massacre:

https://twitter.com/theinsneider/status/575057070312968194

As this has come completely out of left field then I'm inclined to think it might be true. Very interesting if this turns out to be the case. It will be a massive departure from anything Sam has done in his career so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now there's a few tweets about Sam playing a young Leatherface in an origin film for Texas Chainsaw Massacre:

As this has come completely out of left field then I'm inclined to think it might be true. Very interesting if this turns out to be the case. It will be a massive departure from anything Sam has done in his career so far.

I can't really imagine Sam in such a role. I'll always be a fan of him but I don't particularly wanna see him sawing up people with a chainsaw (even though he'll be masked and everything). This could be another rumour though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't really imagine Sam in such a role. I'll always be a fan of him but I don't particularly wanna see him sawing up people with a chainsaw (even though he'll be masked and everything). This could be another rumour though.

I think it's true. The guy that initially tweeted it is a verified reporter who works for The Wrap, which is a big entertainment website. I don't think he'd pluck a role from thin air. I am quite annoyed that he tweeted this, though, as if the film doesn't go through (it's probably still very much in the early stages), it puts a lot of negative focus on Sam through no fault of his own.
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Sam is determined to play roles in every movie genre I hate:D. I can say for certain I will not be watching this movie even if Sam is in it as I just cannot stand these type of movies. I don't think I really want see to Sam in this role but I sure he will great in it

All I hope it that this is a movie which will get a general release in the USA and UK (as it is part of well known movie franchise there must be a good chance) and that it is not a low budget made for DVD movie.

Fantastic for Sam to get a lead role and hopefully a stepping stone to bigger and better things
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sam is determined to play roles in every movie genre I hate:D. I can say for certain I will not be watching this movie even if Sam is in it as I just cannot stand these type of movies. I don't think I really want see to Sam in this role but I sure he will great in it

All I hope it that this is a movie which will get a general release in the USA and UK (as it is part of well known movie franchise there must be a good chance) and that it is not a low budget made for DVD movie.

Fantastic for Sam to get a lead role and hopefully a stepping stone to bigger and better things

See, while I was less than enthusiastic about BBB2, I am a bit of a horror movie fan, particularly the classic horror movies from the 70s/80s so I must admit this has piqued my interest. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a classic of the genre and was incredibly powerful when it was released. With that said, the 'brand' (though I'm sure the original director of the 1974 version would shudder at that word) has been subsequently diluted over the years and this film could really go either way. The fact that it's an origin film and not just a spin-off makes me hopeful they'll be respectful of the original, which was as much of a morality tale as it was a horror movie.

Like you, I would hope this gets a cinema release and that his agent wasn't overhyping the film TOO much (I know it's his job to talk things up but if it goes straight to DVD it will be quite disappointing after the initial excitement surrounding his tweet about it being a 'very big' film. I do think it will be low budget, just as the original was, but as I said over on the MF that's not really a hindrance when it comes to horror films. The less input they have from the studio, the more freedom they have to be creative and daring.

And yes, whatever happens, the fact that Sam has been cast in a lead role in something like this really is incredibly promising and hopefully is just the start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam has now confirmed on Twitter that the role isn't Spider-Man (which I'm sure we've all already worked out!) He hasn't addressed the Leatherface story, though, which again makes me inclined to believe it's definitely true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

More or less agree. Not a fan of horror, especially anything involving chainsaws. It's like Sam is drastically trying to get away from the cute awkward character - which is what a lot of fans love him for. He's taking a hell of a risk.

And yeah frustratingly though I love Sam I won't be watching Bonded By Blood 2 - and I definitely won't be watching anything that involves someone cutting people into pieces with a chainsaw. I feel like such a bad fan for saying that, and I'm really frustrated about it. :(

Whether its straight to DVD or theatrical release its a massive step forward for Sam. An amazing feat.
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw Sam on The Dog ate my homework on CBBC which I assume was filmed a long time ago. It was great to see Sam having fun including winning the space hopper game:D

It is on BBC iplayer if you want to see it
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member

That would be weird. I'm way too used to him being a cute little baby face mummy's boy, not an up and coming mass murderer! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    That would be weird. I'm way too used to him being a cute little baby face mummy's boy, not an up and coming mass murderer! :p

It will definitely be weird but I'm sure Sam can pull it off. :)

It's all gone very quiet again, I hope that the role hasn't fallen through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will definitely be weird but I'm sure Sam can pull it off. :)

It's all gone very quiet again, I hope that the role hasn't fallen through.

It would be different for Sam. I'd support him but I personally wouldn't watch a film like that. That sort of film generally isn't my cup of tea.

He might well be waiting for the Bonded By Blood 2 wrap party (which is tonight) before he announces anything.

He might also be weighing up the pros and cons of playing such a role.

Pros:
    1. Major publicity/fame
    2. Breakthrough into Hollywood
    3. Money
    4. Playing one of the most iconic horror movie characters of all time

Cons:
    1. Fame - Sam has stressed on multiple occasions that he wants to be an actor, not necessarily famous. He also is often very shy and quiet at awards shows and interviews, and therefore breaking into Hollywood would be a big change there.
    2. If the role doesn't do so well Sam can continue to act, but for anyone in the media breaking into the US is a difficult job, even if you get something on the other side of the pond.
    3. As I said before a lot of his current fans love him for his real life persona, as well as for playing awkward, innocent, cute and endearing characters. Changing drastically to playing violent gory serial killers may throw some of his current fans off. It's all okay for playing different characters and diversifying your experience as an actor, but I guess there's a point where as an actor you'd need to know where your stamp is.

Therefore I think Sam (unless he's already decided) will be considering carefully about this role. Until I see Lee Morgan, Sam himself or something on Sam's Spotlight confirm Sam playing Leatherface then it is still rumour. Sam seems like a really intelligent guy in real life so hopefully he'll make a good decision. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not gonna lie. Not that I'm encouraging anything, but I really am warming to drunk Sam Strike. :p:D:kitty:

https://twitter.com/PacemakerTeam/status/579742432436305920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Lee has now confirmed the Leatherface movie for Sam, and Sam has retweeted it. (Sorry to those of you who were hoping it wasn't true. :D) I can't help feeling it would have been more effective to have confirmed it when it leaked a couple of weeks ago but never mind! It's good that we finally know. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Lee has now confirmed the Leatherface movie for Sam, and Sam has retweeted it. (Sorry to those of you who were hoping it wasn't true. :D) I can't help feeling it would have been more effective to have confirmed it when it leaked a couple of weeks ago but never mind! It's good that we finally know. :)

I'm really happy for Sam. Like I say its quite a feat. I'll drink a toast to him later :p:kitty::cool:

But yeah I probably won't watch the film.

I think I more fancy Sam than I am a fan of him (for many reasons that I have explained on this AT in the past). That in itself probably influences my decision not to watch Leatherface when it is released.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really happy for Sam. Like I say its quite a feat. I'll drink a toast to him later :p:kitty::cool:

But yeah I probably won't watch the film.

I think I more fancy Sam than I am a fan of him (for many reasons that I have explained on this AT in the past). That in itself probably influences my decision not to watch Leatherface when it is released.

I do understand that it's probably not the ideal film to watch if you don't want to see Sam playing a dark character. ;-) I'm just very curious to see how well he does in it. It's such a huge departure from what he's done in the past, it's great that the casting director presumably saw something in him which made them take the chance on a relatively inexperienced young British actor. They could have picked any American actor for the film and they picked our Sam. It's amazing. :kitty:
  • Strawberry KickStrawberry Kick Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    It's really not my thing (if anyone can make it my thing, it's Sam however) but a massive well done to him, he'll be ace!
    I really miss this thread and all the love and speculation we had for Johnny. Can't believe it's now been 3 months since he left! :(
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really miss johnny :( hope he comes back this or next year