Options

Why no mass media coverage in Tower Hamlets?

MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
Forum Member
✭✭✭
IF this were a leafy surburban area or similar....there would probably be news cameras and news 24 channels here all the time........There has been so little coverage of these (allegations) voting scandals it makes you wonder why?

Comments

• Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    There is loads of coverage about it.

A lot of people seemingly unable to accept that many people want an independent Mayor not a Tory or Labour candidate - while dodgy goings on in other boroughs run by the main parties are ignored and only ever found on the rotten boroughs page of Private eye.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mariesam wrote: »
    IF this were a leafy surburban area or similar....there would probably be news cameras and news 24 channels here all the time........There has been so little coverage of these (allegations) voting scandals it makes you wonder why?

Because it doesn't involve white middle class/middle aged men?
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because they are just that, allegations, its an unwise move by both politicians and media to try and second judge the intentions of voters at the ballot box. If those unhappy can point to actual evidence of fraud and intimidation then so be it.

Party officials harassing voters is hardly new, I experienced it myself on Thursday courtesy of about a half dozen Tory supporters outside our polling station, a polite but firm "don't bother" shut them up quickly.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is still a reticence to report on potential corruption in Muslim communities. When Panorama filmed their expose on Rahman's divisive administration, there was an anti-BBC protest in Brick Lane.

Frankly, Tower Hamlets is beyond saving now. As far as I'm concerned, it can sink into it's own mire. My main concern is the wealth creators on the Isle of Dogs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Party officials harassing voters is hardly new, I experienced it myself on Thursday courtesy of about a half dozen Tory supporters outside our polling station, a polite but firm "don't bother" shut them up quickly.

Yeah, Tory ladies on telling duty are renowned for their thuggish intimidation qualities.

Laughable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering current birth rates and other trends, The Banana Republic of Tower Hamlets is a very scary look at London's future. It is absolutely amazing that it is not being covered nationally.

The fact is, if you import the third world to these shores, you will undoubtedly get third world democracy.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    There is loads of coverage about it.

A lot of people seemingly unable to accept that many people want an independent Mayor not a Tory or Labour candidate - while dodgy goings on in other boroughs run by the main parties are ignored and only ever found on the rotten boroughs page of Private eye.
    theres no coverage in the north about it except a 30 second bit on BBC last night
    a lot of people only know what or where TH is because of the How to get a council house programme

but if this had been an election in another part of the world we would have had none stop coverage of the 'vote rigging' and intimidation that had been alledged
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

it is very strange.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Yeah, Tory ladies on telling duty are renowned for their thuggish intimidation qualities.

Laughable.

They weren't ladies, they were Asian men all in their mid/late 40s. I was always under the impression the Police were supposed to attend polling stations precisely to ensure order at polling stations.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It has been covered by all outlets.

There is an investigation now going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They weren't ladies, they were Asian men all in their mid/late 40s. I was always under the impression the Police were supposed to attend polling stations precisely to ensure order at polling stations.

Celebrate the diversity.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The London based media likes to portray the capital as some sort of paradise that is "above" the rest of the UK.

Such corruption will soon be rife all over London though so they won't be able to keep it low key forever.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is still a reticence to report on potential corruption in Muslim communities. When Panorama filmed their expose on Rahman's divisive administration, there was an anti-BBC protest in Brick Lane. .

Surely there was a Panorama programme that got up peoples noses enough for them to demonstrate proves there is no such reticence?

Frankly, Tower Hamlets is beyond saving now. As far as I'm concerned, it can sink into it's own mire. My main concern is the wealth creators on the Isle of Dogs.

Taliking of rotten boroughs is there not an even more rotten borough next door, with an antiquated electoral system and with firms allowed to vote. Perhaps the City Of london should be merged into Tower Hamlets as TH is clearly the more democratic local authority of the two?
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebrate the diversity.

Hail the corruption!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely there was a Panorama programme that got up peoples noses enough for them to demonstrate proves there is no such reticence?

Oh, you barely need to look at their noses to create such a response. Anything resembling a mild criticism is seen as a major offensive. Rahman's head nearly came off when they had the temerity to question him.

Taliking of rotten boroughs is there not an even more rotten borough next door, with an antiquated electoral system and with firms allowed to vote. Perhaps the City Of london should be merged into Tower Hamlets as TH is clearly the more democratic local authority of the two?

I'm not defending the practices of The City, but we're talking about LBTH. And there aren't too many folk needing public services residing in the square mile. It does a good job of maintaining Wanstead Park, anyhow :p
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    It has been covered by all outlets.

Really? Apart from a few snippets, and a couple of posts on here I don't remember seeing it covered by many news outlets.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they are just that, allegations, its an unwise move by both politicians and media to try and second judge the intentions of voters at the ballot box. If those unhappy can point to actual evidence of fraud and intimidation then so be it.

Where were you voting, what area?
    Did you report them?

On the other hand a polite but firm "no thank you" was accepted.
    Did any of them follow you into the voting booth as was reported about Tower Hamlets?
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are probably more firms in the City than there are people, why shouldn't they be allowed to vote?
  • Options
    Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simsini wrote: »
    Considering current birth rates and other trends, The Banana Republic of Tower Hamlets is a very scary look at London's future. It is absolutely amazing that it is not being covered nationally.

The fact is, if you import the third world to these shores, you will undoubtedly get third world democracy.

Are you forgetting about the mainly white male bankers who caused the global financial crisis. That had far more far reaching implications than the Tower Hamlets thing. Some people have such short memories.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Laughable.

:D lol, the ones round my way don't even bother with the blue rinse any more.:D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

This story is getting better as it goes long, can't wait for the next update :)
  • Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would it?

Please read the below link about 'a leafy suburban area'. I live in Woking and hardly anyone knows about it around here, let alone nationally!!!

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/five-people-charged-over-alleged-6890223

Makes me wonder just how widespread election fraud is around our democratic country >:(

16 high risk areas (and that of course are only the places where it's been identified)!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/local-elections-2014-police-patrol-3579700

The areas are: Hyndburn, Blackburn with Darwen, Burnley, Oldham, Kirklees, Bradford, Calderdale, Derby, Walsall, Birmingham, Coventry, Peterborough, Slough, Woking, Tower Hamlets, Pendle.

At least the good old trustworthy police are on the case. I feel a lot better now :o
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is still a reticence to report on potential corruption in Muslim communities. When Panorama filmed their expose on Rahman's divisive administration, there was an anti-BBC protest in Brick Lane.

There are many other bad things going on in Tower Hamlets that never get a mention . The homophobia in the council meetings Is blatant and mainly goes unreported . The Guardian mentioned it once , reporting how every time a gay conservative councillor speaks , members from the public chant homophobic abuse , and nothing is done to stop them , no attempt to make them leave . It's a kind of Mafia .
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tony Blair has said that if the United Nations can't agree on a new resolution demanding Tower Hamlets council are transparent with their electoral process, the UK Government should send the troops in.

https://www.allriot.com/sites/default/files/tony-blair-mugshot-new-funny-political-tshirt-war-criminal-arrest-4_0.jpg

:D
  • Options
    MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many other bad things going on in Tower Hamlets that never get a mention . The homophobia in the council meetings Is blatant and mainly goes unreported . The Guardian mentioned it once , reporting how every time a gay conservative councillor speaks , members from the public chant homophobic abuse , and nothing is done to stop them , no attempt to make them leave . It's a kind of Mafia .

I heard more about the intimidation in the Ukraine elections than actually on our shores and they even had cameras covering it.....over here there has been very little at all.....the most i have heard about it is on LBC and all the goings on in the council....but very little on the main news channels.....all i heard about it was before the election police were supposed to be at every polling station to stop such intimidation as it has happened there before......its all very bizarre....