The Curse Of Steptoe - Wed. 19/3/08 BBC 4

Comments

• maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    winenroses wrote: »
    Btw, does anyone know who the interviewer of Corbett was supposed to be?

Whoever he was, he was nothing like him! :D

Could have been "Face To Face" with John Freeman
    BTW I've always wondered why we havn't done more of these TV biopics. The Americans have been doing them for years, although theirs are always more sugar coated
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Just watching this on iPlayer. Brilliant - thanks for the tip, missed the fact that it was on TV.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was an excellent programme, brilliantly acted by all concerned, special mention to Jason Isaacs, I thought it was the best performance I've ever seen him give.

The one problem with shows like this is that they can get TOO depressing by just focussing on the bad parts.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I think he was described as Paul's other Grandad.

I heard Wilfred Brambell would have problems being able to go into the BBC's bar for a drink because no-one believed who he was out of his Steptoe garb.
  • winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    Could have been "Face To Face" with John Freeman
    BTW I've always wondered why we havn't done more of these TV biopics. The Americans have been doing them for years, although theirs are always more sugar coated

Yes, I thought that was possible, but didn't seem much like him. It's so long ago. Could it have been Melvyn Bragg? Whoever it was, they didn't get much out of him. I suppose the point was, as in the rest of the programme, to show how he didn't want always to be associated with Steptoe, but that was all anyone was interested in him for.

I know that Freeman interviewed Tony Hancock, so perhaps the same actor will be recycled for that, then I'll know.

Our TV biopics are the opposite of sugar-coated, I agree. :D
  • jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skyl1ght wrote: »
    It's the featured show on iplayer.
    KennyT wrote: »
    It already is. And it's repeated (see post at 15:13 above).

K

thanks .:)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    I heard Wilfred Brambell would have problems being able to go into the BBC's bar for a drink because no-one believed who he was out of his Steptoe garb.

Absolutely not true
  • gkmaccagkmacca Posts: 9,386
    Forum Member
    I don't know if this was touched on in the play, but Galton and Simpson were ready (reluctantly) to replace Brambell in the fourth series with David Hemmings. While they were planning the storylines, they heard from Brambell's agent that he was going to appear on Broadway in a show called 'Kelly'. So, as G&S knew he might not be available for a year or two if it went well, they killed off the character and introduced his unknown illegitimate son (to be played by Hemmings) who turns up in Oil Drum Lane and moves in with Harold. Then Brambell's Broadway show closed a couple of hours after it opened and he was back at TV Centre as if nothing had happened.
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    A good programme. Did watch this with tears in my eyes though as I'm related to Harry H Corbett.
  • Blagger77Blagger77 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    gkmacca
    Yes it was word for word as you write it ..lol .lol
  • Dev AlahanDev Alahan Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Very good. It was like that Cor Blimey programme a few years ago.
  • Blagger77Blagger77 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Dev Alahan
    was IT the myth /joke show that said they hated each other an despised being in studio off cam together ?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always hated this show (used to drive me mad when my father would watch and laugh at it) but I'm watching the episode on BBC4 now and it's quite good! Rather better than BBC1 comedies of today in fact. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, but was rather distracted by the fact that one of the script-writers looked like Mr. Pooter from 'The Diary of a Nobody'. :)
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gkmacca wrote: »
    I don't know if this was touched on in the play, but Galton and Simpson were ready (reluctantly) to replace Brambell in the fourth series with David Hemmings. While they were planning the storylines, they heard from Brambell's agent that he was going to appear on Broadway in a show called 'Kelly'. So, as G&S knew he might not be available for a year or two if it went well, they killed off the character and introduced his unknown illegitimate son (to be played by Hemmings) who turns up in Oil Drum Lane and moves in with Harold. Then Brambell's Broadway show closed a couple of hours after it opened and he was back at TV Centre as if nothing had happened.

This was shown in the programme.Although there was no mention in who they had planned for Harold's son.I actually found that part of the programme pretty intresting as i had no idea about that.
    A good programme. Did watch this with tears in my eyes though as I'm related to Harry H Corbett.

Was it a good portrayal of HHC?

Like i said in an earlier post i enjoyed the programme & it has been getting some good reviews.The Metro newspaper the following day gave it 4 out 5, Ally Ross the Sun newspaper tv critic called it classic Tv & when i was listening to a local radio station on Thursday.The presenter & the news reader were praising it also.

Not bad for a BBC4 programme.
  • TheFirstCutTheFirstCut Posts: 7,306
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote: »

Was it a good portrayal of HHC?

From what I have been told by other relatives who are older than me, yes.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pompey73 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this too, loved Steptoe & Son as a child and pretty much anything that Phil Davis is in is worth watching.

Apart from "Howling V: The Rebirth", obviously.:eek:
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Caught the repeat showing last night, was very very good. Agree with those who said they were left wanting more at the end, though. I had no idea about Bramble's private life, and being caught in the Gent's. I knew that Corbett was a frustrated Shakesperian actor, but it was interesting to see just how much that originally one-off role typecast him forever, and despite his acting range and talent, everyone just wanted him to do a variation on Harold Steptoe.

By the way, it was nice to see that guy from Torchwood in a role that isn't really annoying, as Ray Galton,.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they do a TV ad together a couple of years after Steptoe ended - obviously because both needed the money and had become so typecast that they couldn't get other work? Does anyone remember what that was for?

By the way I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that the Galton & Simpson interview with Mark Lwason is on again tomorrow (Sunday) at 11.50, directly after a repeat of The Curse of Steptoe. It really is extraordinary that so long after these programmes were made (Hancock's Half Hour on radio was mid to late 1950s) and long after just about all the actors involved have died, the two writers of these great series are still very much alive!
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    Didn't they do a TV ad together a couple of years after Steptoe ended - obviously because both needed the money and had become so typecast that they couldn't get other work? Does anyone remember what that was for?

It was for Kenco coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSApN1vxrZs
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »

It was for Kenco Coffee.You can watch the ad in the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSApN1vxrZs
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that! Good to see it again.
  • PicklishPicklish Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was brilliant. I thought the acting was superb and the pathos excellent. My wife is a huge Hancock fan and Galton and Simpson fan and introduced me to them all, including Steptoe. I like HHC through 'Carry on Screaming!' lol!

My wife hates Jason Isaacs and was unsure she would like this but was very moved by it all and really changd her opinion of him, and even quite fancied him as she used to fancy HHC as a little girl watching these on TV! Always liked Phil Davis, he's always been good to me since I saw him in a drama about football holliganism years ago?

Can't wait for the Hancock one, will ken be as good as the drama they did when Alfred molina played Hancock as he was spot on.

I thought the interview was 'face to face' too, we have the Hancock interview on the Hancock box set I got her for christmas.

BTW, if anyone doesn't listen to BBC7 (best radio station ever) Frankie Howard is on at this moment, and every Tuesday at noon there is an episode of Hancock followed by Steptoe.....even better on the radio than TV imo. You can listen to them all again now on the net, for anyone who has not seen or heard many Steptoes or Hancocks. Two classic episodes of both this week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/
  • firestarter.ukfirestarter.uk Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    It appears on BBC HD over the next few days as well - check listings for details
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears on BBC HD over the next few days as well - check listings for details
    What's BBC HD?