Options

Viewers complaint about The Fires of Pompei

2»

Comments

• Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Torchwood some of the worst things they came up against ended up being human monsters in Countrycide. Nothing alien there but even in the Who universe you don't have to be alien to be nasty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    In Torchwood some of the worst things they came up against ended up being human monsters in Countrycide. Nothing alien there but even in the Who universe you don't have to be alien to be nasty.

I totally agree. What made that episode so powerful was you sat there all the way through thinking they were fighting aliens then at the end....they just turn out to be evil humans.
    It'd almost be good if there wasn't hugely misleading things about the power and speed of them in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Question: How did this reader know what happened? Where they there?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would people be disappointed with a purely historical story that featured no alien threat to Earth?
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would people be disappointed with a purely historical story that featured no alien threat to Earth?

I'd be disappointed. I think futuristic episodes are better for having non alien threats, as there has to be some sort of sci-fi element in the show (apart from the Doctor and the TARDIS of course) and having futuristic technology in it is the sci-fi element, rather than aliens.

If you have no aliens in historical episodes, it's not sci-fi, it's an historical drama.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Why write into a NATIONAL NEWSPAPER about it, anyways? I'm certain that TV weekly have pages devoted to this kind of opinionated bile.

People used to write into local and national newspapers with extreme and fanciful ideas to elicit any kind of response from whatever bored lunatic happened to be reading at the time.

Thankfully, internet forums have put an end to this.

;)
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not at all - there have been some good ones in Old Who, and it was originally meant to help educate as well as entertain, there's all of space to have aliens, why not just have clever plots and historical interaction when travelling in time?