Why have Walkers Crisps got away with scamming everyone for years??

JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,106
Forum Member
Why have Walkers Crisps got away with scamming everyone for years by putting short measure bag inside multi-packs (25 grams instead of 30 grams) - if they want to sell short weight then fine, but then it should be sold on weight (350 grams of crisps for £2), not sold as '12 "bags" for £2' - because people have a clear understanding of what "a bag" of crisps is, then that should define the term - to define 'a bag' of crisps any other way is no more than deceit - there is no other reason for selling short measures in multi-pack than to deceive the public

Really winds me up and other companies are jumping on the bandwagon

Mars bars are no longer "Mars bar" size, they're allowed to put 2 "short-measure" bars in a pack and call it "a twin pack" - it's plain deceit and i dont know how they get away with it

The crowning glory is now that you can't buy 25 Kilo bag of cement any more, you just "a bag" (no weight on it at all) of cement - and each time you buy one it's got less and less in it

Where the hell are "weights and measures" whilst all this scamming is going on? i can only imagine they're taking back handers to turn a blind eye

Comments

• GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    Where the hell are "weights and measures" whilst all this scamming is going on? i can only imagine they're taking back handers to turn a blind eye

Or they accept that if Mars or Walkers clearly state the weight of the product on the packet then they are within the law.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    A multipack costs less than 6 regular bags. No scam.

And most people don't care. Jusy buy what you think is best value.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I find it an excellent idea. 15% less crisps my kids eat if they have a bag.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why have Walkers Crisps got away with scamming everyone for years by putting short measure bag inside multi-packs (25 grams instead of 30 grams) - if they want to sell short weight then fine, but then it should be sold on weight (350 grams of crisps for £2), not sold as '12 "bags" for £2' - because people have a clear understanding of what "a bag" of crisps is, then that should define the term - to define 'a bag' of crisps any other way is no more than deceit - there is no other reason for selling short measures in multi-pack than to deceive the public

Mars bars are no longer "Mars bar" size, they're allowed to put 2 "short-measure" bars in a pack and call it "a twin pack" - it's plain deceit and i dont know how they get away with it

The crowning glory is now that you can't buy 25 Kilo bag of cement any more, you just "a bag" (no weight on it at all) of cement - and each time you buy one it's got less and less in it

Do you know they are 25g though? Have you actually weighed them?!

They could be scamming you outta an extra couple of grams in every pack!

That could be costing you PENNIES every year!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I knew they did this, I dont really give it much thought.. thinking about it I dont think i give it any real thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The multipack bags do always look a bit flat... but they do have the warning on the smaller packets that they can't be sold as an individual bag, so they're sort of acknowledging it I suppose :confused:
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I once weighed a Mars Bar and found it to be under weight. I complained, sent it back and they gave me £20 worth of vouchers for Mars bars
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is valid because it is implied very strongly that you are getting a "twin pack" of the single bars also sold in the shop.

In other words a Mars Bar is defined by what they are selling at the moment in a single unit, any reference to "twin pack" is basically saying "two of those single bars over there on the shelf"

After all, the basis of the free market is both the product itself AND the price of that product. How can you compare prices if the twin-pack bar is a different weight? It's anti-competitive.

People have gotten used to this trick and feel that's just the way it is, (true, it is not the most important thing in the world!), but it should have been addressed by now.

If a company is both selling single units and multi-packs of a product then the law should be amended so that "multi-packs" of that item ARE that item in weight and ingredients.

Government have basically given up in the last decade in terms of consumer rights and clear information, companies have just taken advantage of this.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member

This is really all you have to worry about? Hmm... not sure if I envy you or pity you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    This is valid because it is implied very strongly that you are getting a "twin pack" of the single bars also sold in the shop.

In other words a Mars Bar is defined by what they are selling at the moment in a single unit, any reference to "twin pack" is basically saying " two of those single bars over their on the shelf"

After all, the basis of the free market is both the product itself AND the price of that product. How can you compare prices if the twin-pack bar is a different weight? It's anti-competitive.

People have gotten used to this trick and feel that's just the way it is, (true, it is not the most important thing in the world!), but it should have been addressed by now.

If a company is both selling single units and multi-packs of a product then the law should be amended so that "multi-packs" of that item ARE that item in weight and ingredients.

Government have basically given up in the last decade in terms of consumer rights and clear information, companies have just taken advantage of this.

Oh, it wasn't a multi-pack thing. The bar was less weight than stated on the bar. They probably thought the £20 worth of vouchers was cheaper than a fine if I grassed them up to trading standards or whoever.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crisps are a con anyway. They are basically very thin slices of potato fried in oil. I would imagine that a packet of crisps, reconstituted, wouldn't even amount to one small spud. The best way to avoid being scammed by these products is not to buy them!
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    Oh, it wasn't a multi-pack thing. The bar was less weight than stated on the bar. They probably thought the £20 worth of vouchers was cheaper than a fine if I grassed them up to trading standards or whoever.
    You think that they'd be fined for one bar underweight? You'd be surprised at how high the percentage underweight (both in number of underweight products and the amount it is underweight by) allowed is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss Golden Wonder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Undersized bags of cement could be a serious issue if you assume proportions based on 25kg.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think that they'd be fined for one bar underweight? You'd be surprised at how high the percentage underweight (both in number of underweight products and the amount it is underweight by) allowed is.

To be honest I don't have an intimate knowledge of the laws on weights and measures. I guess they gave me the £20 of vouchers to protect their reputation then? It was pretty generous considering a Mars bar cost around 25p at the time.
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Crisps are a con anyway. They are basically very thin slices of potato fried in oil. I would imagine that a packet of crisps, reconstituted, wouldn't even amount to one small spud. The best way to avoid being scammed by these products is not to buy them!

Really? Damn, now I feel stupid. I imagined they were some kind of dreamlike ambrosia that took me away to unimagined paradise lands where all my dreams come true. I never for one second realised they were just thin slices of potato fried in oil.

You'll be telling me next that steak and chips is just the arse of a cow grilled and served on a plate with slightly thicker pieces of potato fried in oil. Then I'll really be upset...
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Damn, now I feel stupid. I imagined they were some kind of dreamlike ambrosia that took me away to unimagined paradise lands where all my dreams come true. I never for one second realised they were just thin slices of potato fried in oil.

You'll be telling me next that steak and chips is just the arse of a cow grilled and served on a plate with slightly thicker pieces of potato fried in oil. Then I'll really be upset...

Well you are stupid then:D

I'm not even going to start on bacon and eggs.
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    Don't buy crisps.. ever..

they are the ENEMY !
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,106
    Forum Member
    Girth wrote: »
    Or they accept that if Mars or Walkers clearly state the weight of the product on the packet then they are within the law.

they are within the law

companies dig channels through the law everyday

but it's wrong and it should be outlawed

and walker state the weight only *after* you've bought the product

point being - Walkers have *no other* possible reason to use short weight if it wasn't to deceive the public - and that is inherently wrong -

Walkers should sell people what they have "lead them to believe" they are buying
    Forum Member
    Mallaha wrote: »
    ..Jusy buy what you think is best value.

Walkers should sell you want you think you are getting (a regular bag of crisps)

they know what "you think" & Walkers *choose* to use that to scam you instead

• chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are within the law

companies dig channels through the law everyday

but it's wrong and it should be outlawed

and walker state the weight only *after* you've bought the product

point being - Walkers have *no other* possible reason to use short weight if it wasn't to deceive the public - and that is inherently wrong -

Walkers should sell people what they have "lead them to believe" they are buying

What did Walkers reply with when you complained to them about this?
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    To be honest I don't have an intimate knowledge of the laws on weights and measures. I guess they gave me the £20 of vouchers to protect their reputation then? It was pretty generous considering a Mars bar cost around 25p at the time.
    Probably more just make the customer happy.
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    I find it an excellent idea. 15% less crisps my kids eat if they have a bag.

In that case maybe they should give *your* kids 50% less and then you'll be twice as happy :rolleyes:

Walkers are not short-measuring for kid health benefits - Walkers are short-measuring because it instantly increases profit of their £500,000,000 ish annual turnover by about

£75,000,000 ish

by doing nothing other than deceit

that's wrong!
    Forum Member

Walkers could put 10 grams in a multi-pack bag and wont costing me anything - i dont buy Walkers crisps - haven't done for years - since they've been scamming

but maybe you can understand that wrong is wrong whether it cost *me* money or not - can you do that? :D

it's shame people only see wrong if it hurts them personally - makes you lose faith in human nature

• JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I don't think that Walkers are Scamming.
    My local grocer was a few years ago, he was splitting the multipack and selling the bags individually :mad: