Why have Walkers Crisps got away with scamming everyone for years??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »

B/ Walkers would not re-tool and run additional & totally separate production lines to make a bag that contain 15% less crisp out of concern for peoples health & welfare (also blindingly obvious) - but they would do it to make extra £75,000,000 pounds year

The individual bags are filled on the same production machinery as the ones intended for multipacks. The only separate/additional part of the process is the extra operation required to fill the multipack, itself.

There is no 're-tooling', the machines are designed so they can fill various weights by simple alteration of the multi-head weigher settings.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B/ Walkers would not re-tool and run additional & totally separate production lines to make a bag that contain 15% less crisp out of concern for peoples health & welfare (also blindingly obvious) - but they would do it to make extra £75,000,000 pounds year

It has already been shown that on a gram by gram basis it is cheaper to but crisps in a multipack - 90p per 100g in a multipack to £1.22 per 100g in a standard bag.

So, multipacks are 32p cheaper for the consumer to purchase on a per 100g basis.

With this is mind, if you can explain properly - with sources and figures to back up your claim - how Walkers are making an extra £75 million a year by selling multipack crisps cheaper then I will take everything back I said about you being a troll and will become an active supporter of your campaign.

(Or ele you can bang on yet again about how everyone else is wrong, you are right and try to tell people where they can and can't post and prove even further to everyone else on this thread that you are indeed completely and utterly wrong)
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rarely buy crisps full price - there are always offers on

so

Tesco Value crisps - 12 (18gm I think) for 48p are good anyway

Morrisons have an offer on Phileas Fogg 160 gm Salt and Black pepper for 49p

I also buy at a local discount shop - this week they had 100 gm Kettle Chip Vegetable chips (parsnip/beetroot/sweet potato) 2 for £1

Generally you can get something like Crisps/Quavers/Hula Hoops/McCoys etc on BOGOF
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,106
    Forum Member
    It's not irrelevant, it's the basis of your tired argument.

Nope - You simply dont get it
    Ber wrote: »
    .. on a gram by gram basis it is cheaper to but crisps in a multipack..

likewise

and i wont be simplifying it just for you two benefit
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the confirmation ;)
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    That's the point

Walkers ***themselves** defined 'a bag' of Walkers crisps as having 30 odd grams in it

Once you become comfortable with that definition of ' a bag', and want to buy 12 "bags", they take that opportunity to give you 15% less crisps (nearly 2 bags less) than you expect to get - and in doing so nett another £75 million

there is absolutely no reason why Walkers would put short -measure bags in a multi-pack other than to deceive customers

Right. You really don't get this do you?

Walkers make significantly less money on a 6-pack in your 'scam' than they would if you bought 6 standard bags. In fact, I'm pretty sure if they sold 6 standard bags for 99p they would lose money.

And the weight is CLEARLY marked on the pack, as it has to be by law. Big numbers, plain font.

If you think you are being scammed, complain to your local Trading Standards office - they probably need a laugh
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Right. You really don't get this do you?..

No *You* dont!
    ...Walkers make significantly less money on a 6-pack...

See!

Walkers ***themselves** defined 'a bag' of Walkers crisps as having 30 odd grams in it

Once you become comfortable with that definition of ' a bag', and want to buy 12 "bags", they take that opportunity to give you 15% less crisps (nearly 2 bags less) than you expect to get - and in doing so nett another £75 million

there is absolutely no reason why Walkers would put short -measure bags in a multi-pack other than to deceive customers. - none - what - so - ever!!!!!!!!!!!

They rely on your apathy about buying 'a bag' of crisps

I rest my case
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point, IIUC, is that the "bag" is a standard measure of crisps... except it isn't. What is standard for McCoys is not standard for Walkers.

I think the best we can say is caveat emptor. Which is often the rule on our wonderfully deceitful little island.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walkers could put 10 grams in a multi-pack bag and wont costing me anything - i dont buy Walkers crisps - haven't done for years - since they've been scamming

but maybe you can understand that wrong is wrong whether it cost *me* money or not - can you do that? :D

it's shame people only see wrong if it hurts them personally - makes you lose faith in human nature

If this SERIOUSLY upsets you then I would suggest a straight jacket and a padded cell;)
    Go to Tescos at the right time and multipacks work out at about 10p a packet, whatever the weight is. If you think that is a rip-off then I would suggest you re-take you maths at school.
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    If this SERIOUSLY upsets you ...

It doesn't upset me - i'm just 'disappointed' that some people will only act for selfish reasons, because they cant tell right from wrong per se

i find it 'offensive' that people label me with the same brush, just because they cant see beyond their own selfishness

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    i find it 'offensive' that people label me with the same brush

Are those a special type of brush that come in multipacks?
    Forum Member
    Potato crisps are sold by weight, not by the 'bag'.

Selling a 'bag' of crisps at a certain weight does not 'define' a bag as being that weight any more than selling a 'bottle' of wine at 750ml defines that as being a bottle.

Wine is also available in 1 litre 'bottles', potato crisps are also available in 50g 'bags'.

Provided the weight/volume is clearly marked the various products are perfectly legal & not a 'scam'.

It is up to the buyer to decide what represents 'best value' - where a multipack offers a lower unit cost per gram/ml, this is to the buyers advantage, irrespective of the presentation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stowells have been scamming us for years, with their wine in boxes malarky. Surely buying wine in bottles allows us not only the pleasure of uncorking our own wine, but assures us that we are getting 70cl... most of the time.

:o
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a multi-pack of Ford Focusses the other day.

Cost me £85,000 for a pack of six, imagine my surprise when the transporter showed up and the cars were only three-quarters normal size!

Grrrrr.

I just assumed that the definition of a Ford Focus includes it's size, I'll never make that mistake again!

In the brochure it was labeled as "Fun-size Focus" but you just know they choose the font colour/size carefully to hide the truth!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

I bought a multi-pack of apples. Imagine my surprise.... etc. etc.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Cost me £85,000 for a pack of six, imagine my surprise when the transporter showed up and the cars were only three-quarters normal size!

Grrrrr.

I just assumed that the definition of a Ford Focus includes it's size, I'll never make that mistake again!

In the brochure it was labeled as "Fun-size Focus" but you just know they choose the font colour/size carefully to hide the truth!
    Serves you right! You know they are a waste of money. Eat an apple instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Ford Foci, surely? :)

Were they all the same, or was it a variety pack?
    Forum Member
    home_alone wrote: »
    Potato crisps are sold by weight, not by the 'bag'.

Crisps are not sold by weight - they're sold by "the bag" FACT!

Here's another glaringly obvious FACT! - most people dont even know what weight of crisps are in "a bag"

To most people, it's just "a bag" of crisps

Walkers rely wholey upon this nonchalance to sell short-measures in multi-packs and make outrageous profit

Selling a 'bag' of crisps at a certain weight does not 'define' a bag

Yes it does! As I've already spelt out to you - Walkers have programmed into *you*, what 'a bag' of Walkers crisp is by selling *you* millions of them weighing 30 odd grams

The only reason Walkers sell short-measures in multi-packs is for no other reason than to cash in an extra £75,000,000 - think about it - give yourself ***any*** tangable reason why they would just 'shave off' 15% in a pack

Nice try - but you get wronger with each attempt

Forum Member
    Crisps are not sold by weight - they're sold by "the bag" FACT!

Here's another glaringly obvious FACT! - most people dont even know what weight of crisps are in "a bag"

To most people, it's just "a bag" of crisps

Walkers rely wholey upon this nonchalance to sell short-measures in multi-packs and make outrageous profit

Yes it does! As I've already spelt out to you - Walkers have programmed into *you*, what 'a bag' of Walkers crisp is by selling *you* millions of them weighing 30 odd grams

The only reason Walkers sell short-measures in multi-packs is for no other reason than to cash in an extra £75,000,000 - think about it - give yourself ***any*** tangable reason why they would just 'shave off' 15% in a pack

Nice try - but you get wronger with each attempt

shouting 'fact' & posting asterisks does not make a statement correct.

Walkers sell 3 sizes of 'bag' - 25g, 34.5g & 50g.

That is called choice, not 'programming' & is tangible enough for me.

Please can you explain why you consistently ignore the posts pointing out that the unit cost of crisps in a multipack is cheaper than in the single packs, while continuing to imply Walkers are defrauding their customers.
    Forum Member
    .. the unit cost of crisps in a multipack is cheaper than in the single packs....

Irrelevant

There are *no* health or logistical benefits to consumers or Walkers to produce a 'special bag' with a short-measure

The **only** reason Walkers sell "short-measures" in multi-packs is for *no* *other* *reason* than to cash in an extra £75,000,000

They have taken advantage of the apathy of the public over what is merely 'a bag' of crisps which suits Walkers to perpetuate in multi-packs

In exact same way a Mars 'Twin pack' suggests you will get 2 regular "Mars Bars" (the one they have been selling you for years) - but inside the pack are 2 short-measures bars - Mars learned this total scam from Walkers

Any 19 year old can grasp this

P.S. Couple FACTS!

FACT 1 - Most people that buy Walkers Crisps (single or multi-pack) do not know what "a bag" weighs

FACT 2 - Most people dont know what "a Mars Bar" weighs

Without these FACTS, Walkers and Mars would not be able to scamm because it's these people who are the sole target for deceit, and both companies would return to packing std sizes in multi-packs if these were not FACTS

• Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    Irrelevant

There are *no* health or logistical benefits to consumers or Walkers to produce a 'special bag' with a short-measure

The **only** reason Walkers sell "short-measures" in multi-packs is for *no* *other* *reason* than to cash in an extra £75,000,000

They have taken advantage of the apathy of the public over what is merely 'a bag' of crisps which suits Walkers to perpetuate in multi-packs

In exact same way a Mars 'Twin pack' suggests you will get 2 regular "Mars Bars" (the one they have been selling you for years) - but inside the pack are 2 short-measures bars - Mars learned this total scam from Walkers

P.S. Couple FACTS!

FACT 1 - Most people that buy Walkers Crisps (single or multi-pack) do not know what "a bag" weighs

Without these FACTS, Walkers and Mars would not be able to scamm because it's these people who are the sole target for deceit, and both companies would return to packing std sizes in multi-packs if these were not FACTS

Without the use of teenage capitilisation, a few facts for you.

1. Walkers do not make £75 million 'extra' profit on multipacks - your deeply flawed 'calculation' assumes
    i) all the volume of Walkers is potato crisp multipacks (it isn't ); so you need to reduce your £500 mill significantly
    ii) cost of production etc is directly and solely linked to weight (it isn't); fixed costs, distribution, sales etc stay the same, so your 15% (which was optimistic anyway) needs to be reduced
    iii) any extra margin generated by the difference goes solely to Walkers (it doesn't); the retailer gets a proportion of the profits, and they are eagle eyed when it comes to money, so reduce again.
    iv) You could buy 6 standard bags for the same price (you can't)

Even if we were to make steps i-iii have a 50% impact on your calculation, that would put the 'extra' margin at less than £10 million, which given the price/gram claculation you choose to ignore (the REAL value for money), is not excerssive. And the real value - even less than that

2. Anyone who wants to know how much a pack of food they are buying weighs can read the label - unless the pack is less than 25g, that information has to be there by law. If you don't know how much a pack weighs (or a Mars Bar), that comes from your inability to read, not because the companies are trying to defraud you :rolleyes:

As I've said - if your REALLY think you are being conned, scammed and otherwise ripped off, go and complain to Trading Standards. You know, the people whose job it is to prevent companies from ripping you off.

Let us know how you get on. Really. I could do with a laugh.
  • chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case maybe they should give *your* kids 50% less and then you'll be twice as happy :rolleyes:

Walkers are not short-measuring for kid health benefits - Walkers are short-measuring because it instantly increases profit of their £500,000,000 ish annual turnover by about

£75,000,000 ish

by doing nothing other than deceit

that's wrong!

You have stated that on a turnover of £500m, their profit margin (on multipacks alone) is £75m. I'd like to see proof of that. Link please.

EDIT: Watcher had beaten me to it!
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish all i had to worry about in life was crisps... But now that i have found out that the north leicester based firm have been activly invloved in an active capaign of mind manipulation through psychological programming maybe all i should be worried about is crisps?
    Forum Member
    Irrelevant

P.S. Couple FACTS!

A manufacturer selling product in multipack for lower unit cost than single packs is not 'irrelevant', it just doesn't suit your assertion of a scam.

Please explain exactly how selling something cheaper is a 'scam' & constitutes 'deceit'

Please also provide credible citations/links for all of the 'facts' you are shouting about - so far it seems to be only your opinions being asserted as facts.

It is the size of the bag that is an irrelevance, the cost, per gram, of the crisps is the only arbiter of value - and that cost is lower in multipacks than single packs, hence multipacks are better value.
    Forum Member
    ..a few facts for you...Walkers do not make £75 million 'extra' profit on multipacks ....

Then pick a different outrageous figure - but if you think that my 'ballpark' maths underminds my point - you're very much mistaken
    You have stated that on a turnover of £500m, their profit margin (on multipacks alone) is £75m. I'd like to see proof of that....

Ditto
    :rolleyes:
    ...Please explain exactly how selling something cheaper is a 'scam' & constitutes 'deceit'...

Here is is again:
    ..There are *no* health or logistical benefits to consumers or Walkers to produce a 'special bag' with a short-measure

P.S. Couple FACTS!