Why have Walkers Crisps got away with scamming everyone for years??

Comments

• Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »
    Then pick a different outrageous figure - but if you think that my 'ballpark' maths underminds my point - you're very much mistaken

Ditto
    :rolleyes:

Here is is again:

All the rolleyes and repeating of facts that aren't actually facts won't make your argument right.

If you won't make a coherent attempt to answer the points everyone has made, you're really not worth effort.

Fact - The weight is on the pack. Just because you are too lazy/stupid (delete as appropriate) to read it, doesn't mean you are being scammed. You are not. You've had the reasons why this isn't the case explained to you.

Have you talked to your local TS yet? I'm sure they'll help you :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member

Here is is again:

..There are *no* health or logistical benefits to consumers or Walkers to produce a 'special bag' with a short-measure

The **only** reason Walkers sell "short-measures" in multi-packs is for *no* *other* *reason* than to cash in an extra £75,000,000

They have taken advantage of the apathy of the public over what is merely 'a bag' of crisps which suits Walkers to perpetuate in multi-packs

In exact same way a Mars 'Twin pack' suggests you will get 2 regular "Mars Bars" (the one they have been selling you for years) - but inside the pack are 2 short-measures bars - Mars learned this total scam from Walkers

Any 19 year old can grasp this

P.S. Couple FACTS!

FACT 1 - Most people that buy Walkers Crisps (single or multi-pack) do not know what "a bag" weighs

FACT 2 - Most people dont know what "a Mars Bar" weighs

Without these FACTS, Walkers and Mars would not be able to scamm because it's these people who are the sole target for deceit, and both companies would return to packing std sizes in multi-packs if these were not FACTS

Reiterating unsubstantiated opinion is not an explanation - hence the conclusion must be you don't have one & cannot back up your claims.

The 'answer' to the thread title is that Walkers have not been 'getting away' with scamming customers, they have been offering an alternative format at an overall cheaper price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish you could still get a 25g bag of crisps in a pub. I just want a few crisps - not a 50g "Big Eat".

No wonder everyone's getting fat.
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,106
    Forum Member
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    ...The weight is on the pack. ..

So What!

Fact! - Most people do not buy crisps by weight

Walkers do not sell crisps by weight - they sell them by 'the bag' - they don't sell 345 grams of crisps, they sell "12 ***bags**

Walkers themselves defined 'a bag', so it suits them to perpetuate the buying of "bags" (12 "bags") because the overwhelming majority dont even know they are being fleeced in broad daylight

So whether the weight is on "the bags" or not is irrelevant to the masses that are being scammed by Walkers

if you can't see why that is then i can't help it

Forum Member
    home_alone wrote: »
    ..The 'answer' to the thread title is that Walkers have not been 'getting away' with scamming customers, they have been offering an alternative format at an overall cheaper price.

Nope

Walkers can offer same price per gram (just as good value) by using "standard" size bags - could you concede that much? - any school leaver would not need me to explain that - however - i doubt it because it blows your whooooooooole case out the water :rolleyes:

So why dont Walkers use standard bag in multi-packs??

lets examine all the possibilities:

The *************only************ reason Walkers sell "short-measures" in multi-packs is for *no* *other* *reason* than to fleece the crisp 'bag' buying public (which outnumber the *gram* buying public by gazillion to 1)

• chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did Trading Standards say when you contacted them?
    Forum Member
    dsdjm wrote: »
    I just wish you could still get a 25g bag of crisps in a pub. I just want a few crisps - not a 50g "Big Eat"..

Then you have enough to share - They used to sell fiddly tiny bags KP nuts off card in pubs at one time so i used to by two bags and let my friends fight over one bag and let me have to myself
    Forum Member
    So What!

Walkers do not sell crisps by weight - they sell them by 'the bag' - they don't sell 345 grams of crisps, they sell "12 ***bags**

Walkers themselves defined 'a bag', so it suits them to perpetuate the buying of "bags" (12 "bags") because the overwhelming majority dont even know they are being fleeced in broad daylight

So whether the weight is on "the bags" or not is irrelevant to the masses that are being scammed by Walkers

Proof of your 'facts' please - so far all we have is your opinion stated as fact.

The 'bags' are sold by weight - that is why they have the weight stated either on each individual pack, or on the multipack.

- after all, a multipack is just a big bag - haven't Walkers also 'defined' that ?
    Forum Member
    Nope

Walkers can offer same price per gram (just as good value) by using "standard" size bags - could you concede that much? - any school leaver would not need me to explain that - however - i doubt it because it blows your whooooooooole case out the water :rolleyes:

So why dont Walkers use standard bag in multi-packs??

lets examine all the possibilities:

The *************only************ reason Walkers sell "short-measures" in multi-packs is for *no* *other* *reason* than to fleece the crisp 'bag' buying public (which outnumber the *gram* buying public by gazillion to 1)

As above, please provide objective proof of your assertion.

Please note multiple asterisks do not constitute proof.

The point you are trying to prove, if you have forgotten, is how selling an item in an alternative format, at a lower unit cost, constitutes a 'scam' or results in the public being 'fleeced'.

I'm amused at your concession that potentially selling multipacks involving 'standard' packs at the same unit price as the standard packs is somehow better than multipacks with alternative weights at a lower unit cost.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So What!

Precisely where do Walkers define this?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So What!

Regardless of weight by grams, cant you feel the multipack is full of air? :confused:

Do you also feel conned when one pack of chicken doesn't weigh the same as another?
    Forum Member
    ..The 'bags' are sold by weight ...

Nope - People dont buy crisps by weight - they just buy 'a bag' of crisps - just like they buy "a Mars bar" and "a bag" of cement

If you can't concede that, we have nothing more to discuss

..after all, a multipack is just a big bag - haven't Walkers also 'defined' that ?

you just aint gettin it are you

and you wont - so i have nothing more to say to you

Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    Precisely where do Walkers define this?

If you read the thread you'd know

Walkers define 'a bag' of Walkers crisps by selling millions of them containing 30 odd grams - 99% of Walkers customers don't know/care what weight is in them, to them it's just "a bag" of Walkers crisps - Walkers use this public nonchalance to 'slip' them a short measure in multi-packs

• GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Walkers define 'a bag' of Walkers crisps by selling millions of them containing 30 odd grams - 99% of Walkers customers don't know/care what weight is in them, to them it's just "a bag" of Walkers crisps - Walkers use this public nonchalance to 'slip' them a short measure in multi-packs

I don't know why I am bothering but...

THEY ARE NOT SLIPPING YOU A SHORT MEASURE!

The weight is clearly displayed on the multipack bag and you pay less per weigh for multipacks than you do single bags.

They would only be doing something dodgy if they were advertising the bags at 30 odd grams but only putting 25 grams in the bag and charging you for 30 odd grams.

WHICH THEY ARE NOT!

Think of it like this:

They sell bags of crisps in 3 different sizes (there may be more, I am not an expert).

Small bags however can only be bought in mltipacks but are the cheapest per weight.
    Medium sized bags are widely available
    Large 'grab bag' sized bags are also available - however these are usually found in premium shops such as petrol stations and motorway services and you pay more per weight than the 'small' or 'medium' sized bags.
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    ...THEY ARE NOT SLIPPING YOU A SHORT MEASURE!.

They are:

The **only** reason Walkers sell "short-measures" in multi-packs is for *no* *other* *reason* than to cash in an extra £75,000,000

Give me another reason or i'll rest my case

Forum Member

Evidence to back up this statement, please.

Isn't it just as true to say that Walkers 'define' a multipack as containing 6 x 25g packs?
    Forum Member
    They are:

please give evidence for this figure or I will have to rest my case..
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are:

How do they make more money for selling an item CHEAPER than the alternative?

Surely that would make profit margins smaller?

And a reliable source for you £75,000,000 would be good and definitely needed if you want to hold on to any credibility your argument still has left.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are:

To show that, you'd need to prove that consumers genuinely expected a multi-pack to contain standard bags.

Do you have any evidence of that?
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    How do they make more money for ....

Irrelevant and it appears you can't answer the question - didn't even attempt because you know I speak the truth

You're done now

Forum Member
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    To show that, you'd need to prove that consumers genuinely expected a multi-pack to contain standard bags.

Do you have any evidence of that?

It would be very easy to prove - just ask 100 (better still 1000) multi-pack buyers if they have the foggiest idea how much weight of crisps they just bought

Unfortunately I dont have the facility to do it

but fortunately the answer the obvious to any school leaver

People buy crisps by "the bag", not grams, (in the same way they buy Mars by "the bar", always have done, always will do, and for that reason, Walkers are a scam-merchants

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be very easy to prove - just ask 100 (better still 1000) multi-pack buyers if they have the foggiest idea how much weight of crisps they just bought

This thread alone is more evidence than you have. You are the only person in this thread that buys ignorant of the weight in *a bag*. You alone. Everyone else buys by weight.

Where is your evidence of this £75m btw? Everyone is asking, yet your ignoring it. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ...You are the only person in this thread that buys ignorant of the weight in *a bag*. You alone. Everyone else buys by weight.

Well i suppose if you're content to believe that *I* am the *only* person that buys crisps in *bags* (i am aware of weight - obviously ppptttt! :rolleyes:) then we're done
    ...Where is your evidence of this £75m btw?

Well lets just say "loads dosh" for those finding this hard to get their head around big numbers and they wont be so easily distracted :)

Ulitmately - you just dont got a point, you just want to say "something" - well i dont got time for that:D

• Lucem FerreLucem Ferre Posts: 8,224
    Forum Member
    Being a bit, um, OCD about getting my coffee just right, I bought a set of digital scales that's accurate to 0.1g

Most of the products I've weighed on it out of mild interest have been underweight. I can't actually remember anything that was overweight.
    Forum Member
    That does surprise me because manufacturers will leave themselves open to coming under fire from weights & measures (if there is such a thing any more)

You'll probably find the scales need calibrating