Any Minecraft players in the house?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
Forum Member
Do any of you play Minecraft? If so is it worth the cost? I'm looking at getting it...if I can unlock my Paypal account. :(

Are you totally addicted? In that case, how do you feel about Minecraft heading to Android mobiles and iPhones later this year? :D

Comments

• Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JX23 is your man, he posts here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is definitely worth the cost. It's deceptively fun and has swallowed quit a big chunk of my time.

I don't want it on my iPad as I know I'll play it on the train and forget to get off! Though when it does come I hope it has cloud storage so I can use the same account.
    I also heard of a rip off version coming to XBLA but I'd prefer the official one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Good news everyone! A kind soul as sent me a gift code. I shall be Mining for Craft soon.

Though I do believe I'm some way off being able to produce something like this.
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pick it up every so often, I'd rather watch the Yogscast though, Old Peculier :D

BlueXephos on YouTube.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeham wrote: »
    Pick it up every so often, I'd rather watch the Yogscast though, Old Peculier :D

BlueXephos on YouTube.

I watch that too, hilarious! :D:o
  • OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I go on YouTube on my iPhone, they videos always pop up in the most viewed that day. I don't get it! :confused:
  • GamerGirlGamerGirl Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I play Minecraft :) Not too seriously, though, as I use InVedit to enable me to experiment with building various edifices or I just go exploring vast distances to see what is out there.
    One day I'll play a 'proper' game with growing crops and suchlike.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I bought Minecraft a couple of days ago. I don't play games on my computer but this one I take an exception to. It's fantastic! Already built a house (two), a mine leading into several huge caverns, a farm and a lava pool but that's not even scratching the surface on what you can do in the game. Not even tried multiplayer or mods yet.
    Forum Member
    Notch says that he may soon add achievements to Minecraft in order to give the game "a kind of narrative"

Is this a good thing? Or would you prefer to be able to do your own thing without 'the man' making suggestions? :rolleyes:
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    WelshDanny wrote: »
    Notch says that he may soon add achievements to Minecraft in order to give the game "a kind of narrative"

Is this a good thing? Or would you prefer to be able to do your own thing without 'the man' making suggestions? :rolleyes:

From what I've seen, it looks like many people don't need a direction to create something quite unique and imaginative.

I don't think it would harm the game though, if people don't have an imagination it might give them some inspiration.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the game too. I play it occasionally when I have nothing else to do in the evenings. It is very much a pick up any play game, as you log back in exactly where you were last time.

I think it would be good if there was more of a narrative or objective in the game as long as it was completely optional, and that you could take your time to get there .Of course the game shouldn't end once you win. Possibly rather than achievements it could be more of an idea check list. Something to refer to when your imagination stops working. Once you build each item it you put a tick next to it and move onto something else. e.g. build a wooden fort. Build a castle of cobblestone and stone, build a trap for creepers, Build a structure underwater, Build a fountain, build a suspension bridge across a chasm, Set up a redstone railway etc.
    Forum Member
    Brigon wrote: »
    I have the game too. I play it occasionally when I have nothing else to do in the evenings. It is very much a pick up any play game, as you log back in exactly where you were last time.

I think it would be good if there was more of a narrative or objective in the game as long as it was completely optional, and that you could take your time to get there .Of course the game shouldn't end once you win. Possibly rather than achievements it could be more of an idea check list. Something to refer to when your imagination stops working. Once you build each item it you put a tick next to it and move onto something else. e.g. build a wooden fort. Build a castle of cobblestone and stone, build a trap for creepers, Build a structure underwater, Build a fountain, build a suspension bridge across a chasm, Set up a redstone railway etc.

I agree with this. :)

Though how do you build a bridge and hold the blocks in place...you know what our old foe gravity is like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just thought i'd give this a bump. its a game that i've probably put more hours into than any other in the last 12 months, been playing since around autumn last year.
    1.7 update sounds like it will be great;
    adventure mode
    new lighting system
    its gonna be awesome! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    WelshDanny wrote: »
    I agree with this. :)

Though how do you build a bridge and hold the blocks in place...you know what our old foe gravity is like.

Bridges are much easier to do since they put in crouch/sneak, you can go right up to edges without falling off, and add blocks to the end :)
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    thanks to this thread I googled minecraft and watched some of the youtube beginners video's, very impressed, just bought the beta.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just thought i'd give this a bump. its a game that i've probably put more hours into than any other in the last 12 months, been playing since around autumn last year.
    1.7 update sounds like it will be great;
    adventure mode
    new lighting system
    its gonna be awesome! :)

Mhmm....what's adventure mode? Will there be actual objectives? :eek: :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mhmm....what's adventure mode? Will there be actual objectives? :eek: :D

hopefully yea! well i'm hoping for something that is akin to adventure mode in dwarf fortress but I think thats probably being a bit optimistic! :D
    still ,they are going to be working on this next update for quite some time so it should be something of considerable substance. it should be good whatever it turns out like, this game could do with some objectives!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first full pistons demo. the automated door and steps look sick!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJr86d2IUo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Play it here me and my brother have our own server we use to mess around on :) built our house and a couple of joining towers so far, not been playing long though but it is fun
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looks like 1.7 won't contain adventure mode or the new lighting system (that will be 1.8) but it will be out sooner than before
    Me and Jens have been independently working on stuff for the adventure update, and it’s been growing in scope as we’ve been working on it. That means it will take quite some time to finish, but that it will hopefully change the game a lot to the better. To prevent going too far between updates, we’ve decided to release Pistons early.

That means 1.7 will be released soon, containing only pistons and probably a couple of bug fixes. The adventure update will take however long it takes, and will be released as 1.8. It might be a long wait, but it will be worth it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1.8 has now been released!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The official 1.8 released today?

Or the 1.8 pre-release which was an intentional leak of an update for the beta? (oh yeah.) :p

EDIT: Just saw a news story for the proper release, good stuff :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    The official 1.8 released today?

Or the 1.8 pre-release which was an intentional leak of an update for the beta? (oh yeah.) :p

EDIT: Just saw a news story for the proper release, good stuff :cool:

yep its the proper official release! your minecraft will auto update now when connecting. notch hasn't updated his blog yet with the news ,found out through the unofficial source;
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/patch-18/
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    What do you do in Minecraft?
  • denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1.8 is pretty amazing, spent ages exploring a ravine and abandonded mine i found near my spawn, really great little game!