FR or SP

One of my usual stupid questions...........is Flexible Recording better quality than SP speed when copying from HDD to disc? Ta.

Comments

• Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no single correct answer. It depends on the size of the file you are trying to burn to disc, and also the amount of space available on that disc.

SP is a fixed data rate.

Flexible Rate will vary the data rate (i.e. quality quality) to suit the amount of stuff you want to record to disc.

If you have say a 30 minute program and a completely blank disc then FR will (or should) burn it at the highest possible bit rate for the best picture quality.

If you have 2 hours worth to fit on the tail end of a part recorded multi-session disc the FR will drop the bit rate through the floor. The picture could end up a lot worse than VHS, but at least the recording should squeeze on.

SP doesn't do any of that. It records at one rate. If there's space left over, or the recording over runs the disc space then tough. But you'll know exactly what the recording rate will be and can make that judgement before you commit to burning.
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if it is 2 hours one is recording to disc from HDD........?
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use FR as that will fill the disk at the highest bit rate that will fit.
    Is SP a 2hour mode? On my panny it goes XP (1 hour) SP (2 hours) LP (4 hours) and EP (8 hours) for a standard 4.7GB dvd disk. So for exactly 2 hours FR and SP should be the same, but after editing your programme is it exactly 2 hours? If not, FR is best.
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks. That helps. I was just curious!