New Nintendo 3DS, who's getting one?

GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey,

Okay so who has ordered or plans to order the New Nintendo 3DS or XL for it's release date on February 13?

I currently have the Majora's Mask edition on preorder from Amazon France for £180 but I will cancel if I see a better deal.

I have watched a few comparison videos between the old and new 3DS from NihongoGamer on YouTube, Most of the small changes actually seem like a decent step forward (with the exception of having to use a #0 screwdriver to change the SD card).

Also I have decided to upgrade the memory card as soon as i get it to a Samsung Evo 32GB for £11.42, I already have two of these for my Dell Venue 8 Pro and Nintendo Wii U and find them to be very good.

Finally I am interested in purchasing the New Nintendo 3DS XL Charging Cradle (for ease of charging and a place to put the 3DS when not in use) which costs £10 from both Zavvi and Game but doesn't actually include the charger which is an extra £10.22 from Amazon for an official one.

Gormond.

Comments

• SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the new 3DSXL uses microSD cards instead of SD? (I recently got a 64gb Samsung off Amazon cheap afew weeks ago) :)
  • JimallJimall Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I'm tempted to get one of the new XL versions. I absolutely love my Wii U so why not give the 3DS a go as well? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just did abit research & 64GB microSD cards don't work because the 3DS doesn't use the exFAT file-system! :blush: ... 32gb (FAT32) is ya limit! :)

(I couldn't use it on my RaspberryPii (retropie) for exactly the same reason) :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimall wrote: »
    I'm tempted to get one of the new XL versions. I absolutely love my Wii U so why not give the 3DS a go as well? :)

If ya can afford one then why not! ;-)
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll get one when they release a special edition in the UK, considering the XL can't change plates like the normal one.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    got a 3DS XL for christmas so no
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Just did abit research & 64GB microSD cards don't work because the 3DS doesn't use the exFAT file-system! :blush: ... 32gb (FAT32) is ya limit! :)

(I couldn't use it on my RaspberryPii (retropie) for exactly the same reason) :blush:
    Have you tried this guide - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2013/10/25/updated-how-to-upgrade-your-3ds-sd-card-to-64gb-and-beyond/ It tells you how to format cards of 64GB and over as FAT32 which apparently work on the 3DS.
    got a 3DS XL for christmas so no
    Yeah I was going to get one until I heard the New 3DS was coming out.
    brb wrote: »
    I'll get one when they release a special edition in the UK, considering the XL can't change plates like the normal one.
    You could have had the Zelda edition from the Nintendo UK store or Monster Hunter edition from Game.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »

You could have had the Zelda edition from the Nintendo UK store or Monster Hunter edition from Game.

I'd rather the inevitable Pokemon one with Z inevitably releases :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried this guide - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/blog/2013/10/25/updated-how-to-upgrade-your-3ds-sd-card-to-64gb-and-beyond/ It tells you how to format cards of 64GB and over as FAT32 which apparently work on the 3DS.

I'll certainly give it a try! :cool:

Cheerz! :D
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've pre-ordered one and will actually be downgrading from the 3DS XL to the "New 3DS". The big screens can be nice in some games, but in a lot of games it ruins the graphics and makes the 3D even harder to focus on. It is also quite weighty after playing for long periods of time.

The one question I do have relates to the 3DS System Transfer. What does it actually transfer? I realise it transfers over what is currently on the 3DS - but can this not be downloaded on the new one at a later time anyway since your downloads are linked to your account? What about Ambassador Games? Since they are presumably linked to your account, you could just download them again anyway? Or is the account stuck with the 1 machine?

The one thing I really dislike about Nintendo is its daft online download rules...
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the graphics improved on the new 3DS? Annoying that we still have blocky games on the 3DS but a PSVita can give wonderfully smooth graphics and look more like a home console in your hand. I'm sure that is down to cartridges vs. CD's but has technology not moved on enough yet where more information can be packed in smaller spaces so cartridges should have caught up a lot more by now, don't you think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    I've pre-ordered one and will actually be downgrading from the 3DS XL to the "New 3DS". The big screens can be nice in some games, but in a lot of games it ruins the graphics and makes the 3D even harder to focus on. It is also quite weighty after playing for long periods of time.

It's only a difference of 76g, I doubt it will actually be that noticeable as I manage to play games on the Wii U for hours without discomfort and it's controller weighs 162g more than the 3DS XL. My main issue with the standard 3DS is my hands are too big and they cramp up which doesn't happen on the XL model.

As per the 3D, I wont know till I have it. I hated the 3D on both the old models as it gave me a headache and a sore neck although i'm fine with 3D on my TV and at the cinema. I hope the 3D is as good as all the reviews are saying but if not I will just turn it off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Are the graphics improved on the new 3DS? Annoying that we still have blocky games on the 3DS but a PSVita can give wonderfully smooth graphics and look more like a home console in your hand. I'm sure that is down to cartridges vs. CD's but has technology not moved on enough yet where more information can be packed in smaller spaces so cartridges should have caught up a lot more by now, don't you think?

The graphics are better which is why we are seeing Wii ports such as Xenoblade Chronicles coming to it. My vita just sits gathering dust though as there are so few decent games to play on it and no new exclusives.

Both the 3DS and Vita use flash storage (similar to SD cards) for games and can store more data than CDs and DVDs so i'm unsure what you are referring to here. Nintendo and Sony have set a limit of 8GB currently (due to cost) but no game has even came close to this so there is no reason to increase it further ATM.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not any time soon for me. My XL still feels too new and on top of that I'm not fond of the release colours compared to the electric blue I have. I'll wait and see what pans out for them.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope - the one that I got in 2012 more than suits my needs.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »

Its more the screen resolution rather than the graphics. Vita has a near HD resolution screen whereas the 3DS doesn't.

Not a slagging match, just saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Its more the screen resolution rather than the graphics. Vita has a near HD resolution screen whereas the 3DS doesn't.

Not a slagging match, just saying.

When in 3D mode that's true (as it halves the horizontal resolution of the screen) but in 2D mode the 3DS is about as high a PPI as the Vita (which doesn't have an HD screen as that would be 1280 x 720 and not 960 × 544).

Nintendo 3DS - 3.53 inch display @ 800x240 = 236.61 or 132.15 PPI in 3D Mode
    New Nintendo 3DS - 3.88 inch display @ 800x240 = 215.26 or 120.23 PPI in 3D Mode
    (New) Nintendo 3DS XL - 4.88 inch display @ 800x240 = 171.15 or 95.59 PPI in 3D Mode
    Playstation Vita - 5 inch display @ 960 × 544 = 220.68 ppi

The lower resolution in 3D mode can be quite noticeable in games like Pokemon when you see the leaves falling when in 2D they look smooth. The main reasons for jaggies in games like Resident Evil Revelations is the lower specs of the 3DS has but hopefully the better specs of the New 3DS will fix this going forward if devs take advantage of it.
    New 3DS specs:
    - ARM11 MPCore 4x @ 268MHz (one reserved for OS)
    - 4x VFPv2 Co-Processor
    - 256MB FCRAM
    - 10MB VRAM
    - PICA200 GPU @ 268MHz
    - Dedicated Hardware Video Decoder

3DS specs:
    - ARM11 MPCore 2x @ 268MHz (one reseved for OS)
    - 2x VFPv2 Co-Processor
    - 128MB FCRAM
    - 6MB VRAM
    - PICA200 GPU @ 268MHz

Although I find the 3DS a better console but it's mainly due to the quality of the games and not the graphics. The bright OLED screen on the PS Vita really is nice but for me it sits gathering dust as it has no games I wish to play.

Also Sony slightly piss me off by using their own memory card format rather than SD card like the 3DS uses. For example a 32GB Vita card from Amazon costs an eye watering £54.99! compared to about £11 for a good SD card.

I would like to see both Sony and Nintendo boost their screens to HD 720 on their next major revisions for atleast 2D mode as most of us have phones at HD 1080 now a days and are used to a PPI of over 300.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh. Never mind :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    Meh. Never mind :)

Now i'm curious lol :D
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now i'm curious lol :D

I was being a bit of a prat pointing out that your info was pretty incorrect on the new 3DS specs and how the screen works. I thought about it, and figured that it's not fair to point it out - after all it's not as your fault that the info out there is wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    I was being a bit of a prat pointing out that your info was pretty incorrect on the new 3DS specs and how the screen works. I thought about it, and figured that it's not fair to point it out - after all it's not as your fault that the info out there is wrong.

Yeah i'm going with what i have read and i'm quite happy for you to correct anything inaccurate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK I think I know what you are referring to, in 2D mode you don't get true 800x240 but a 400x240 with a 2x horizontal AA filter (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds) This explains why many games look less jaggy in 2D mode than 3D mode.
    A native 400x240 resolution (or 800x240 output while in 3D mode) is physically the best Nintendo's handheld can muster here. However, it still carries the experience wonderfully for a portable, in part due to some smart design choices. For one, a 2x horizontal anti-aliasing filter is in place when set to 2D mode, adding a half-tone step to reduce jagged edges. It only affects this one axis, while the other is left entirely raw, but it goes some way to softening the blow made by the 3DS' low pixel density.

As per the hardware specs of the New 3DS I have been looking for more accurate information but have so far been unsuccessful. The information I used was from Wikipedia although after a second look I see no good source to backup this information so could easily be false. 3Dbrew.org claim to have the information - http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Hardware#New_3DS_Specifications This is the information everyone seems to be using.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had my 3DS since 2011 so I'd quite like a bit of an upgrade... but I'd like to make sure that it's definitely possible for me to perform a system transfer between my old 3DS (which has many of the Ambassador Games you can't get anywhere else) before I decide to fork out the £200 (I'll probably have to buy a cover plate and a Micro SD with larger capacity in addition to the console itself).
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'd like one but I'll be getting a Wii U first. Hopefully this year.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't wait, so I plumped for an Ambassador Edition off eBay. I paid £207 which includes the console, special edition Japanese plates, Smash Bro plates and the charging dock [if you were lucky enough to get an email it would have cost £180. Individually, it's worth about £190]. I wasn't sure about getting a white console, but I'm super careful with my tech gadgets and only ever play at home so it should stay nice and clean!

It'll also be nice to own something special, rather than a generic one.

Cannot wait for Monday! :P