Options

Can I insist on changing medication?

Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So after seeing a Psychiatrist nurse for an assessment, who then spoke to the supervisor of my therapist, and she said I am better than I was when I started therapy. Which is partly true, but my concentration, motivation and hope are still poor. I'm self harming again, and still suicidal. I told her all this, but my GP has been advised to keep me on my current medication (and its the highest dose).

Basically, I can't carry on like this, and I feel that I need to try something else, and I've tried counselling and CBT and its not really helping so I feel that difference anti-depressants would be better. So can I say that I think I need to try something else, despite what the nurse thinks?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Antidepressants take a few weeks to do their job on your brain chemistry. If you've not been on them long, your doctors will want you to give them a chance.

If you've been on them for a while & feel they are not helping, you can insist on a change of meds.

Good luck
  • Options
    SpaceCandySpaceCandy Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a speak with your GP. Sometimes 2 separate medications work better than 1 alone. Try and stick with therapy and contact the charity MIND they are really good.
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GreenMan67 wrote: »
    Antidepressants take a few weeks to do their job on your brain chemistry. If you've not been on them long, your doctors will want you to give them a chance.

If you've been on them for a while & feel they are not helping, you can insist on a change of meds.

Good luck

Well I've been on this dose for 2 months and been about 3.5 months in total, the only thing its helped is for example my checking of locks.

OK, I think I'll maybe say that I think it'll help.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's not been long that you've been taking them. It's often taken me a few months to start to see any positive results. But if you're not happy you can always request a referral to your consultant psychiatrist for a med review.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't insist on being prescribed a certain medication but you can discuss it with your doctor and come to a decision together. If your doctor isn't up to working in partnership with you then find another.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    But if you're not happy you can always request a referral to your consultant psychiatrist for a med review.

This good advice