Is an 8 piece band just too big?

2»

Comments

• MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't help but think that an 8 member group is not what they intend to end up with. They are probably preparing to ditch a couple if the group do well - see which members get a buzz going about them, which have skeletons in the closet, which can't get time off school, which get stung by a jellyfish etc, etc.
  • NathanScottNathanScott Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's weird.

It would be one of X Factor's biggest accomplishments if they were to ever become really sucessful.

Nothing works there.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it could work if they are all going to sing, then it will have a kind of Glee vibe about it, which young teens will eat up. However, judging from last week it looks as if they are going to push forward the 'best' singers to the front, which will result in five window dressings in the background. That would be a real shame as they all have decent voices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, it's just plain silly . .

Bloody expensive too into the bargain . .

8 gobs to feed, accom', travel etc . . .

No record company is gonna wanna take those bills on, get outta the 80's, it's over . .
  • Pimlico_PassPimlico_Pass Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you guys not remember a recent attempt to do this super big band thing with busted and mcfly - thankfully they got too old and it didnt work out so well.

These boys are young and fresh - so it could be the next big thing.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is such an experiment. If it's a mixed group like the one in XFUSA then I can understand they want to create the glee vibe....
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another problem is that a lot of them are very unremarkable and generic looking. There's nothing memorable about them.

The only ones who aren't are James and the small lad with the stretched ears

This is my thing with them. They're all so generic-looking and kind of unattractive. If there was even two striking-looking ones among them then I'd get it but I kept wincing throughout their performance. Does X Factor still do makeovers?
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you guys not remember a recent attempt to do this super big band thing with busted and mcfly - thankfully they got too old and it didnt work out so well.

I thought McBusted had a very successful tour and have plans or are currently working on an album?
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there 10+ in Blazing Squad?
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Wasn't there 10+ in Blazing Squad?

There was 10 exactly in Blazin Squad and the only member that stood out was Kenzie. There was also So Solid Crew who had multiple members (I think nearly 20). On their single 21 Seconds it allowed a lot of them to have "21 seconds" each on the song and quite a few members stood out like Romeo, Harvey, Lisa Mafia etc.

With this group, like others have said, they need to do more than just standing in a line and we need to see some personality from them. The only one I can recall from Stereo Kicks is the short one with the stretched ear lobes who reminds me a bit of a white Aston from JLS.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    They looked alright when they started with just four of them on the stage but when the rest joined it became a mess. They didn't add much to the performance it just looked like the backing singers had come out.

People are saying how big bands work in k pop but let's be real this is Simon and none of them look like they have the moves to pull off dance routines etc. The youngest two look out of place and Charlie can't do half the stuff like xtra factor and this morning because of his age and school. Add to that to the older ones being out having fun together at clubs the age difference is just more apparent and it must suck to be left out of all that.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    siriusrose wrote: »
    Took the words right out of my mouth, I think k-pop really exceeds with large membered groups as they find a way of using every member to enhance a performance. I love many of the 7 - 9 member k-pop groups, the dance performances they are able to create are very unique and visually stunning, they also manage to bring a lot of variety in their songs with members who can produce a lot of different types of vocals. Also, 8 members allows for a lot of exciting BVs and harmonies along with excellent rappers is they so wish.

Personally speaking I think 7 - 9 members groups are a lot more exciting, I just think X-Factor lack the creativity to create one which can really excel across a lot of performance fields and will just try and make a large vocal harmony group with pretty faces. I do think a groups so large needs to do way more than stand in a line...

I'd have two main singers (ie like NSync with JT & JC) then have three rappers and the rest just backing vocals/dancers, just a question of who would go in which role
  • commentcomment Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't work out so well? Well they played a sold out 36 show arena tour, they're tour is being shown in the cinema and they're currently making an album. Sounds very successful to me!
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comment wrote: »
    Didn't work out so well? Well they played a sold out 36 show arena tour, they're tour is being shown in the cinema and they're currently making an album. Sounds very successful to me!

Not forgetting at one point their new single was at 8 on iTunes a few days ago via preorders
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yip, McBusted are doing VERY well indeed. No flop there at all!
  • MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a bit pointless having 8 members to be honest. Their performance time is too short for everybody to sing, and it seems that they only have 1 singing the verses anyway. They don't seem to do much harmonising, and even if they did - with how the backing track is, it could be pre-recorded, could be live who knows?

I don't think there's anything special about them - i much prefer Only the Young, and i think Stereo Kicks will be pushed much more which is a shame as OTY are more talented and different I think.
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if they can keep the momentum going to week 4 I think they will sail through to the final. The selection has been very clever - you may say that there isn't much diversity, they all look the same with the same hairstyle etc. which is true to an extent, but the only base not covered with the members of Stereo Kicks is that they're all white - there's a lack of ethnic diversity which some may see as a problem. You've got the singer (James?), the youngest/pretty blonde one for the younger members, the alternative looking one (Jake, believe), the muscly/sporty one (Barclay), the older one (Tom? the football coach), I believe Casey is their attempt at the cheeky/bad boy of the group and the others I'm sure will come into some sort of role at one point.

I have no doubt that they will have everything put behind them this series. I'd say week three/four we will get the VT introducing them all by name where we "get to know each of them". I'm sure one or two of them will have a few crisis' of personal confidence, we may get a story about one of them being bullied at one point, and all in between all of that we will be told how the other lads have supported them and what good friends they are.
    I'd actually restrict the amount of time they give James (the best singer) on lead vocals and leave him to the ad-libs and give the other boys a chance to show that they can sing. I'd also lay off the backing tracks ("Roar" was particularly heavy handed with this one!) - 1D's main problem was that really, only Liam ever sang and all of their performances were laden with vocal tracks so they drew accusations of being talentless. If SK can overcome this, they'd have a decent shot at winning. Some smart, up to date song choices that will resonate with their demographic can do the rest of the work for them.
  • Minnie NinjaMinnie Ninja Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I think it's a bit pointless having 8 members to be honest. Their performance time is too short for everybody to sing, and it seems that they only have 1 singing the verses anyway. They don't seem to do much harmonising, and even if they did - with how the backing track is, it could be pre-recorded, could be live who knows?

I don't think there's anything special about them - i much prefer Only the Young, and i think Stereo Kicks will be pushed much more which is a shame as OTY are more talented and different I think.

I agree with re Only The Young, they do seem quite good and they are a bit different from the usual boy/girl band X Factor fodder. It will be a shame if they don't get the input and mentoring they need.

However, you are probably bang on and Stereo Kicks will get the favoured treatment as they were put together deliberately as an 8 piece.
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should replace the ugly ones. Not like they sing anyway. Might as well look good!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are a bit too small for a choir.
  • Minnie NinjaMinnie Ninja Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    They are a bit too small for a choir.

:D:D:D
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Simon is smart, he'd consider launching sub-units of the group to target specific audiences.

Not only will it gain them more fans, it will raise the profile of the individual members and the group as a whole.

Out of Stereo Kicks, they could have the sub-unit Stereo Rock, with a pop/rock concept, possibly with Reece as the lead singer along with Casey, Tom and Jake. There could be other possibilities in terms of concepts as well, maybe an R&B/urban unit or a dance/pop unit.

It would make the group a bit easier to take as 8 is a bit too much on the stage for western markets.
  • MilkitaMilkita Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if they can keep the momentum going to week 4 I think they will sail through to the final. The selection has been very clever - you may say that there isn't much diversity, they all look the same with the same hairstyle etc. which is true to an extent, but the only base not covered with the members of Stereo Kicks is that they're all white - there's a lack of ethnic diversity which some may see as a problem. You've got the singer (James?), the youngest/pretty blonde one for the younger members, the alternative looking one (Jake, believe), the muscly/sporty one (Barclay), the older one (Tom? the football coach), I believe Casey is their attempt at the cheeky/bad boy of the group and the others I'm sure will come into some sort of role at one point.

I have no doubt that they will have everything put behind them this series. I'd say week three/four we will get the VT introducing them all by name where we "get to know each of them". I'm sure one or two of them will have a few crisis' of personal confidence, we may get a story about one of them being bullied at one point, and all in between all of that we will be told how the other lads have supported them and what good friends they are.
    I'd actually restrict the amount of time they give James (the best singer) on lead vocals and leave him to the ad-libs and give the other boys a chance to show that they can sing. I'd also lay off the backing tracks ("Roar" was particularly heavy handed with this one!) - 1D's main problem was that really, only Liam ever sang and all of their performances were laden with vocal tracks so they drew accusations of being talentless. If SK can overcome this, they'd have a decent shot at winning. Some smart, up to date song choices that will resonate with their demographic can do the rest of the work for them.

One of the best post I've seen in this forum, everything you say is on point and those haters should read this !!!

I'm sure you're one of their big fans too as you could remember their names ;)
    achro wrote: »
    They should replace the ugly ones. Not like they sing anyway. Might as well look good!

Who is the ugly one ? I thought everyone looks good in the band, maybe he might not be your type of guys but all of them need to be different to appeal to different type of girls ;)
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Milkita wrote: »
    One of the best post I've seen in this forum, everything you say is on point and those haters should read this !!!

I'm sure you're one of their big fans too as you could remember their names ;)

Who is the ugly one ? I thought everyone looks good in the band, maybe he might not be your type of guys but all of them need to be different to appeal to different type of girls ;)

Haha thanks. I'm not a massive fan but I see the potential for them to be big. They're not really my thing with regards to music taste, but for X Factor they're alright.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Sadly they're going to be the last group standing.

You've got 8 members. Each member will have their family, friends and their own set of deluded teenage girls going crazy voting for them each week. It wouldn't surprise me if they got the most votes last weekend based on this.

If One Direction couldn't win X Factor, Stereo Kicks have got less chance of winning. If the final 3 were to consist of these lads, Andrea and Lauren I'm almost sure that Andrea and Lauren would get more votes as that's when more people tend to start voting for their personal favourites.