Would Ed Miliband really be a disaster as a Prime Minister?

ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For me, there has only been one truly disastrous post-war Prime Minister who clearly would never be up to the job - Alec Douglas-Home. Others had flaws and some made some terrible mistakes, but I think they were at least competent.

I don't think Miliband will be incompetent. He does strike me though as weak. I think he will rely on others to make difficult decisions for him. I think he would get through at least one term. He would be protected from significant challenge by virtue of that fact that he would be PM.

Would Ed Miliband really be a disaster as a Prime Minister? 232 votes

Yes
63% 147 votes
No
36% 85 votes

Comments

• 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say no.
    A fair few in the media and on here seem more bothered about his appearance than his policies but I don't think being a good PM is dependant on your ability to look good eating a bacon sandwich, so I think he'll do fine if he gets the job.
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be the 1992 Kinnock nightmare coming true...in some way.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, hopefully we'll never find out.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Cameron is a weak PM, he just has a smooth delivery and looks like a PM.

Ed Miliband is a different kind of weak. I don't know if he'll be able to hold the party together, although they don't appear disjointed at the moment.

If he did only one term he might be all right.
  • warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main parties have become obsessed with slogans and soundbites. It doesn't matter about policy. The coalition announced that they would bring back weekly bin collections; nothing happened.
    Ed has taken tlhis obsession to a new level; he announced that Labour will eliminate the deficit, but he has no idea where he will cur public spending. He announced that Labour will control immigration, but there is no means of doing so.
    The one thing he has done as a politician is to give us an insane energy policy.
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/12/19/the-true-cost-of-green-policies-energy-prices-up-60-percent-by-2030/
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,564
    Forum Member
    Yes, hopefully we'll never find out.

If the alternative is keeping things just as they are, I rather hope we do find out!
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think anyone would notice the difference between him and the present incumbent. :(
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the next major (world) problem comes along which needs careful judgement....and then a decision....(for example the 2013 situation in Syria), I would be content if the person making the call is either Ed Miliband or Boris Johnson.

The idea that David Cameron will make the judgement - and will then have to be stopped from proceeding by opposition parties - is disturbing to me.
  • sjp001sjp001 Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Was this question ever asked about Wilson, Thatcher, Blair or Cameron? Why are the media so down on Miliband? Aah, He doesn't look the part, He doesn't sound the part and He is slighty to the left of centre. I doubt Miliband will ever become PM, Cameron is super slick, and He won't be afraid to kick below the belt this time. Come May 2015 the nasty party will be back with a vengeance :(
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attlee and Wilson, now there were good Labour PMs. Miliband, and his shadow chancellor, will not last the pace to 7th May.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he will make a good PM, he has priciples and policies to make the country a better place. As opposed to Mr Cameron who wanted to be PM because he thought he "would be good at it" - how wrong could he be
    Remember, the same sort of comments were made about Tony Blair before the 1997 election and look what happened
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think he will make a good PM, he has priciples and policies to make the country a better place. As opposed to Mr Cameron who wanted to be PM because he thought he "would be good at it" - how wrong could he be
    Remember, the same sort of comments were made about Tony Blair before the 1997 election and look what happened

I disagree, As long as Ed Balls is anywhere near Labour's economic policy, Miliband is doomed.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would Ed Miliband really be a disaster as a Prime Minister?

Since he is a disaster both as a politician and shadow Prime Minister, then as sure as night follows day..........................................
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blair was one of the most popular politicians in history before the 97 election and Labour we're polling ridiculous numbers .

Miliband was less popular than Nick Clegg in a recent poll
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even Milliband has voted Yes.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Even Milliband has voted Yes.

:D:D:D:D:D....hilarious!
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you have to ask yourself is,
    imagine a tough talk between Ed Miliband and Putin......
    ......OMG, run!

OMG (again), Ed would have access to the nuclear missiles!

BTW, not convinced I would want Nigel Farage to be placed in the same situation either.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably not. He's been reasonably effective as leader of the opposition - he forced the Leveson Inquiry and blocked the bombing of Syria. Most of the criticism thrown at him tends to revolve around sandwich eating or not mentioning something in a speech, which might have given his opponents plasticine to throw at him but was hardly calamitous.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Cameron has been a disaster, Miliband couldn't be worse.
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Miliband is a theorist just like Michael Foot was. Their ilk are left wing intellectuals who've had a very easy ride due to inherited wealth rather than create it themselves.

As such he'd make a terrible Prime Minister and alienate the entrepreneurial spirit that traditionally makes up the Uk population.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cameron has been a disaster, Miliband couldn't be worse.

Cameron inherited a disaster. He has kept the ship afloat and started the recovery.

Milliband would set us back.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea that Miliband would do anything different than broadly follow the same course as Cameron is bemusing to me. There will be some policy differences but Labour and Conservatives are neo-liberal parties with much the same interests and ideology. So I don't think he would be much of a disaster beyond the fact that I'm not a fan of the current course whoever is supposed to be at the helm.

All the red team and blue team fanboys on here would do well to stop drinking the kool-aid.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Not really. Some people have this deluded notion this country is still a major player in the world scene and that we actually take decisions that matter. Ed Miliband is presiding over a party policy on domestic matters that is going to end up coming out remarkably similar to the tories anyway. And as for internationally, we are just swapping one suit for another.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Cameron inherited a disaster. He has kept the ship afloat and started the recovery.

Milliband would set us back.

Set us back how? Both parties are practically the same and have the same policies on deficit cutting.

Are you saying the markets are going to collapse because the next PM might have a slightly more nasal voice than the last one?
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather not find out for sure one way or the other