Options

Why are most women over 40 obsessed with plants, flowers and gardening?

ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im not saying all 40 plus women are obsessed with it but in my experience they are. My parents are on holiday at the moment and ive been charged with keeping the house in order, and that includes mother dearest's beloved plants:rolleyes:

I swear whenever she goes away she drills into me god knows how many times 'please water my plants'. Then when she's away and rings or texts home she wants to know how her plants are. You could tell her anything, the house has burnt the ground, the car's have been stolen, the cats are dead. But she'd really blow a gasket it it if her plants had died whilst away. She fumed with me last time because I forgot to water her Christmas plant and all the leaves fell off it and she had to chuck it out:o

Im not interested in gardening in any shape or form and think plants are ugly and clutter up the windowsill. But mum loves them and her favourite pass time aside from gardening is going to the garden centre. Its not just her though, all my Auntie's and mum's female friends are the same. She and our next door neighbour spend hours nattering over the fence complimenting each others geranimum's and pansies.

Will I suddenly become obsessed with gardening when I reach my early 40's?:eek:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I don't know what it is. Most pensioners I've met, male and female, seem to love gardening and building sheds and digging allotments... it's strange. It makes me wonder what I'm going to do with my time when I reach 70, because I'm not interested in gardening at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not saying all 40 plus women are obsessed with it but in my experience they are. My parents are on holiday at the moment and ive been charged with keeping the house in order, and that includes mother dearest's beloved plants:rolleyes:

Not all 40 somethings not this one and not any of my mates....... gardening just doesn't interest me at all, probably never will

And in answer to the last question hopefully not... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum isn't bothered about gardening but some of her sisters are :eek: they can spend alll evening outside tidying up the plants etc etc. I suppose it keeps them busy/fit but I hope I never get that obsessed about gardening :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relax...... its not compulsory to be good with plants when you're over 40 - I'm not :o Unfortunately I am the kiss of death to most plants, apart from a money plant in my downstairs loo window which thrives on neglect. Apart from that hardy specimen I only have artificial plants and flowers, even the hanging basket outside is not real:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relax...... its not compulsory to be good with plants when you're over 40 - I'm not :o Unfortunately I am the kiss of death to most plants, apart from a money plant in my downstairs loo window which thrives on neglect. Apart from that hardy specimen I only have artificial plants and flowers, even the hanging basket outside is not real:)

:D:D:D yep we sound sooo a like... I have often takena shine to plants in homebase or whereever, and my husband always says put it back let it live.. :D:D
  • Options
    ShadowmaidenShadowmaiden Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    polka.dott wrote: »
    My mum isn't bothered about gardening but some of her sisters are :eek: they can spend alll evening outside tidying up the plants etc etc. I suppose it keeps them busy/fit but I hope I never get that obsessed about gardening :p

This is what my mum is like! She can 'rescue' plants. Which basically means finding plants that are half dead or pot bound and saving them.

She had somed ready potted plants delivered while away and I swear some of the leaves are shrivelling up and ive followed her instructions:confused:
  • Options
    RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    Many obsess over their lady garden.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Because it’s a surprisingly relaxing interest/hobby with lots of awards and failure. In this country there is more of an interest in good food, organics, gardens and wildlife in older generations than younger. I noticed in Japan that teens will go happily to see cherry blossom or autumn colour so I guess it’s down to a lifestyle / culture thing. The garden world in this country is still mainly a reserve for older generations and the infrastructure, TV programs etc are geared for this. Go to any country hall and garden and whiteness the sea of gray hair. It’s also down to time and priorities. When you’re younger you focus more on friends, children and lifestyle- there are young people into gardening don't get me wrong but other pressures do push people away. As a Landscape designer I see this all the time- many clients are younger working couples etc wanting an instant low-maintenance garden. So yes you too may become green fingered later in life Its just the way it seems to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PiggyHiggy wrote: »
    :D:D:D yep we sound sooo a like... I have often takena shine to plants in homebase or whereever, and my husband always says put it back let it live.. :D:D

:D:D

You know it makes sense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just the ones over 40, I love flowers and gardening and I'm 14:o
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are many websites featuring women over 40 ( so says my friend Sven ) and while much action takes place in the garden, and often features a young gardener or two, mulching, dead-heading and pruning seem to be far from their minds.

There is, however, a fair amount of seed in evidence. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm afraid so, yes. :(
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been in love with flowers and gardening since I got married and had a house of our own. My parents have always loved gardening and so does my brother, it must be hereditary.

I hope my son and daughter learn to love it too. My husband doesn't know a dandelion from a daisy, he's only interested in sports, with a round or oval ball.;)
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I've been in love with flowers and gardening since I got married and had a house of our own. My parents have always loved gardening and so does my brother, it must be hereditary.

I hope my son and daughter learn to love it too. My husband doesn't know a dandelion from a daisy, he's only interested in sports, with a round or oval ball.;)

Good for you flowerpowa, what a sorry place the world would be if we didn't have plants and flowers ! :)

Some of you lot talk about it as though it's something to be ashamed of. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's what happens when we are confronted by our impending barrenness caused by the menopause.

As a result, we are all consumed by the need to wear floral dresses, gardening gloves and straw hats as we gently waft ethereally through our flower beds, enraptured by the sheer joy at bringing forth new life through the soil. :)

On the other hand, it's probably because there's nothing but utter crap on telly!!!
  • Options
    Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jazmine wrote: »
    I'm afraid so, yes. :(

It kicks in at about the same time that crimpolene and elasticated waistbands suddenly become an attractive option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It kicks in at about the same time that crimpolene and elasticated waistbands suddenly become an attractive option.

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And sensible shoes... don't forget sensible shoes....:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ............ and big sensible pants. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And the big slipper, of course.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because Alan Titchmarsh gives them the horn.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    It's what happens when we are confronted by our impending barrenness caused by the menopause.

As a result, we are all consumed by the need to wear floral dresses, gardening gloves and straw hats as we gently waft ethereally through our flower beds, enraptured by the sheer joy at bringing forth new life through the soil. :)

On the other hand, it's probably because there's nothing but utter crap on telly!!!

What a lovely thought, but I wasn't wafting very ethereally when I was digging up all my spuds down at the allotment. !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    I think it's because Alan Titchmarsh gives them the horn.

I can assure you he did not! :mad:

Oh, I see what you mean ......................... :o

I hope you're not referring to his steamy 'novel'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    What a lovely thought, but I wasn't wafting very ethereally when I was digging up all my spuds down at the allotment. !

You mean........... :confused: now hold on a minute. Next you'll be telling me that you don't wear Laura Ashley prints when you shovel horse shit onto your petunias? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Turquoise wrote: »
    I don't know what it is. Most pensioners I've met, male and female, seem to love gardening and building sheds and digging allotments... it's strange. It makes me wonder what I'm going to do with my time when I reach 70, because I'm not interested in gardening at all.
    Most pensioners probably do gardening because it gives them something to do (a hobby), because they have so much spare time on their hands.