Options

silent witness on bbc1 now

Comments

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not as good at solving these as some of you; Karim being the missing soldier was a complete surprise to me.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lowri wrote: »
    Going to Afghanistan was rather ridiculous, there was no good reason for them to go really.
    Worked out Dan's identity about 5 mins before they did.
    Thought it was quite clever how they made us believe they'd killed off Leo and then bring him back only to kill him again! Love Leo and I couldn't quite believe he's gone, don't know what he wanted to achieve though :confused: It's fair enough to walk off like that if he can have a heart to heart with the person holding the trigger but it was a remote madman who had the power, what exactly did Leo think was going to happen? He should have just told Dan to run.

I thought Leo leading him away was just to get him away from everyone else, and that he knew he himself was going to die.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Leo leading him away was just to get him away from everyone else, and that he knew he himself was going to die.

Yes and also to lead him away from the water plant, so the project would still be successful.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, the ending came out of the blue for me. Thought Leo would sail off into the sunset with his new Afghan totty, not get vapourised by a suicide bomber...

Some have been intimating that the stories will get more "real" with a new cast member, but frankly every time someone new arrives, it feels like the scenarios become even more off the wall.

Anyway, hope there is another series, as for all its faults (well because of them many times as they are quite funny) its a couple of hours of escapism.....
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Wow, the ending came out of the blue for me. Thought Leo would sail off into the sunset with his new Afghan totty, not get vapourised by a suicide bomber...

Some have been intimating that the stories will get more "real" with a new cast member, but frankly every time someone new arrives, it feels like the scenarios become even more off the wall.

Anyway, hope there is another series, as for all its faults (well because of them many times as they are quite funny) its a couple of hours of escapism.....

I think they announced at the end that there would be another series.

This last was was crackers really, it takes a mighty amount of 'suspension of disbelief' to assume that they'd all be allowed to go to some remote part of Afghanistan together. Even one of them going is nigh on impossible to believe.

Not sure why I still watch it really - maybe I just fancy Nikki ? :)
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    Not sure why I still watch it really - maybe I just fancy Nikki ? :)

With me, there is no "maybe" about it, I simply think she is hot....:o
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me and OH had guessed who was Dan as soon as he opened his mouth to speak english. We were convinced it was the totty that would get killed though.
    It's refreshing to watch something where we don't know from spoilers what's coming up.:) I try to avoid them but it's not always possible when they're on the front covers in the shops, or used in thread titles online.
    I hope there is another series too, so we can look forward to the shuffling of positions and maybe a new character.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merlinsmum wrote: »
    Me and OH had guessed who was Dan as soon as he opened his mouth to speak english. We were convinced it was the totty that would get killed though.
    It's refreshing to watch something where we don't know from spoilers what's coming up.:) I try to avoid them but it's not always possible when they're on the front covers in the shops, or used in thread titles online.
    I hope there is another series too, so we can look forward to the shuffling of positions and maybe a new character.

BIB According to BBC there will be another series in 2014 with Jack & Nikki. Doesn't say if Leo is going to be replaced though.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    BIB According to BBC there will be another series in 2014 with Jack & Nikki. Doesn't say if Leo is going to be replaced though.

He only really featured in the last two stories anyway. At the start of the series he was pretty much AWOL for most of the storylines. A couple of episodes Clarissa, had ,ore lines than he did!
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme has always been far fetched, but lately, each episode just becomes more absurd.

Pathologists are not detectives, and do not interview suspects, and witnesses, or make their own enquiries.

The concept of them all jetting off to Afghanistan to solve a six year old killing of a soldier is ridiculous.

Who is doing all the PMs, and pathology work back home? Although, they never have anything other than one or two cases on at a time anyway. No wonder their funding has been looked at.

I have to keep watching though to see how much further into the realms of fantasy they can take this.

Totally agree - this programme is so unrealistic. They should leave out all the love and romance as well ! Better to have something like Whitechapel, where the police work alongside the forensic team rather than have the pathologists seemingly doing all of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    They could have made it even more unrealistic by sending Clarissa to Afghanistan . It would have been interesting to see how she managed on her mobility scooter in the desert.

A big surprise at the end with Leo getting killed , and as another poster said it was at least nice to have this surprise rather than us all knowing about it in advance
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Nicki come home with a full size coffin? Leo would have been blown to bits, they could have collected him up in a carrier bag, together with the bomber's bits and pieces, :(
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not expect last night's ending at all :eek: I found it so sad when Nikki was speaking at his funeral at the end :(

I'm so glad there will be another series!
  • Options
    Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxamiexx wrote: »
    This is unbelievable really, that the three of them can just go swanning off somewhere abroad, let alone Afghanistan!!

As soon as I heard the English accent I thought it was the 'dead' guy, although they have confirmed the body is the missing solder for definite, DNA??

At least two of us have imagined this then -I also thought DNA had proved the body was Daniel.:confused:
  • Options
    lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Molly Hunt wrote: »
    At least two of us have imagined this then -I also thought DNA had proved the body was Daniel.:confused:

The identity was confirmed by the bloody fingerprint and the military dog tags (id tags).
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fI the budget is going to stop them going off on these daft foreign jaunts, seems to me it's doing SW a favour. The plots are fantastical enough even when they're set in the lab, with the scientists doing what they're actually paid to do. Giving them an exotic backdrop just goes to the scriptwriters' heads.

I was amused to see that the team's adherence to UK justice did not extend to wearing those white paper jumpsuits to examine the crime site. Presumably contamination doesn't happen in other countries? Instead, Nikki adapted to a Muslim country by wearing a sheer top with underwear showing. Plus headscarf.

I note that they made absolutely sure that William Gaminara will not be able to come back to the series.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, they buried Sherlock Holmes at the end of the last series...
    Maybe Leo will turn up in the next episode with his arm in a sling: Hollywood explosives and all that.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With me, there is no "maybe" about it, I simply think she is hot....:o

She's got a bit of a gob though.:)
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Of course, they buried Sherlock Holmes at the end of the last series...
    Maybe Leo will turn up in the next episode with his arm in a sling: Hollywood explosives and all that.

It was only a flesh wound.:eek:
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Better to have something like Whitechapel, where the police work alongside the forensic team rather than have the pathologists seemingly doing all of it.

Don't forget the Ripperologist that every police force employs :D
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Is Sam Ryan dead in the series? If not they should have had Nikki reading a eulogy from her or Harry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I just watched about 30 mins of the Afghan Sw then abandoned it and came here to see other opinions. I found that the lady playing the 'Afghan Dr.' didn't ring true. I found the entire scenario preposteroius. I found Jack annoyingly unprofessional and Nikki as obvioisly being glammed up(not that she needs it mind you - she is gorgeois anyway).

I'm glad I learned here about Leo beingkilled so leaving the series. I think they're going to make a go with Nikki as the centrepiece and everyone else aound her, whoever 'everyone else' is...

Personally I think SW really has run its course. Time for it to go. The stories are becoming more preposterous and less well thought out. They're running out of ideas. After 17 yrars, time to call it a day SW. Like they're going to try to run the 'new' New Tricks with Waterman, Lawson and Lyndhurst. Bollocks.

I think I just came to watch these last SW episodes to confirm my original suspicions of SW gpoing down the pan. With the Afghan nonsense and Leo leaving my suspicions are confirmed.

I'll miss Emilia Fox but she alone isn't worth putting up with this nonsense for. Sorry Emilia...
  • Options
    Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lammtarra wrote: »
    The identity was confirmed by the bloody fingerprint and the military dog tags (id tags).

Thanks for the explanation!
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got Series 9 and 10 of SW on DVD the other day, so this will help me with my withdrawal symptoms. I haven't seen any Series 9 or 10 episodes before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I just watched the last episode. I finally screwed up the courage to watch the last scenes. OMG how could they have written him out like that?! They actually have him arguing with a suicide bomber when the normal instinct would have been to run, get as far away as possible as fast as possible...? That scene was so stupid, I was almost shouting at the scriptwiters! At least if he had just been caught up in an explosion it would have made sense. But to have him put himself in harms way so pointlessly... Beggars belief...

OK that's over with. Maybe they ought to reinvent SW as 'Silent Witness: adventures in criminal pathology'. Then they could go anywhere a bit like Medecins sans Frontieres. They could be free lancers working anywhere and in any manner (forensics, police detection, social workers etc) that might have some tnuous connection to pathology. Abit like they have for the past 17 years. Except they wouldn't have the inconvenient pretence of being a formal set up stuck in a lab. They could be the Indiana Jones of pathology etc.

Goodbye Harry and Leo, the old SW. May you RIP.