The Guardian and 'Poor doors' in new build apartment blocks

AdsAds Posts: 37,056
Forum Member
I see the Guardian is making fuss about 'poor doors' in apartment blocks.

Basically these are separate entrances for housing association tenants living in the block, than for private residents, who have bought their flats. The housing association flats would have been built as a condition of the planning permission for the private blocks (a Section 106 agreement).

The Guardian article is here: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/25/poor-doors-segregation-london-flats

Its a reminder that its not just the Sun and Daily Mail that don't print all the facts to suit their agenda. 95% of the comments below the article are ranting against rich people and social exclusion, when in fact its Housing Associations themselves who want separate doors and separate facilities.

Service charges at private flats can be very expensive. £300+ a month is becoming more and more common as private blocks include gyms, swimming pools, cinemas etc. The entrances often have a concierge. How many housing association tenants can afford £300 a month?

Plus also around half the tenants will likely be on housing benefit, meaning the taxpayer would have to pick up the tab.

Housing Associations want to keep costs as low as possible for tenants so request separate entrances with basic fittings, eg vinyl flooring, as its easier to maintain,

The Guardian article is complete misinformation and stirring up class and wealth envy.

Comments

• tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I commented on this article and if you read the comments properly, you will see that many, just like me, are seeing this as a non story for the reasons you mention yourself. It is a financial and practical issue of what services are costed to what clients.

However, one factual correction, HB does not cover service charges, its for the rent element of accommodation only so if the service charge was something ridiculous like £300 pm for the housing association properties, it would have to be covered by the tenant. Thats fine if they are working but not if on full benefits, they just wouldnt have enough which makes the point about why those services are confined to the privately owned blocks.
  • KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really see the point of separate entrances. It's fair enough if they charge extra for extra facilities, or concierge services, so if you can't pay for them or don't want to pay for them, you shouldn't use them. However, once a lobby has been built and the elevators are running, what are the extra costs if all tenants use it? Wouldn't it actually cost more to build a separate entrance and separate elevators? It would also mean two places would need cleaning and more elevators would need servicing. I can't help but think that a separation of the wealthy and the less wealthy is indeed the aim here or, at least, a statement that those who don't pay the premium should use the backdoor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    The same story is carried in a number of papers, not just the Guardian though. It's also covered by the Mail, The Telegraph, the BBC, the NY Times and many other sites.

And Housing Benefit doesn't cover service charges.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kittiara wrote: »
    I can't help but think that a separation of the wealthy and the less wealthy is indeed the aim here or, at least, a statement that those who don't pay the premium should use the backdoor.

Indeed. It's just a convenient excuse to excuse it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kittiara wrote: »
    I don't really see the point of separate entrances. It's fair enough if they charge extra for extra facilities, or concierge services, so if you can't pay for them or don't want to pay for them, you shouldn't use them. However, once a lobby has been built and the elevators are running, what are the extra costs if all tenants use it? Wouldn't it actually cost more to build a separate entrance and separate elevators? It would also mean two places would need cleaning and more elevators would need servicing. I can't help but think that a separation of the wealthy and the less wealthy is indeed the aim here or, at least, a statement that those who don't pay the premium should use the backdoor.

They are usually manned 24/7 with cleaning and expensive maintenance due to the materials used. there are also usually alarm contracts to maintain, cctv contracts, swimming pools and gyms, gardening etc. Very expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

Plus also around half the tenants will likely be on housing benefit, meaning the taxpayer would have to pick up the tab.

The tax payer is currently picking up the tab of private tenants by artificially inflating housing prices.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I commented on this article and if you read the comments properly, you will see that many, just like me, are seeing this as a non story for the reasons you mention yourself. It is a financial and practical issue of what services are costed to what clients.

However, one factual correction, HB does not cover service charges, its for the rent element of accommodation only so if the service charge was something ridiculous like £300 pm for the housing association properties, it would have to be covered by the tenant. Thats fine if they are working but not if on full benefits, they just wouldnt have enough which makes the point about why those services are confined to the privately owned blocks.

Agreed, non story and I am sure those tenants who are 'segregated' don't really give a shite about separate entrances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, non story and I am sure those tenants who are 'segregated' don't really give a shite about separate entrances.

In fact there is a tenant of the social housing of the Commercial Street building who commented on the Guardian website. As he/she says, they are very lucky to have a flat in such a location as a social housing tenant.
  • KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    They are usually manned 24/7 with cleaning and expensive maintenance due to the materials used. there are also usually alarm contracts to maintain, cctv contracts, swimming pools and gyms, gardening etc. Very expensive.

Aye, and as I said in my post, if they charge extra for the gyms, gardens, pools etc then that is fair enough. But now there are two areas to clean and two areas to supervise and maintain, including extra CCTV, which will undoubtedly cost more. The cleaning and maintenance expenses are not going to cost more if a few extra people can use the same entrance. In one case in the article, a separate entrance was built for just two homes! I can't help but think that that was done to make a point...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You speak for all tenants do you?
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    You speak for all tenants do you?

Do you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowest of the low and exactly what is wrong with this country.

So much for society when a section of it want separate entrances for poorer people living in the same place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I'd be ashamed.
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there's financial reasons behind it that can be given but this is just one visual example of as a society how we are divided by wealth - whether by travel, postcode, education, leisure etc etc...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I fail to see why the apartments can't share a common access, but just have the extras such as the gym, pool or any other luxuries off limits to the social tenants. The entrance to such facilities can be easily secured with keycode entry, or a card system, with all of the more wealthy tenants and owners given access codes.

The biggest problem with the US apartments though is that the "poor" entrance seems to be down an alleyway. If there really must be a separate entrance why not just have it on the main street, but separate from the rich entrance. Less stigma.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any type of segregation is wrong and should not be allowed
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The rich folk should have a drawbridge and portcullis to their door
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I fail to see why the apartments can't share a common access, but just have the extras such as the gym, pool or any other luxuries off limits to the social tenants. The entrance to such facilities can be easily secured with keycode entry, or a card system, with all of the more wealthy tenants and owners given access codes.

The biggest problem with the US apartments though is that the "poor" entrance seems to be down an alleyway. If there really must be a separate entrance why not just have it on the main street, but separate from the rich entrance. Less stigma.

I don't see why this isn't an option either. From reading that article the 'social housing' flats even have separate lifts - the expense of that could easily have been used to put the 'luxury' facilities behind a separate door. I lived in a development where you could choose whether to join the gym/pool/bar facility... it was an extra cost and you got a key to the 'clubs' entrance off the lobby if you paid for it.

We shouldn't allow segregation of this kind - it smacks of a very old fashoned attitude where the servants had a separate entrance (and many people in social housing are in service jobs).
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The entrance is separate for the reasons given but I don't think sticking it down an alley out of sight is for the benefit of the "poor" tenants!
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Any type of segregation is wrong and should not be allowed

Agreed.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    We shouldn't allow segregation of this kind - it smacks of a very old fashoned attitude where the servants had a separate entrance (and many people in social housing are in service jobs).
    Agreed. Just because it isn't illegal to discriminate against how much someone earns doesn't make it morally right.

I would have thought society would have learned that segregation just simply does not work. Seems that we haven't. As an egalitarian, this sort of behaviour deeply concerns me, it's a throwback to the past which should have been left in the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comes to something when the US are doing something about it and we dare not even question it here:

"This week New York's mayor, Bill De Blasio, said he planned to take action to prevent new developments being built with separate entrances and facilities for low-income residents."
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    You must remember the tory idea is to make ALL council housing in london unaffordable so anyone either on benefits or any low paid workers will be forced out of london that is the idea of increasing council rents to 80% of market value rents, and we are not taking of new built places we are talking of council homes that have been there since 50s 60,70, and so forth and to be able to afford these rents, depending on which area you would having to be earning £82,000 per year, £66,000 per year , £45,000 per year and so forth. There does seem to be forms of social cleansing going on in the uk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Agreed. Just because it isn't illegal to discriminate against how much someone earns doesn't make it morally right.

I would have thought society would have learned that segregation just simply does not work. Seems that we haven't. As an egalitarian, this sort of behaviour deeply concerns me, it's a throwback to the past which should have been left in the past.

It depends what you think segregation is meant to achieve.

Mixed estates weren't exactly a roaring success.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    It depends what you think segregation is meant to achieve.

It's aim is to achieve segregation.