Options

What is happening at Birmingham City?

Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Much as I did when I saw the Southampton v Sunderland scoreline last week, I did a bit of a double take when I scanned the Championship results and saw right there at the top:

Birmingham 0-8 Bournemouth

Now I know that Birmingham were reduced to ten men early on and they're without a manager at the moment, but even so, to be thrashed so comprehensively AT HOME has got to be something of a new low for a club with such a great historical tradition as Birmingham City.

All I can think is that Villa fans must be killing themselves laughing at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    The club needs new owners and very quickly. But who would buy them in their present state? Hemhorraging money off the field and hemhorraging goals on it.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind a new manager, they need a new starting 11
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carson Yeung was the problem. He took control of the club and everything seemed to be on the up. However he was charged in Hong Kong on money laundering and sent to jail for 6 years in 2013. While he has given up the as director his holding company still own the club.

The club has been in a limbo state from his arrest in 2011 neither the fund to invest on and off the pitch and no real statement on looking to sell or keep going with the project. The have been circling the drain. Clarke did will given very limited resources just to keep them up.

Not a fan myself but a friend of mine his he says it is very much doom and gloom. They need to break out of the limbo state even if it means going down it might force them to sell up.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Must admit that I spent most of Sports Saturday in hysterics. However bad things get at Villa we only have to remember that is much worse being a nose. You do have to have a modicum of sympathy for the fans though as 1 home win in 25 is horrendous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 home win in 25

Bloody hell, I didn't realise it was as bad as that.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Much as I did when I saw the Southampton v Sunderland scoreline last week, I did a bit of a double take when I scanned the Championship results and saw right there at the top:

Birmingham 0-8 Bournemouth

Now I know that Birmingham were reduced to ten men early on and they're without a manager at the moment, but even so, to be thrashed so comprehensively AT HOME has got to be something of a new low for a club with such a great historical tradition as Birmingham City.

All I can think is that Villa fans must be killing themselves laughing at the moment.

Great historical tradition? Think you're confusing them with someone else.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great historical tradition? Think you're confusing them with someone else.

I know. Birmingham City have virtually no worthwhile history of success to speak of.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been downhill since they won the League Cup
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's such a weird coincidence that after cup success a lot of teams go to pot. Look at pompey
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's such a weird coincidence that after cup success a lot of teams go to pot. Look at pompey

And Wigan.(yesterday excepted)
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    I know. Birmingham City have virtually no worthwhile history of success to speak of.

I've never been able to get my head round this. How come a club from England's second biggest city are as "small" as Birmingham City are?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »

Well, OK - I wasn't referring to success specifically, just their long standing presence in and around the upper reaches of English football.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Idk what they expected after sacking Lee Cark. Oh well.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Burton Albion boss Gary Rowett, a former defender for Birmingham, will be the new manager

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29781713
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    I've never been able to get my head round this. How come a club from England's second biggest city are as "small" as Birmingham City are?

It must really grate on them that Villa have such an amazing history of success.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,031
    Forum Member
    I just hope they don't do the usual upturn in form when a new manager comes in as we play them next week!
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have referenced 8 as many times as humanly possible today at work :)
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must really grate on them that Villa have such an amazing history of success.
    History is the key word, they have not achieved much in recent years. Just 2 league cups in 32 years is poor for a club the size of Aston Villa. In fact, most of the trophies Villa have won were in the early years of the club's existance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    History is the key word, they have not achieved much in recent years. Just 2 league cups in 32 years is poor for a club the size of Aston Villa. In fact, most of the trophies Villa have won were in the early years of the club's existance.

I always wonder whether people do a double take when they scan down the list of European Cup winners and see Aston Villa's name there.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »

Aston Villa are a Birmingham club, aren't they? Although, you are right, I would have imagined that it would be the other way round (success-wise). It's weird!
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I always wonder whether people do a double take when they scan down the list of European Cup winners and see Aston Villa's name there.

They probably also do one when they see that Nottingham Forest have won it twice.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    They probably also do one when they see that Nottingham Forest have won it twice.

It was a lot easier to win it back then than it is to win the modern day Champions League.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowett's mad to take that job.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a lot easier to win it back then than it is to win the modern day Champions League.

Villa and Forest had to actually win the League to get into the competition, not just finish in the top four. It was hard to win it because the hardest part was qualifying for it in the first place.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The team is a hideous mess of old sweats on free transfers and inexperienced kids.
    Rowett will be a genius if he can do anything with that lot- he won't get any money either.

Lee Clark always looked he was about to burst into tears during interviews and it's hardly surprising. A complete shambles.
    My old man still goes to all the home games and he's seen some dogshit in the last 40 years- he says this is the worst it's ever been.
    Good luck to Rowett - hope he doesn't taint what was looking like a promising managerial career.