John Travolta's wife and the silent birth

Comments

• LFC4evaLFC4eva Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    whatsoever wrote: »
    If you are going to slag off the tenets of major world religions, at least get them right. The Immaculate Conception is the belief that Mary, the mother of Jesus was born without sin. The belief that Jesus was born to a virgin is the Virgin Birth. Quite different beliefs, and not all Christians believe one or both.

actually its not a slagging off major world religions, its mere sarcasm that people quite happily slag off scientology (due to aliens and other crazy stuff), yet are happy to believe over "accepted" religions without question.

oh and yeah you got me on a technicallity, but if we want to be picky some forms of christianity couldnt care less about mary they see her as just the mere carrier of the child, nothing more.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I truly beieve that people involved in this cult are mentally ill.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_phoo wrote: »
    Good luck to her I say. John Travolta is one of the few closeted stars I feel sorry for.

WHy do you feel sorry for JT? Hes lived a life of priviledge few can afford. I well known frequenter of gay bathhouses. He wants to have his cake & eat it. Infact these days hes had every cake in the bakery. Somethings gotta give!
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Lisa Marie Presley is (or was) a Scientologist, she bit down on a leather belt to stop herself making any noise when she gave birth (they think that the mother screaming and shouting will traumatise the baby). I recall from reading the papers at the time that her mother was quite upset by it.

Pricilla(sp) Presley has been a Scientologist for years and still is far as I know.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    becksy1892 wrote: »
    Agreed. I never understood how people can believe Scientologists are crazy for their beliefs yet Christians can believe that the whole world started when God sent down one man and one woman to earth...tripe :) Dont even get me started on Noah and his ark!

If there had been a nuclear war on Earth at any point there would be evidence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Does Scientology allow C-sections? Or is it supposed to be completely natural with no pain relief? :eek:

I could never give birth silently, or without pain relief. I wanna be good and stoned. :cool:
  • the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    WHy do you feel sorry for JT? Hes lived a life of priviledge few can afford. I well known frequenter of gay bathhouses. He wants to have his cake & eat it. Infact these days hes had every cake in the bakery. Somethings gotta give!

Aww I know there are plenty of other people that deserve my sympathy more but I can't help but feel for JT. He "made it" in the 70's which was a different time back then, compared with other Scientologists ;-) and pSycos I can see why he might have been quick to follow poor advice. My understanding of JT's situation is that he wants to distance himself from the Scientology sect and is keen to come out, hence why he has become increasingly careless in his liaisons with men.

That side to Hollywood is unpleasant but atleast JT isn't quite as seedy as Tom Cruise...
  • Benry_GaleBenry_Gale Posts: 1,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatsoever wrote: »
    If you are going to slag off the tenets of major world religions, at least get them right. The Immaculate Conception is the belief that Mary, the mother of Jesus was born without sin. The belief that Jesus was born to a virgin is the Virgin Birth. Quite different beliefs, and not all Christians believe one or both.

Are you not meant to believe the words of the bible? Seeing as its like, the whole basis of your silly religion?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,537
    Forum Member
    of course JT is not at all mental or gay............not remotely....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,449
    Forum Member
    fools and their money and all that
  • Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattyb wrote: »
    What utter, utter nonsense!
    Which moron seriously thought this crap up? Oh wait! It was Ron Hubbard. A man who was rejected by his family and believes everybody should live the same mental lifestyle he found comfort in, but you've got to pay for that privilege.

No wonder people reject this so called 'religion'. Oh sorry 'cult'. :rolleyes:

Didnt he 'create' Scientology when he was high or something, and wasnt he a SCI-fi writer?......Yeah that sounds believable :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueplast wrote: »
    Scientology is a sanitised version of a cult. I can't help but think of the line in Friends when Joey says something like he only had to pay $5,000 to reach Level 4 and he doesn't feel any different.

I gave birth to my third baby 12 weeks ago and can't believe that any woman could be completely silent pain relief or no pain relief. I had contractions that were so bad they gave me sciatica for 10 days afterwards! As for not talking to the baby for seven days I can some my feelings up in six words -

what a lot of total shite

Anyway I found this lovely little snippet about Scientology - thank you google-

"In Scientology doctrine, Xenu is a galactic ruler who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of people to Earth, stacked them around volcanoes and blew them up with hydrogen bombs. Their souls then clustered together and stuck to the bodies of the living. These events are known as "Incident II" or "The Wall of Fire," and the traumatic memories associated with them are known as the "R6 implant." The Xenu story prompted the use of the volcano as a Scientology symbol.

Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard detailed the story in Operating Thetan Level III in 1967, famously warning that R6 was "calculated to kill (by pneumonia etc) anyone who attempts to solve it."

Much controversy between the Church of Scientology and its critics has focused on Xenu. The Church avoids making mention of Xenu in public statements and has gone to considerable effort to maintain the story's confidentiality, including legal action on both copyright and trade secrecy grounds.

Critics claim that revealing the story is in the public interest, given the high prices charged for attaining the level of OT III."

And people pay a fortune to become a scientologist!!!

Fools and their money are easily parted!
  • Flubber.Flubber. Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From a midwifery perspective silent births are alot calmer for the mother and child and i'd think people have this perception that women scream bloody murder when giving birth when its actually kind of the opposite, your so focused and exhausted in what your doing that you dont have the energy to shout and curse your partner (with exceptions :p)

I dont agree with the practise of scientology and the not talking to the child for a week is just unfounded crap but silent birth is not as abusive to women as people try to paint it.
  • JazzSP8JazzSP8 Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    If there had been a nuclear war on Earth at any point there would be evidence.

There is...

http://www.hitbomb.com/evidence-at-mohenjo-daro/

And loads more if you look :)

(Don't think much of any religon as a whole, or Scientology)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I remember reading Katir Holmes was menat to do this when she gave birth to Suri.

Not a religion, more like a cult
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    http://www.scientologyparent.com/silent-birth-quiet-birth-understanding-needs-of-scientologists-expecting-a-baby/

I think it is more about having a calm environment - they can talk but there should be as few people there as possible and they should remain calm and speak as rarely as possible!
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, the whole idea of Scientology was made up by Ron L Hubbard - who up until then had been a "pulp" science-fiction writer (scientology references to spaceships etc).

My favourite Ron L Hubbard quote:
    You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.
    He said this in 1948. In 1950, he published his book, "Dianetics - the Modern Science of Mental Health" which is the 'bible' for scientology
    :rolleyes:
  • nextloislanenextloislane Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has KP had that baby yet, or what?

er...That's it really :D
  • FlyWhoBuggedMeFlyWhoBuggedMe Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    According to DS the poor child will be born into silence and no one will talk to the baby for a week!!

This is bananas, how can they believe this rubbish? The baby needs to hear its mothers voice to feel comforted.

Who is the father then? :D

Dianetics sounds like the name of a birth control pill.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I nearly got caught by the Scientologists when I was a student. They used to have a place in Tottenham Court Road but at the time they called it 'Dianetics'. I remember being asked to take part in a personality test so I went in and they asked me a few questions then they gave me this strange questionnaire. Being young and rather naive at the time I actually completed it.

Afterwards one of their counsellors told me that I had all sorts of defects with my personality which could be corrected if I enrolled onto one of their courses. I was actually quite offended so I said I didn't have any money and left. People with less confidence could well have been suckered in by that though.

They used to have an office in Brighton and I too was collared by one of these people. They also told me that I had a few personality disorders. I said pretty much the same and left. It only clicked that it was the same thing when you mentioned Dianetics. Absolute load of crap, sorry if I don't believe in the organised religion my family tried to bring me up with I am hardly going to fall for some idiot preaching to me that i have a psychological disorder and if I give them money they will cure me
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad:
    raye0274 wrote: »
    They used to have an office in Brighton and I too was collared by one of these people. They also told me that I had a few personality disorders. I said pretty much the same and left. It only clicked that it was the same thing when you mentioned Dianetics. Absolute load of crap, sorry if I don't believe in the organised religion my family tried to bring me up with I am hardly going to fall for some idiot preaching to me that i have a psychological disorder and if I give them money they will cure me

I was quite annoyed when they started on me but then I quickly cottoned on that, of course, they say this to everyone. I remember at the time listening to someone else in there talking about their depression and the dianetics crowd were telling this person that they could cure them :mad:
    This is how they grab vulnerable people, there should be a law against it.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to DS the poor child will be born into silence and no one will talk to the baby for a week!!

This is bananas, how can they believe this rubbish? The baby needs to hear its mothers voice to feel comforted.

That's the paradox, they'll be silent and barking mad at the same time :rolleyes:
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_phoo wrote: »
    Aww I know there are plenty of other people that deserve my sympathy more but I can't help but feel for JT. He "made it" in the 70's which was a different time back then, compared with other Scientologists ;-) and pSycos I can see why he might have been quick to follow poor advice. My understanding of JT's situation is that he wants to distance himself from the Scientology sect and is keen to come out, hence why he has become increasingly careless in his liaisons with men.

That side to Hollywood is unpleasant but atleast JT isn't quite as seedy as Tom Cruise...

Dooooo tell....:o:p!
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    raye0274 wrote: »

They still do, it's right by Churchill Square - my son has just started going into town on his own and I warned him not to talk to people with questionnaires...
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Scientology is no different to any other religion in my opinion.