The new Midsomer Murders with Neil Dudgeon Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 10 mins left guernseysnail
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    The plot is insulting, the countryside is full drunken rapists apparantly. Murder someone because they are outsiders argghhhh. Boring, awful,stupid unbelievable plot. When did the locals all acquire west country accents. I thought the villages of midsummer were full of home counties types, mythically between guildford and oxford. Some lazy tristam in ITV must have been watching Straw Dogs for this one.
  • prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    Worst. Episode. Ever.

and that's saying something!

I'm not sure I'll even bother next week :mad:
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice little quote from Henry II Though I couldn't work out if it was supposed to be set in Somerset or West Virginia. :confused:
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 10 mins left guernseysnail

I gave up, the whole thing took a turn I didn't like much.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    God his acting is aweful.

dead silence in the air after every line. like a rhetorical closed statement.

seems like so many foils and absurd explainations its now

"Midsummer for Dummies ".

Note to script. We are not children,:rolleyes:

EDIT:

Just sussed it.

He talks to the watching audience...not the players opposite.
    Thats why he is so ...odd or at odds with the flow.

Its like those whodunnit murder mystery groups who go around the country playing at dinner parties.........( " or is it, Jones ? " said in Dudgeon to the camera pose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the script writers changed then? I just don't understand how its become so bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    The plot is insulting, the countryside is full drunken rapists apparantly. Murder someone because they are outsiders argghhhh. Boring, awful,stupid unbelievable plot. When did the locals all acquire west country accents. I thought the villages of midsummer were full of home counties types, mythically between guildford and oxford. Some lazy tristam in ITV must have been watching Straw Dogs for this one.

I was okay with the episode until the drunken rapists bit. Then I was less than happy. Stupid, sexist and insulting plot. MM can be sexist at times but they went too far this time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute crap.

Only watch it now for the dog.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it until Tracey Emin on WDYTYA now switched back to ITV+1, but it is crap, what villages today are so remote. The Horn Dance is in Staffordshire and Warren Clarke calling his daughter Mi Duck is Midlands.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,884
    Forum Member
    Caught some of this earlier. Has a TV series ever made such a dramatic nosedive in quality as Midsomer Murders? It's almost bizarre what's happened to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,821
    Forum Member
    Glad everyone else thought the same as me about what a ridiculous episode it was tonight!! :eek:
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    CHeez........what a Farce. :confused:

I was hoping they would shoot me half way through ....but it just got worse and worse and then they couldnt stop themselves over acting , over dramatising, overlong OVER OVER OVER ....make it stop .....and there is still 10 minutes of summing up to do ....:yawn::yawn::yawn:

ITs just purile SH8te .

Midsommer and the Dudgeon and writers need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Amature Dramatics meets spoof movies.

Seems Like everyone had to much of the Beast !!!!
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's escapist drama people, I've not read one positive post on tonights episode.

I enjoyed it for what it was, and don't really see that it's any worse than the Nettles era in terms of plot credibility. The production values are still present as are the list of great guest actors.
  • Lizzie60Lizzie60 Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    The worst yet! Being country born (albeit 61 years ago:o) I was deeply insulted by how we country folk were portrayed. Who writes this crap and how do they get away with it? Their research is dire. Get it off our screens asap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Liparus wrote: »
    It's escapist drama people, I've not read one positive post on tonights episode.

I enjoyed it for what it was, and don't really see that it's any worse than the Nettles era in terms of plot credibility. The production values are still present as are the list of great guest actors.

I was positive about it. I said it was watchable. That was until the stag crap near the end. That just took the episode and made it unwatchable. And none of Nettles episodes were that unrealistic and sexist.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up with it quite quickly.

To use a musical analogy, given the acceptability of the Nettle's series, the current one is like a dodgy "tribute band."
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm the stag run at the end was over the top (a little too much perhaps for MM), I did however chuckle when those blokes almost collapsed knackered on the hill and went back home.

I thought the sub plot with the Amish style community could have been fleshed out more too.

Sometimes (and not soley a fault of MM, but of many dramas) we can watch a 2 hour (or shy of with adverts) drama, comedy or other genre and the characters are not fleshed out or used to full potential. Contrast this to other shows half the length and the opposite happens.

The key as always is in the writing.

Many critics of the show may wonder why well established actors take part in MM and other over the top dramas. The answer is of course that it is work and publicity.

I remember my Dad saying back in the 60's that his Uncle used to be perplexed as to why Burgess Merdith was playing the Penguin in Batman (with Adam West, kapow!) - he thought it was terrible that a great actor would demean himself - but again it was a job and probably well paid(ish) for the time. The same goes for Richard Basehart in one of my favourtie shows Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do we keep doing this to ourselves? Why faithfully watch each episode hoping it will get better? That's 2 hours of our lives we will never get back. No more for me, it is getting worse instead of better.

I'm even getting nostalgic for the wooden Joyce and the middleaged looking Cully so things must be pretty bad:D
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is me finished with this total pile of garbage.

I gave up after half an hour, and wont be back for more.

No way will I blame the actors for this turgid trash, as it boils down to writing and direction, both of which lack any of the silly humour of the John Nettles era.

Loyalty to a show goes only so far, and I have wasted enough time hoping the show will improve.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tasi wrote: »
    I'm even getting nostalgic for the wooden Joyce and the middleaged looking Cully so things must be pretty bad:D

I got "nostalgic" for the gruesome twosome after the first ND episode frankly.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute crap.

Only watch it now for the dog.

Ahh, I love his dog, it's almost identical to Doc Martin's / the late Aunty Joan's dog. Wonder if it's the same?
  • domedome Posts: 55,875
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it, I found it hilarious escapism.

This is the only series of Midsommers that I have watched and enjoyed every episode from beginning to end. I'm certainly not missing the wooden acting of John Nettles & co.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie60 wrote: »
    The worst yet! Being country born (albeit 61 years ago:o) I was deeply insulted by how we country folk were portrayed. Who writes this crap and how do they get away with it? Their research is dire. Get it off our screens asap.
    This particular pile was written by one Nicholas Martin. His website is here and (unwisely, maybe) there's a number for his agent. So if you wish you can phone to complain - though it won't get you far!

They get away with it, presumably, because the writers, producers, commissioning people and paymasters are all part of a clique that shares the same backgrounds, biases, ignorances, preconceptions and cynical distain for the audience that allows them to dish up any old carp - like the one in Martin's website mugshot - and assume that we'll be grateful for it. They probably do not care if we aren't, such is their insulation / dismissiveness of viewer reaction and surety of getting more work from their equally smug buddies in the future.

On a more practical note, it does list other stuff he's working on so we could save a few hours of our lives by avoiding. Nice of him to provide such a public service.