I cannot decide whether matthew is arrogant or just over confident.

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He knows he's good and cannot hide the fact that he knows how good he is.
  • JustMomJustMom Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such rubbish! He was very honest when he came on last night praising Chico for last week,he said he deserved to win and he was the better skater last night.

I hate these threads that try to demolish another contestant just because their favourite is not doing so well.
  • Jellybaby9000Jellybaby9000 Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charley, Matt's girlfriend seems very hard faced. I think she's got him under the thumb a bit to be honest.

Or maybe I'm just being biased because Charley seems to be so chummy with the awful Kym Marsh?

Of course they are chummy kym marsh is charley's sister in law.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Charley, Matt's girlfriend seems very hard faced.

She's famous for it:p
  • Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    He knows he's good and cannot hide the fact that he knows how good he is.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

He knows he's one of the untouchables and the best of the bunch of celeb skaters, and I think he's having trouble playing along with the humble attitude you're supposed to have on these shows.
  • KathySparkKathySpark Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustMom wrote: »
    Such rubbish! He was very honest when he came on last night praising Chico for last week,he said he deserved to win and he was the better skater last night.

I hate these threads that try to demolish another contestant just because their favourite is not doing so well.

I realised that was what this was all about last night. What they dont realise is that there is not enough people on here to sway the results no matter how many things they say about somebody..:rolleyes:
  • whoyouarexowhoyouarexo Posts: 6,099
    Forum Member
    I agree.

He's in danger of being the forum Ricky Whittle for this series of DOI. Nice bloke, works hard, performs well, gives genuine responses in the interview segments, demands the best from himself and gets slated for not being 'humble' enough.

Yes, totally agree!

Mathew for me is so genuine, he doesn't whine, he gets on with it, he always wants to improve, he gives his actual reaction instead of pretending to feel something.

The sad thing is people here will only support the underdog, the person whose not confident etc.

If this was in USA, Matt would go down a storm!

Any sign of confidence and its immediately turned into arrogance.
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    I think you have hit the nail on the head.

He knows he's one of the untouchables and the best of the bunch of celeb skaters, and I think he's having trouble playing along with the humble attitude you're supposed to have on these shows.

I don't know where people get this 'arrogance' from. Matthew comes across to me as someone who wants to do well - and he's his own worst enemy in that he gets cross with himself when he doesn't.

As a perfectionist myself, I really get where he is coming from.

He's not competing against the others. He's competing against himself!

(And that's not arrogance - it also doesn't equate that he THINKS he is the best. He just aspires to do the best he can. There's a difference).
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I go with neither?

In my view, he is not arrogant and he isn't over confident. However, he seems to enjoy the skating, and he wants to skate to his best abilities. I might not always enjoy his routine the most, but I can appreciate that he seems to have talent and tries hard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    He's neither. He's a smashing chap:)

Agree! Good luck to him! :)
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Yes, totally agree!

Mathew for me is so genuine, he doesn't whine, he gets on with it, he always wants to improve, he gives his actual reaction instead of pretending to feel something.

The sad thing is people here will only support the underdog, the person whose not confident etc.

If this was in USA, Matt would go down a storm!

Any sign of confidence and its immediately turned into arrogance.

Spot on! If Matthew was arrogant, why would he be beating himself up (not literally!) a few weeks ago when he didn't perform to his best ability? Others commented that he was being really harsh on himself even though he got high marks from the judges, and he even said he didn't feel he deserved them.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had never seen/heard of Matthew before DOI & still have no idea what it is he does for a day job! I really don't see him as arrogant or over confident, if I was to be 'picky' I would say his main problem is he seems to lack much personality, but that presumably is just the way he is.

Couple of posts above compared him to Strictly's Ricky Whittle, who was very talented but lost out for being (according to some viewers) "over competitive" etc.

Still beats me how anyone can be too competitive when taking part in a competition (however much of a bit of fluff - as DOI has been described somewhere above - the competition might be.

Unfortunately, every year, as soon as viewers start voting, the results prove Brits prefer the weak underdog to those who "do good".
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    JustMom wrote: »

So, so agree with this........it is possible that not one particular skater should have the best moves or marks during the competition....the criterias set will be tough to judge/marked compared to the last 2 or 3 years:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Such a British thing to be negative about someone who works hard to try and achieve success. He seems neither arrogant nor over confident, just enthusiastic and why shouldn't he!
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Such a British thing to be negative about someone who works hard to try and achieve success. He seems neither arrogant nor over confident, just enthusiastic and why shouldn't he!

Precisely! Why can't someone just be good and confident? Confidence helps you to succeed anyway.

Contestants are criticised if they are good and they're criticised if they're crap. I think this country revels in mediocrity.
  • whoyouarexowhoyouarexo Posts: 6,099
    Forum Member
    Tejas wrote: »
    Spot on! If Matthew was arrogant, why would he be beating himself up (not literally!) a few weeks ago when he didn't perform to his best ability? Others commented that he was being really harsh on himself even though he got high marks from the judges, and he even said he didn't feel he deserved them.

Exactly.

I remember Chris Fountain getting called arrogant a couple of years back, just because he didn't constantly make a play for the underdog votes, hes like Matt in that respect.

Matt as you said, does beat himself up, when he doesn't do this best, as did Chris.

Why does this make people arrogant, for wanting to do better, not moaning and not faking that they aren't good when they are?!

I found Suzannes consistent whining about her "non confidence" alot more taxing then Matts so called "arrogance"
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not noticed that he is full of himself, to be honest. But I only watch a bit of the show these days when I'm doing the ironing, so perhaps I am wrong. Ray Quinn was awful, so arrogant it made you want to switch off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tasi wrote: »
    I've not noticed that he is full of himself, to be honest. But I only watch a bit of the show these days when I'm doing the ironing, so perhaps I am wrong. Ray Quinn was awful, so arrogant it made you want to switch off.

I didn't think Ray was arrogant either!
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me neither! I always find these threads amusing, defending one person by saying someone else is arrogant. Actually the only one I find arrogant at the moment is Andy, who clearly thinks he is a lot better than he is.
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me neither, in fact I so disliked him previous to his stint on DOi but he was great very exciting to watch.

I do not understand why people would think Matt is arrogant at all, he is quite an understated person with no false modesty and not an ounce of arrogance imo.