Are the lower ratings due to...

Comments

• happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they will shorten the show now that we have seven left. Also, the earlier slot last night won't have helped it. I thought last nights show was the best of the series so far.
  • saiwongsaiwong Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too have gone off Dancing on Ice this year and been thinking as to why ????

After much thought it it comes from the changes made to last year competition.
    They add all the twists that didn't sit well with me. I do understand that you
    make changes to a show to keep it fresh but the changes were negative. The
    changes promoted rivalry between the skaters which was against the spirit of
    the show. It seemed to me that the creators of the show lost what this show was
    all about. It was seeing amateurs learning new skills and improving each week
    and displaying what theyv'e learnt to the UK audience in a great skating show.

However, this postive spirit was lost by introducing the twists, and to me the
    whole atmosphere of the show has now changed.
  • miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    too long
    too many ad breaks

nothing to do with Jason not being there, I'm soooo glad he isn't also Holly's departure hasn't made a difference to me
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    ...Jason's absence, or Holly's absence, or both ? Or some other factor ?

I certainly prefered Jason & Holly to their replacements
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Not picking well enough known stars and it being too long. The thing that can save it in my books is if they have fewer couples next year and reduced to 13 to 15 this year which has been ridiculous. If dancing on ice wants to survive in the future it will need to make some wholesome changes. :cool:

Strictly come dancing cut down on the couples and it has survived so if dancing on ice can do it then we would have a show that doesn't become too long winded. I would say that certain pros and this is my opinion anyway need the axe, probably Frankie and Lucasz are my tips to go as the others devise more entertaining routines. :)

As well as that I think that Maria filipov needs her fans back as now I think the producers are treating her like rubbish by giving her some duffers. The year she won with ray Quinn had the second highest ratings for a final so itv bosses have a lot to think about and digest to my mind. :)

Christine bleakley looks a bit of a disappointment in my books. Someone who could be so good seems to have really fallen short of expectations and itv should be worrying with whether they have made the right decision or not by hiring her. :eek:

Unless they buck up it looks like dancing on ice looks like it is doomed in terms of ratings and maybe on its way out. Holly shouldn't have been asked to do the new show as she is pretty much missed by myself and a load of dancing on ice fans. :(
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the DOI producers had any real control over Holly leaving to do The Voice, except that she presumably has more to do and say, so it's a better job.

Less celebrities in week one is definitely required, and the chance to get to know them better. I don't think it matters hugely that they aren't all really well known names to start with, and it would matter less if there was a support show so that they all (including pros) get the chance to show their personalities. It is definitely good that there aren't any WAGS amongst them this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I think I've seen someone say in this thread that the celebs are know where near as good as the ones they used to get early on (status wise, not skating). Forgive me but hasn't doi always had lesser names than scd? Stefan booth was never that well known, gaynor Faye was the average soap star that they get every year, Clare buckfield was more known as dec's ex and Kyran Bracken at the time was not a huge name to the general public. I don't think the standard has got worse, if anything it is slightly better this year due to the amount of soap stars/Hollywood actors. I'm not saying I knew of Corey before hand but it was a surprise he was on the show much like vanilla ice. Thoughts anyone:) ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    The show needs Holly back and the judging panel needs to consist of Karen, Jason, Robin and Emma.
    Katrina, as much as I respect her, she is at least a professional skater, all she tends to say is "I agree or I can't add any more" and then at least four times a show gets tongue tied and doesn't know how to articulate herself. How can she judge if she can't comment.

As a gay man I find Louis one stereotype too much, there is enough campness from the dancers and sequins.
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love the show but haven't watched it as much for some reasons. The main reason being the show is on for about two hours and you get about nine or ten skaters with lots of ad breaks. The routines have also been shortened to one minute each which means your watching ten mins of actual skating in a two hour show with lots of ad's and filler. Another reason I've gave up watching is all the twists like the dual, ice pick last year and the ultimate skills theme replacing the required elements. If ITV stopped playing with the show and gave us back longer routines with required elements and better known celebrities and stopped using music that's already been used then I'd begin to watch the show again but it's far too much filler. Honestly, you could shorten this week's main show to about an hour.

The only positive of this series in my opinion is the judging panel is much better Katarina has a much wider knowledge of skating than Emma who knew nothing about skating or performance and some of the celebs on this year's show would actually be more qualified i.e. Heidi Range is in a girlband so why was she not a judge. Emma going was the best thing to happen to the show along with Jason going and being replaced by Louis who is actually funny and offers constructive but not personal criticism. :)

Also Holly needs to come back and the camera work is abysmal and is also a reason I turned off.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    Not picking well enough known stars and it being too long. The thing that can save it in my books is if they have fewer couples next year and reduced to 13 to 15 this year which has been ridiculous. If dancing on ice wants to survive in the future it will need to make some wholesome changes. :cool:

Strictly come dancing cut down on the couples and it has survived so if dancing on ice can do it then we would have a show that doesn't become too long winded. I would say that certain pros and this is my opinion anyway need the axe, probably Frankie and Lucasz are my tips to go as the others devise more entertaining routines. :)

As well as that I think that Maria filipov needs her fans back as now I think the producers are treating her like rubbish by giving her some duffers. The year she won with ray Quinn had the second highest ratings for a final so itv bosses have a lot to think about and digest to my mind. :)

Christine bleakley looks a bit of a disappointment in my books. Someone who could be so good seems to have really fallen short of expectations and itv should be worrying with whether they have made the right decision or not by hiring her. :eek:

Unless they buck up it looks like dancing on ice looks like it is doomed in terms of ratings and maybe on its way out. Holly shouldn't have been asked to do the new show as she is pretty much missed by myself and a load of dancing on ice fans. :(

Lukasz has hardly been given a fair crack of the whip in terms of his partners & has gone out week 1 both times so how you can make pronouncements on him is strange. He & Alex are fantastic skaters and both need to stay & get good partners next year (Sam has been Alex's best celeb partner but he's not really a top contender). Also it's T&D who do the choregraphy not the pros so any criticism of the routines lies at there door not the pros.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jakboi wrote: »
    The show needs Holly back and the judging panel needs to consist of Karen, Jason, Robin and Emma.
    Katrina, as much as I respect her, she is at least a professional skater, all she tends to say is "I agree or I can't add any more" and then at least four times a show gets tongue tied and doesn't know how to articulate herself. How can she judge if she can't comment.

As a gay man I find Louis one stereotype too much, there is enough campness from the dancers and sequins.

Katarina is the best judge there now. Yes she occasionally gets tongue ties but it adds to her charm IMO. She isn't like that most of the time though and has come out with far more useful & insightful comments that Emma could ever dream about.
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family stopped watching it after about the 2nd week. It had gone from a' not to be missed' program to a 'what's on the other side' one. From what I read on here, it hasn't improved in the weeks since we stopped

I can't see how they can get another series out of it without a drastic rethink and will Mr Dean take advice or is he always right and everyone else wrong?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Would-be Divas Barber & Beakley is just my opinion .................as well as probably the show has run its course
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the first series i havent actually watched religiously.....

i personally liked jason gardiners imput on the show besides his bitchy attacks which i used to ignore i did think he used to speak alot of sense about the actual choreography. (if only he hadnt been so rude about it) he was honest though.

I also liked nicky slater on the panel, we had a good mixture of comments

now we have wonderful robin- the rose between two thorns whos voices just make me want to switch over. I know people cant help their voices but we have 2 out of 3 judges screeching on and i just need the mute button when they start talking......

yes i would say the show was far far better with jason! (holly i havent even noticed has gone im afraid).
  • fredsnailfredsnail Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main problem is far too much padding, too many adverts, too long on a Sunday night, too many skaters in the first few weeks.

Then you have Karen who looks like she's sucking lemons unless she knows the camera's on her.

Christine doesn't bother me as much as I thought she would - I wasn't fussed on Holly so it's a fairly equal swap IMO.

Katarina is a vast improvement on Emma, however I liked Jason's comments - sometimes he overstepped the mark - but he was always gave constructive criticism and it obviously meant a lot to the skaters if he gave praise as they understood that it meant they'd improved.

It's just all very nice this series - and although nice is good - the spikiness of Jason gave some spark to the series.
  • DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just way too long with way too many ad breaks

I remember before this series started they said there was going to be a major revamp with the contestants skating in the round (which never actually materialised)

Next year, reduce the number of contestents, main show on Saturday and results show on Sunday

And I don't miss JG at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wild at heart is losing viewers too, so maybe it's competition from the drama on the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should bring Jason back as the fourth judge next year. The show definitely needs another judge,it just doesn't look right with three. Also, the chereography this year became boring with too many lifts and I agree that it is too long
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can a score of 30.0 be divided into 4; it will mean marking out of a maximum of 7.5, instead of 10.0 or 6.0; either that or mark out of 40.0 as per SCD.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think it's because the show is too long and there are too many adverts. The format is also becoming a bit stale. They either need to change the format of the show or the ratings will continue to slide further. I also think having the main show on Saturday and the results show on Sunday would be a good idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    How can a score of 30.0 be divided into 4; it will mean marking out of a maximum of 7.5, instead of 10.0 or 6.0; either that or mark out of 40.0 as per SCD.

Yes, mark them out of 40 with four judges
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked emma bunton & jason was a bitch but at least he said it like it is and made the show watchable.
    I think the vt's have been cut down alot from previous years and at least we don't have the awful dancing in ice friday.
    Or coleen filling in who is dire the show is too long and dragged out two and a half hours is a long time.
    Am actually looking foward to this week cause it's only an hour and a half long due to having less contestants less.
    I think they should cut down the contestants from 14 to 12 and get rid off christine she isn't right for the show.
    Surely there are other tv presenters out there.
  • HerefordgirlHerefordgirl Posts: 3,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saiwong wrote: »
    I too have gone off Dancing on Ice this year and been thinking as to why ????

After much thought it it comes from the changes made to last year competition.
    They add all the twists that didn't sit well with me. I do understand that you
    make changes to a show to keep it fresh but the changes were negative. The
    changes promoted rivalry between the skaters which was against the spirit of
    the show. It seemed to me that the creators of the show lost what this show was
    all about. It was seeing amateurs learning new skills and improving each week
    and displaying what theyv'e learnt to the UK audience in a great skating show.

However, this postive spirit was lost by introducing the twists, and to me the
    whole atmosphere of the show has now changed.

Been saying the same sort of thing myself.

Gaynor Faye was on R5L last week taking about starting in Emmerdale and they asked her about DOI and she said it was a completely different show now - when she won, it was "about the journey" but now it's not.

I'm bored of it. It's still an hour and 40 minutes in the schedules tonight - an improvement but still... I just don't care any more. I've not watched the results show properly all season and it clashes with Homeland tonight so not going to bother.

The best place to watch DOI is on here, and I think I'll do that now. Seb going has taken a lot of what little spark there was out of it for me, he and Chico were the only ones entertaining me. So I'll see when Chico skates from posts on here and if I'm in time, flick over, or make use of the +1.
  • HerefordgirlHerefordgirl Posts: 3,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    I think they should cut down the contestants from 14 to 12 and get rid off christine she isn't right for the show.
    Surely there are other tv presenters out there.

Christine contributes so little that I barely notice she's there. I wasn't a fan of her on Daybreak but, despite my fears, the whole of the rest of the show is now so dire she's not even on the radar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karen Barber is the worst thing about it right now IMO.