What was Louis watching?

Comments

• TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    I agree with Louie and Jorgie is my favourite by a country mile.

It doesn't matter how hard the prop is to use if the performance falls flat and doesn't go anywhere.

It was elegant, graceful, pretty and appeared to be executed perfectly but there just wasn't anything in the routine, it was literally just skating around the ice twirling that bloody ribbon with a few lifts twirling the ribbon.

I felt really let down by it.

It's not Louie I'm annoyed with it's Chris, didnt he watch his choreography back and think, this just doesn't have any content. As for Chris' reaction to Louie, well if he came up with some decent choreography maybe the judge who is marking choreography wouldnt tear it apart.

And I'm not 100% convinced by Robins mistake, maybe bottled it?

Totally agree BIB I have a feeling that he was probably shot a look from Chris off camera given Chris's reaction to Louie's score and think Robin felt pressured to up the mark. I don't think it was that good it was flat and emotionless and even the skating done in the routine was basic. Matts going on twitter whining because it was perfect and they are confused well whats to be confused about yeah it was executed well but it was boring and there was no real performance.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I would agree that Jorgie skated perfectly, but only because what she did was so basic. Personally I thought she looked like a small child in the audience at the circus, playing with a ribbon her mummy bought for her at the merchandise stand. Compared with the others it looked pathetic!
  • ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I'm not 100% convinced by Robins mistake, maybe bottled it?

I agree completely, it was when Philip decided the scores must be wrong that Robin suddenly said he meant 8.5. Good for Louie sticking to his guns. There is no rule that says Jorgie always has to be the best - or is there? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Louie's point was that Jorgie did not put as much of herself, as much energy, into the performance tonight - probably because she was concentrating on the ribbon. Jorgie agreed that Louie might have judged that correctly.

That's the way I saw Louie's marking too, so I don't have a problem with it.
  • whoyouarexowhoyouarexo Posts: 6,099
    Forum Member
    I agree completely, it was when Philip decided the scores must be wrong that Robin suddenly said he meant 8.5. Good for Louie sticking to his guns. There is no rule that says Jorgie always has to be the best - or is there? :rolleyes:

Im not sure you know, I don't think Robin would do that then add 3 marks if it wasn't a mistake!
  • PeggysDadPeggysDad Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jorgie's prop was potentially the hardest, however she didn't do anything remotely difficult with it.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooperone wrote: »
    Sorry I don't think it was a hard prop.....just my opinion......Jorgies that is

I'll have to assume that you know this from personal experience ie you've done an intricate dance routine on the ice waving a ribbon? Personally, I'd rather believe Christopeher Dean's assertion that the ribbon is a difficult prop.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PeggysDad wrote: »
    Jorgie's prop was potentially the hardest, however she didn't do anything remotely difficult with it.

the potential for tripping over the ribbon is the difficulty, and also coordinating the arm movements with the skating. Jeez, some of you are tough critics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the potential for tripping over the ribbon is the difficulty, and also coordinating the arm movements with the skating. Jeez, some of you are tough critics.

She didnt' do anything with the ribbon really. While she was busy with her basic forward skating she just left the ribbon to stream out behind her - you are supposed to keep it moving - now that might have been a bit more impressive. She only twirled it when safe in Matts arms. May well have been down to Chris Dean giving boring choreography or perhaps Jorgie just performed it in a boring way. Certainly came over as totally bland and forgettable and in the context of the others having multiple props did seem a strange choice to give anyone. She really did not skate it with any visible conviction. Safe, boring , bland - I have to agree with Louie even though i find him an irritating twonk and I like most of Jorgies performances - just not this one.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Do you guys not realise it was a hard prop?

Do you not realise that people actually do have genuinely different opinions? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icedragon wrote: »
    She didnt' do anything with the ribbon really. While she was busy with her basic forward skating she just left the ribbon to stream out behind her - you are supposed to keep it moving - now that might have been a bit more impressive. She only twirled it when safe in Matts arms. May well have been down to Chris Dean giving boring choreography or perhaps Jorgie just performed it in a boring way. Certainly came over as totally bland and forgettable and in the context of the others having multiple props did seem a strange choice to give anyone. She really did not skate it with any visible conviction. Safe, boring , bland - I have to agree with Louie even though i find him an irritating twonk and I like most of Jorgies performances - just not this one.

Well I liked it - She was graceful, she did a spin, was lifted, did the airoplane, threw the ribbon so that Matt caught it and generally did everything she was meant to do. The score from Louis was a bit of an insult.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I liked it - She was graceful, she did a spin, was lifted, did the airoplane, threw the ribbon so that Matt caught it and generally did everything she was meant to do. The score from Louis was a bit of an insult.

She was graceful but boring. And there was no spin. What she did was move herself around on the ice with her free foot but that does not constitute a spin - basically a two footed move. I will concede she did a nice spiral but the ribbon was really only twirled when she was stationary or in Matts arms - that's really not difficult.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    As for Chris' reaction to Louie, well if he came up with some decent choreography maybe the judge who is marking choreography wouldnt tear it apart.
    Louie is under the impression he's the only one who marks "choreography" or "performance" depending on the mood he's in, but believe it or not, the skating judges are very capable of including the whole performance in their marks, which includes both skating and "choreography".

But according to Louie, he judges the execution of the choreography, so thinking the actual choreography isn't to his tastes isn't an excuse to mark stupidly low.

The reality is that the nature of making a tv show is they all had to have different props, and unless you've skated with all of the different props, it's impossible to know just how hard each of them is, so it was unfair to mark Jorgie down so substantially on the element that was least in her control, and not comparable to her competitors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de3djMUN0Lc - This is skating with a ribbon.

I get that it's difficult and she only had a week to master it but it would have been nice to see her do something other than let it trail behind her and give it the occasional wiggle.
    Poor effort from Jorgie tonight but not unsurprising as her performances have been average at best for weeks now. She's the only skater who doesn't seem to be improving.
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louie broke the Golden Rule: Nobody, but nobody is allowed to criticise Ayatollah Dean's choreography
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is another that thought Robin got it wrong and quickly moved the goal posts. Having said that, although Jorgie's permormance was lovely, it wasn't no where near as entertaining as the performances of the others.
    As for Louie, last night proves he should not be in that seat. He is pathetic and irritating, please get rid for the next series.:mad:
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tasi wrote: »
    Louie broke the Golden Rule: Nobody, but nobody is allowed to criticise Ayatollah Dean's choreography

He wont be back next year:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tasi wrote: »

I don't think he did. It was Jorgie's performance he criticised.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with him too

There was something missing from Jorgies routine - it was bland and lacked anything really

This is the first routine of Jorgies that I havent liked - Louie was right, no emotion, lacked performace, she skated well but it was almost like she was having an out of body experience and just going through the motions
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    I agree with him too

There was something missing from Jorgies routine - it was bland and lacked anything really

This is the first routine of Jorgies that I havent liked - Louie was right, no emotion, lacked performace, she skated well but it was almost like she was having an out of body experience and just going through the motions

I thought it was beautiful. It flowed beautifully. Less was more in my view last night. Some of the routines looked messy and disjointed while Jen hardly skated at all.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of criticism for Louie's low mark for Jorgie last night - makes a change, usually he's torn apart on here for what people perceive as over-marking! So maybe a bit of 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't'... but as far as I can recall this series it's the first time that one judge has marked noticeably (as in more than 1.5 or 2 marks) lower than the other two - and that's if we're taking Robin's word for the fact that his score came up wrong. (I am - he has no reason to fib about it and never usually has any difficulty justifying any score he gives which is widely different from any other judge.)

So tearing Louie apart now, for this one occasion where his mark was 2 marks lower than Robin's and Katrina's seems a tad unfair and an over-reaction. I wonder if those who are the most vociferous about Louie's mark are also those who dislike him the most too.

FWIW I watched Jorgie's routine back today and, although I could sort of see that her choreography was supposed to be telling a sort of 'boy meeets girl' story through the ribbon (at least, that's what I interpreted it to be!) it didn't quite come off. Whether that was because she was preoccupied with the ribbon or worrying about the throw to Matt or whatever I don't know, but it did seem a bit 'flat' in its execution.

But, as ever, all of our opinions are just that - subjective opinions - when it comes to judging emotion and use of the prop. I'm prepared to listen to any skaters on the forums who can spot the skating skills (or not - and some seem to think that Jorgie IS still lacking in some key skills) because I don't skate and I have to take their word for it.

But to slate Louie for one low mark which he was entitled to give (again, subjective opinion) seems unfair to him. We can't all like the same thing, and he gave his comments without any nastiness, just gave his reasons whether we agreed with them or not. And, guess what - even the 'favourites' can sometimes get duff marks. There isn't a rule which says marked high one week, marked high every week is there?

Personally I found Chemmy's routine much more fun and exciting to watch last night than Jorgie's (and she didn't deserve to go home on that performance - Jen, however, should have gone, but that's a subject for a different thread, lol!) but if that's down to T and D getting her choreography wrong then Jorgie can't carry all the blame for that.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,542
    Forum Member
    Selena wrote: »
    The routine was boring plus the skating moves were quite basic.

Thats the routine she was given and ppresumably performed as she was coached to. If you answer the question set you get the marks. You can't have random examiners suddenly deciding that they think someone else higher up's question was too easy and doesn't deserve the marks.T and D would probably argue that no one else could do that routine and they liked it.

If judges want to criticise T and D they ought to do it afterwards and not show it in their marks. Tand D can then either improve or sack them - they cant have judges challenging them on air and marking their choregraphy down.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,542
    Forum Member
    PeggysDad wrote: »

But there's no evidence she was meant to do anything more difficult with it. If she was meant to perform the routine differently or it was meant to have more content no one has said so. Louie's either marking the choregraphy or expecting her to do it in the OTT way he would. If she's done what she's been told, in the way everyone has told her to, she gets the marks.

There's something going on . Its possible Louie just can't mark, and that T and D can produce dull choregraphy.Jorgie's had two duller routines in a row, though, for no good reason. This week she got a dull routine while everyone else got an opportunity to clown around for easy votes. Its possible that they just want to make it look ike a competition , or they want someone who can fully commit to the tour to win, or they want to get people voting, or they are stuck with a big X factor hopeless case vote and have to make Chico look better than he is.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of criticism for Louie's low mark for Jorgie last night - makes a change, usually he's torn apart on here for what people perceive as over-marking! So maybe a bit of 'damned if he does, damned if he doesn't'... but as far as I can recall this series it's the first time that one judge has marked noticeably (as in more than 1.5 or 2 marks) lower than the other two - and that's if we're taking Robin's word for the fact that his score came up wrong. (I am - he has no reason to fib about it and never usually has any difficulty justifying any score he gives which is widely different from any other judge.)

So tearing Louie apart now, for this one occasion where his mark was 2 marks lower than Robin's and Katrina's seems a tad unfair and an over-reaction. I wonder if those who are the most vociferous about Louie's mark are also those who dislike him the most too.

FWIW I watched Jorgie's routine back today and, although I could sort of see that her choreography was supposed to be telling a sort of 'boy meeets girl' story through the ribbon (at least, that's what I interpreted it to be!) it didn't quite come off. Whether that was because she was preoccupied with the ribbon or worrying about the throw to Matt or whatever I don't know, but it did seem a bit 'flat' in its execution.

But, as ever, all of our opinions are just that - subjective opinions - when it comes to judging emotion and use of the prop. I'm prepared to listen to any skaters on the forums who can spot the skating skills (or not - and some seem to think that Jorgie IS still lacking in some key skills) because I don't skate and I have to take their word for it.

But to slate Louie for one low mark which he was entitled to give (again, subjective opinion) seems unfair to him. We can't all like the same thing, and he gave his comments without any nastiness, just gave his reasons whether we agreed with them or not. And, guess what - even the 'favourites' can sometimes get duff marks. There isn't a rule which says marked high one week, marked high every week is there?

Personally I found Chemmy's routine much more fun and exciting to watch last night than Jorgie's (and she didn't deserve to go home on that performance - Jen, however, should have gone, but that's a subject for a different thread, lol!) but if that's down to T and D getting her choreography wrong then Jorgie can't carry all the blame for that.

For completeness sake :

Week 1 : Andy A (Louie scores 1.5 lower than Robin, 2.0 lower than Katarina)

Week 2 : Nobody

Week 3 : Jennifer (Robin scores 1.5 lower than both Louie & Katarina), Matthew (Louie scores 1.5 lower than Katarina, 2.0 lower than Robin), Sebastien (Louie scores 1.5 lower than both Robin & Katarina), Sam (Katarina scores 1.5 higher than Robin, 2.0 higher than Louie), Chemmy (Katarina scores 1.5 higher than both Robin & Louie)

Week 4 : Nobody

Week 5 : Chemmy (Louie scores 1.5 lower than Katarina, 2.0 lower than Robin), Matthew (Katarina scores 1.5 lower than Robin, 2.0 lower than Louie), Rosemary (Katarina scores 1.5 higher than Robin, 2.0 higher than Louie)

Week 6 : Chemmy (Louie scores 1.5 lower than Robin, 2.0 lower than Katarina), Jennifer (Louie scores 1.5 higher than Katarina, 2.0 higher than Robin)

Week 7 : Heidi (Louie scores 1.5 higher than Robin, 2.0 higher than Katarina)

Week 8 : Nobody

Week 9 : Nobody

Week 10 : Jorgie (Louie scores 1.5 lower than Katarina, 2.0 lower than Robin).

It's not actually been that uncommon for one of the judges to make themselves an outlier to the other 2, although I can see why it drew more attention this time than any other. The only other time I remember it causing this much comment is when Katarina went coo-coo for Rosemary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I love Louie but I think he was wrong last night. Torvil and Dean probably gave her the most difficult prop to deal with, but this wasn't totally apparent to the judges as she made it look too easy.