✭✭
    The 2 best jokes of the night were...

1. Charles on about the weather
    2. Cheryl Cole
  • Manc-RedManc-Red Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Agreed, she looked totally out of place at an event like this alongside music legends.

Seriously, my gf had her head in her hands whilst I laughed uncontrollably at her vocal "attempt"....

Possibly the worst I've ever heard by a so-called chart-topping star.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maureens wrote: »
    Got to be "Cheryl" trying to sing that brilliant country song loved by millions normally,but now have her version of "need you now" stuck in their heads:o Gary Barlow WTF were you thinking?:eek:

It's a fantastic song (when sung properly) but it was a strange choice for the two of them. Especially when at least one of them cannot sing.
  • Jo VialityJo Viality Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sazaleeno wrote: »
    Grace Jones, Will.i.am and Stevie Wonder (even though he's one of my all time favourites) thinking it was the Queen's birthday. :o

Her birthday was moved this year to coincide with the Jubilee.
  • madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Manc-Red wrote: »
    Both voices were trash - they remain icons however.

Do you think that's because of their age then? I thought Elton sounded like he head something stuck in his mouth but I didn't think Paul's voice was as bad - no he's not the singer he was but wouldn't we all be like that at that age? I'm sort of semi-jubilant that we've celebrated the different decades but the person I missed tonight, well two actually, were Rod Stewart and Barry Manilow but fair play to Gary and his back up team for pulling this off. Overall, a great display.
  • Manc-RedManc-Red Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think that's because of their age then? I thought Elton sounded like he head something stuck in his mouth but I didn't think Paul's voice was as bad - no he's not the singer he was but wouldn't we all be like that at that age? I'm sort of semi-jubilant that we've celebrated the different decades but the person I missed tonight, well two actually, were Rod Stewart and Barry Manilow but fair play to Gary and his back up team for pulling this off. Overall, a great display.

I think with a lot of these guys it is an age thing, obviously Tom Jones for example still has am absolute wonderful voice that is on the button & purred through his set tonight with absolute ease...

Rod Stewart still has a pretty good Live voice.... Manilow not so much....

Hey, they're old now... that's life I suppose
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Cheryl went REALLY out of key and did like a little shriek
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    It's a fantastic song (when sung properly) but it was a strange choice for the two of them. Especially when at least one of them cannot sing.

In other words neither of them :p
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but the person I missed tonight, well two actually, were Rod Stewart and Barry Manilow.

Also David Bowie.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Elton sounded like he had something stuck in his mouth

Insert obvious gay joke.
  • BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Would you like to be on the Jubilee concert Cheryl?"
    " Ohhh ahh Gary, I don't knooo, Ya knooo I can't sing live"
    "It'll be fine Cheryl... I'll duet with you and cover you up".
    "Naaa pet.. Ya know I can only mime".
    "Tell you what, I'll put you beside the Queen at the end and Simon will hate it"
    "OK Gary. Where do ahhh sign?":D
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rolf Harris making sure he got the last line of Two Little Boys after Lenny Henry tried stopping him.
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Cheryl Cole practically poking her head in at the side of the screen and shouting 'HI MUM' while stood next to the Queen at the end. I just got images of a string of Military Wives and Kenyan kids being left in the same state she left that toilet-attendant in as she barged her way to prime position. "Bagsy standin' next ta' Queen!!!! Ah'll knock ya oot sparko if ya get in me way, lyk!"
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 15,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to be "Cheryl" trying to sing that brilliant country song loved by millions normally,but now have her version of "need you now" stuck in their heads:o Gary Barlow WTF were you thinking?:eek:

Doubt that he was thinking; the BBC televised this and wanted to shoehorn in their "stars" from their very successful and expensive The Voice :rolleyes:. Tom Jones, William (no, I cant be a*sed with unnecessary punctuation) and Biffa. Only the Irish bloke dodged it.
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Tom was fantastic, as was Shirley, but then I'm biased because I'm Welsh. I was disappointed with Elton and Cliff, both seemed to have new dentures for the occassion. McCartney was as i expected, no surprise there. Cheryl Cole mangled and strangled a beautiful song.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    BBTweets wrote: »
    Rolf Harris making sure he got the last line of Two Little Boys after Lenny Henry tried stopping him.

I didnt watch the whole show just kepts turning over to see who was on. Then Rolf came on and for some reason my husband likes him !! Well when he got stopped in mid 2 little boys my husband went ballistic lol.. How dare they stop him singing just cos some bloody american cant get on the stage on time lol.... Then Stevie Wonder came on....
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Supercell wrote: »
    I just had to go and have a rummage on You Tube to check it was as bad as I originally thought... I needn't have bothered.

I heard the first notes on the piano and recognised it and suddenly thought Oh No! they are going to ruin this song, and one of them duly obliged....:cry:

She was pitifully bad. Barlow was far more tuneful and oversang her continually.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    felixrex wrote: »
    Cheryl Cole practically poking her head in at the side of the screen and shouting 'HI MUM' while stood next to the Queen at the end. I just got images of a string of Military Wives and Kenyan kids being left in the same state she left that toilet-attendant in as she barged her way to prime position. "Bagsy standin' next ta' Queen!!!! Ah'll knock ya oot sparko if ya get in me way, lyk!"

LOL

For me the funniest bits.

Lenny Henry's gag about 3 black people sinking like the Titanic.
    Biffa's attempt to sing.
    Rob Brydons gag about "Queens" dying on its backside.
    Rolf finishing his song over Lenny.
    Biffa making sure she got her ugly mug in the shots by standing by the queen.
  • justannejustanne Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D i heard the piano and thought nooooooooo please dont sing this lovely song...... and they did:cry:

Did she actually sing one note in tune????
    I think not.
    Terrible performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul McCartney's weird little po faced mouth at the end of the show. And his continual need to dye his hair and smooth out his face. Why do men do this? Keith Richards has a terribly lined face and looks 100 but he has character and has co written some of the best songs ever.
    I dont think it matters that EJ can sing so much. He isnt a singer so much as a singer/songwriter.
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Will I Am wishing the Queen a Happy Birthday (!)
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I took a break while Cliff was on - I didn't miss much then?

I took a break through the whole thing.

Doubt I missed anything.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me...

Cheryl trying to sing and failing
    Gary sucking up to the queen, desperate for the knighthood eh
    Most of Charles speech but for a good reason it was lovely and the way the crowd cheered for Phillip made me feel proud
    The comedians falling flat, special note to Lenny for that
    The Mexican wave fail. It looked quite good until the cameras moved off it
    Grace jones-bizarre
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There wasn't much that was intentionally funny. It was cringeworthy from start to finish.
  • cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have just read on the Telegraph that the queen might not have been able to hear half of it as she's thought to have been wearing discreet ear plugs as she apparently did for the Golden jubilee concert. I love that. :D:D

They weren't that discreet, we noticed that she had them in when she arrived.