On line bullying

TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now that there are plans to make it easier to get the names of bullies on things like D.S., Twitter and Facebook, I might rejoin Twitter.
Why should they hide behind user names?

Comments

• Nard DogNard Dog Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am rethinking my twitter name @feckingbignastybully
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    You think a few choice words and some harsh criticism posted on the internet amounts to bullying? That's not bullying, and if you think it is then you wouldn't know real bullying if it came up to you and punched you in the face.
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    You think a few choice words and some harsh criticism posted on the internet amounts to bullying? That's not bullying, and if you think it is then you wouldn't know real bullying if it came up to you and punched you in the face.

When our autistic, epileptic daughter died ( we had been her carers for over 30 years,) I mentioned it on my facebook and twitter page. The replies i got, were astounding...

Glad the cretins dead... One less moron... you should have been neutered.... That is just a selection

I hope this never happens to you about your children Caladri. Because, until it does you could never understand the hurt and physical pain it causes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are only words. People should fight back with there own choice words or ignore.
  • peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tasi wrote: »
    When our autistic, epileptic daughter died ( we had been her carers for over 30 years,) I mentioned it on my facebook and twitter page. The replies i got, were astounding...

Glad the cretins dead... One less moron... you should have been neutered.... That is just a selection

I hope this never happens to you about your children Caladri. Because, until it does you could never understand the hurt and physical pain it causes

were the pages public? or just viewable by your friends? if the former, then there's a lesson for you, keep grieving private. if the latter, get new friends. sorted.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unpleasant though your experience undoubtedly was, I think the lesson is obvious: don't post personal information on the internet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could have prevented that physical pain (though how on earth you felt physical pain is beyond me) by not leaving your facebook wide open for window lickers and protecting your tweets. Just saying.
  • Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member

^^ This. Online bullying of the "youre a fat ****" makes me laugh i just go apeshit back at them ranting and laughing at the same tme.. but this kind of thing abusing a parent who has lost a child IS online bullying i agree with the people doing it being prosecuted and i hope it never happens to anyone who is just shrugging their shoulder off. Its an abuse of your grief at a time when you are at your lowest and most pain ridden and it is 100% NOT acceptable.:mad:
    Forum Member
    peon wrote: »
    were the pages public? or just viewable by your friends? if the former, then there's a lesson for you, keep grieving private. if the latter, get new friends. sorted.
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Unpleasant though your experience undoubtedly was, I think the lesson is obvious: don't post personal information on the internet.
    You could have prevented that physical pain (though how on earth you felt physical pain is beyond me) by not leaving your facebook wide open for window lickers and protecting your tweets. Just saying.

WHY is it her/his issue? why is the issue not with the downright nasty sh1theads doing this? I despair i really do.:rolleyes:
  • Barnes5603Barnes5603 Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why do people announce their private business on these sites? What do people actually expect will happen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a member of your family died in the 70's, would you go round announcing it to all and sundry in random pubs or wear a sandwich board with the news on? No. So why do it now in cyber form?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    ^^ This. Online bullying of the "youre a fat ****" makes me laugh i just go apeshit back at them ranting and laughing at the same tme.. but this kind of thing abusing a parent who has lost a child IS online bullying i agree with the people doing it being prosecuted and i hope it never happens to anyone who is just shrugging their shoulder off. Its an abuse of your grief at a time when you are at your lowest and most pain ridden and it is 100% NOT acceptable.:mad:

i think some people need protecting from themselves. if they are naive enough to think that everybody in the world feels their pain and will be kind enough to say so on their public grief-page, then i don't think they should be allowed on the internet at all. grief is a private matter, for family and close friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHY is it her/his issue? why is the issue not with the downright nasty sh1theads doing this? I despair i really do.:rolleyes:

you despair because you are unrealistic about how harsh people in the world who have no emotional connection to the page creator can be. if you want to save yourself some grief, spare the world your grief.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let me ask you this, if someone in person tells a grieving relative that they are glad the person died, should they be prosecuted for offline bullying? If not, why make this offence particular to the internet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet, that's sort of like saying if I lie down in the middle of the road, why is it my problem if a nasty car runs over me. We all know that this sort of stuff happens, so why set oneself up for it? I was a bit huffed recently when I saw people chatting shite about me & those close to me on twitter, but I soon got over it. Never would have happened if I'd been a bit more sensible in the first place.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Cruel comments are cruel comments, not necessarily bullying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be that this is just the latest salvo in the attempt to censor the internet? I mean, why is online bullying a crime and offline bullying isn't?

If I say in real life that I am glad someone is dead I have committed no crime but if I write it on a facebook page, I have? How exactly does that work?
  • Chris65757Chris65757 Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grief is a private matter, for family and close friends.

I remember a joke about this somewhere, about how things have changed over the last hundred years:

1912: “Dear diary, in you I confide my most secret thoughts...”

2012: Tell everybody everything.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barnes5603 wrote: »
    Could it be that this is just the latest salvo in the attempt to censor the internet? I mean, why is online bullying a crime and offline bullying isn't?

If I say in real life that I am glad someone is dead I have committed no crime but if I write it on a facebook page, I have? How exactly does that work?

this is what i think. i don't think that the various authorities and justice systems know yet quite how to deal with internet related offences, and haven't managed to settle down into proportionate responses to things that happen online.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's her issue (I'm not going to go on doing the "his/her" bit since it becomes too clumsy) because if people imagine that they should post sensitive personal information on the internet they're guilty of dangerous naivety. Surely anyone other than a small child must be aware that there are twisted people out there who will exploit and jeer at other people's grief? Why give such people the chance to be vicious?

In any case, how practical is it going to be to police the internet to eliminate all bullying? I don't think it's going to be possible, and therefore people who post on the internet should avoid posting personal information that will lay themselves open to being hurt by others. That seems like elementary common sense. In any case, does the world at large really need to know about our own personal tragedies?
    Forum Member
    i think some people need protecting from themselves. if they are naive enough to think that everybody in the world feels their pain and will be kind enough to say so on their public grief-page, then i don't think they should be allowed on the internet at all. grief is a private matter, for family and close friends.
    Let me ask you this, if someone in person tells a grieving relative that they are glad the person died, should they be prosecuted for offline bullying? If not, why make this offence particular to the internet?
    Pet, that's sort of like saying if I lie down in the middle of the road, why is it my problem if a nasty car runs over me. We all know that this sort of stuff happens, so why set oneself up for it? I was a bit huffed recently when I saw people chatting shite about me & those close to me on twitter, but I soon got over it. Never would have happened if I'd been a bit more sensible in the first place.

Just because we EXPECT it to happen doesnt make it right and putting the onus on the person being abused isnt the way forward. The internet is supposed to be for everyone we shouldnt have to hide etc and yes I agree we probably SHOULD for our own sanity but it dosent make these peoples abuse any less abusive.

BIB As for the comment regarding rl dont be fking ridiculous we are talking about ONLINE bullying, dont bring real life into the argument it just makes you look desperate.

ps: I got into it with traditional muslim males last night on twitter i was abused during the afternoon for a pic i had up and then again last night for backing a muslim leaders agreement for gay marriage i dont consider either situation "bullying" i do however think trolling of dead peoples relatives is disgusting behaviour and should be punished, simples.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is what i think. i don't think that the various authorities and justice systems know yet quite how to deal with internet related offences, and haven't managed to settle down into proportionate responses to things that happen online.

Some recent cases have been ridiculous. Didn't that lad get 5 months in jail for a tweet about Muamba? Ludicrous!

It is this kind of thing that makes me want to go out and say outrageous things, a bit like the "Knock off nigel" adverts actually made me start pirating films.:D

I say what I like on twitter and facebook and, as discussed on another thread, I know I will never get in trouble for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because we EXPECT it to happen doesnt make it right and putting the onus on the person being abused isnt the way forward. The internet is supposed to be for everyone we shouldnt have to hide etc and yes I agree we probably SHOULD for our own sanity but it dosent make these peoples abuse any less abusive.
    Indeed it's not right, but sadly it's the current reality of the internet.
    Forum Member
    Some recent cases have been ridiculous. Didn't that lad get 5 months in jail for a tweet about Muamba? Ludicrous!

It is this kind of thing that makes me want to go out and say outrageous things, a bit like the "Knock off nigel" adverts actually made me start pirating films.:D

I say what I like on twitter and facebook and, as discussed on another thread, I know I will never get in trouble for it.

So you dont have the courage of your convictions irl, just mouth off on the net? cool bro.

Actually you can get in trouble for it now, thats the whole point which appears to have passed you by.:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB As for the comment regarding rl dont be fking ridiculous we are talking about ONLINE bullying, dont bring real life into the argument it just makes you look desperate.

ps: I got into it with traditional muslim males last night on twitter i was abused during the afternoon for a pic i had up and then again last night for backing a muslim leaders agreement for gay marriage i dont consider either situation "bullying" i do however think trolling of dead peoples relatives is disgusting behaviour and should be punished, simples.

It isn't desperate at all. It is a very fair and relevant comparison. If I say in real life that I am glad someone is dead then I have committed no crime but if I say it on facebook then it is. That is ridiculous and completely unenforceable anyway.