Options

Nintendo boss to halve salary after profits plunge

jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/nintendo/10603977/Nintendo-president-to-halve-pay-after-profits-plunge.html

This is interesting. A wage cut for five months due to Nintendo's business not doing well. I wonder if this could catch on with other boards and executives.

No profit, less pay.

Comments

• Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Japanese just love to fall on their own swords.
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Japanese just love to fall on their own swords.

an alternative view could be that the Japanese have more honour in their failure to lead a company to a decent profit margin…..

whereas the rest of the capitalist world would simply take the money and run around blaming people for failure
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on him. I do fear for Nintendo though. Their games consoles have looked more childish compared to the offerings from Sony and Microsoft recently.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on him. I do fear for Nintendo though. Their games consoles have looked more childish compared to the offerings from Sony and Microsoft recently.

That's, actually been the secret of their success, they have always gone for playability rather than photo realistic imaging.

The Wii was a revelation when it came out.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    That's, actually been the secret of their success, they have always gone for playability rather than photo realistic imaging.

The Wii was a revelation when it came out.

There's only,so much Mario you can churn out though.
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    There's only,so much Mario you can churn out though.

Logically yes, but, somehow, every Super Mario game they churn out is a masterpiece of its genre - the level of invention is staggering - the latest one 'Super Mario 3D World' took 'Game of the Year' on this site...if you consider that an accolade! :)

It's the same for their Zelda series.

The problem Nintendo have is that they are so slow releasing games (this may be the trade-off for the quality). I bought my Wii U quite soon after its UK release, along with New Super Mario Bros Wii U. Since then, I've added Pikmin 3, Zelda Wind Waker and Super Mario 3D World.

So three games worth buying in a year...even tho' the quality is there (and boy is it there!), it's not much to incentivise folk to invest in the platform.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is sick to death of Mario. Fire Iwata too...this isn't the gaming forum :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps their tactic of releasing new products in short supply backfired on them.

Memories of joining a queue at 7am when my son was younger, only to find that when we got into the shop at 9.15 they had sold out!