Options

both liberals and right wing are wrong, about their fave subject!

2»

Comments

• Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Remind me how many liberal governments we've had in the UK recently?

But we, the hand wringing unthinking liberals, are your masters.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    But we, the hand wringing unthinking liberals, are your masters.

Ah, my mistake. To the hempmobile etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Ah, my mistake. To the hempmobile etc.

Hang on, I'll need to put on my open toad sandals and grab my tofu and organic mung beans.

Now wear did I leave my tree hugger?.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we back to pretending that liberal is the same as left-wing and that there is no such thing as a liberal right-winger again?
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The issue with many liberals is they wring their hands a lot, but change nothing. They make utopian suggestions, but unable to implement anything they suggest and even when they do, it's erring on the side of the criminal rather than the victim.

So you would disagree that Britain is a far more socially liberal country than it was say 50 years ago? It would be quite hard to justify such an argument.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer to think we'd have a system that took the cause of the crime into account e.g. the difference between a pre-planned murder to rob someone, someone who steals food to feed their children and someone who refuses to pay council tax because their bins haven't been emptied for two months and lives on a potholed road.

Problem is that we still have a very rightwing approach to crime and punishment in this country where people are just lumped into 'criminal' category.

We need harsh punishments for those who refuse to reform, but a rehabilitative approach for those who can demonstrate a desire/ability to.
  • Options
    sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need harsh punishments for those who refuse to reform, but a rehabilitative approach for those who can demonstrate a desire/ability to.

I agree, they should take into consideration number of previous convictions, also stop concurrent sentences.

persistent offenders should be removed from society if they prove they can't live crime free in it.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    ... Because as long as you have people, you will have crime ...
    Numerous well-resourced people have proposed various schemes to cure this problem but they are always unfairly tarred with the 'supervillain' brush by the powers that be who then send in that over-marketed establishment lackey with his fancy gadgets and quite frankly he's almost as bad as those meddling kids.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... my open toad sandals ...
    I didn't think you were one for cruelty :eek: I hope you licked them first :p
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4/10, would get trolled again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't think you were one for cruelty :eek: I hope you licked them first :p

Oops, well spotted. :blush::blush:

I also used the wrong were. :blush::blush:

*where
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentencing guidelines are handed down by Parliament. If you think sentencing for violent crime is so lenient then you need to take it up with your MP, and support whichever party has the policies on crime that you agree with.

And have you failed to notice that sentencing for the most serious crimes has been getting harsher over the years?.

A balance is needed too. We simply cannot afford to keep building prisons, they are expensive to build and run. If we made better use of community sentences, tags, house arrests etc. for the more petty crimes we'd free up plenty of space for the more serious criminals. If we can also look at an emphasis on crime prevention and rehabilitation, especially of younger criminals, we can perhaps try and gradually reduce the numbers who go on to a lifetime of crime too. A good thing surely?.

But I'd also say our sentencing policies compare pretty well with most of the Western World. We don't really have the same kind of plea bargaining they have in the States for example, which can see dangerous criminals go free or getting very short sentences in some cases.
    We don't have plea bargaining? You really have no idea. It happens every single day of the week when the crown fear losing a case, they plea barging using a reduced charge as the barging. Ever heard.of mansluater being accepted just before a murder trial is set to start? That my friend is a crown plea bargin!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We don't have plea bargaining? You really have no idea. It happens every single day of the week when the crown fear losing a case, they plea barging using a reduced charge as the barging. Ever heard.of mansluater being accepted just before a murder trial is set to start? That my friend is a crown plea bargin!

Why, instead of just banging away at the keyboard all outraged, do you not actually take time to read what I and others have posted?.
    We don't really have the same kind of plea bargaining they have in the States for example

I didn't say we don't have plea bargaining, but we don't use it to the same extent as it is used in the US and the criteria and plea offers are completely different.

You always come across as a pretty short tempered angry person. Is that part of the reason why you are in and out of prison?.

Of course, all of that assumes this lot is even true, and you aren't on one of your wind up threads again.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why, instead of just banging away at the keyboard all outraged, do you not actually take time to read what I and others have posted?.

I didn't say we don't have plea bargaining, but we don't use it to the same extent as it is used in the US and the criteria and plea offers are completely different.

You always come across as a pretty short tempered angry person. Is that part of the reason why you are in and out of prison?.

Of course, all of that assumes this lot is even true, and you aren't on one of your wind up threads again.
    True? Why lie when the truth is far more interesting. On the subject of why I go to prison, well my friend, that is none of your biz. As I have told you before, when a man has nothing to loose, nothing matters anymore! This is my life till I die.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True? Why lie when the truth is far more interesting. On the subject of why I go to prison, well my friend, that is none of your biz. As I have told you before, when a man has nothing to loose, nothing matters anymore! This is my life till I die.

Why boast about it on a forum then?

You seem very proud about your criminal record.

Why is beyond me.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even know wheir to begin with such delusions of superiority.

No delusions from what I read - he 'pwned' you as the kids say.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    No delusions from what I read - he 'pwned' you as the kids say.

Yeah. :D

And another thing, I am not surprised that the 'screws' look bloody miserable, dealing with the scum of the earth day in day out I would be utterly miserable as well.
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is..... liberals don't think hence why everything they stand for is laugh out loud to the average criminal.

Heh. You believe in good and evil.