Options

The Doctor chose his 'Matt Smith' face for Clara's benefit?

HypnosssHypnosss Posts: 1,216
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why was Vastra spewing this nonsense?

Comments

• Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    You didn't pay much attention to the dialogue, did you?
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the implication was he chose Matt Smith for younger potential love interests generally, and he chose Peter Capaldi's Caecillius's face for Clara specifically (given she says Marcus Aurelius was her teenage pin-up).
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm just a casual viewer. I know in the special Baker implied he might use his face and there was the think about Capaldi in the roman? episode but i'd always assumed that the regeneration was random and he didn't choose his face/features/accent etc.

Saying that, it would explain why he's always been a white male who spoke English ;):p
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm just a casual viewer. I know in the special Baker implied he might use his face and there was the think about Capaldi in the roman? episode but i'd always assumed that the regeneration was random and he didn't choose his face/features/accent etc.

Saying that, it would explain why he's always been a white male who spoke English ;):p

What I took from it was he doesn't choose his face, but his subconscious trawls the faces of the people he's met and picks one for a reason - in this case because of the regret he felt for not being Clara's "boyfriend", hence choosing someone who is clearly a pretty close fit for her childhood pin-up.

This is all subject to change of course.... this is probably the arc of the season.

This would also suggest that the museum cleaner in the 50th special may be the original version of that face, and he'd met him prior to that era.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That bit didn't really wash with me, tbh. My first regeneration was Peter D, and Five uttered the line "That's the trouble with regeneration. You never quite know what you're going to get."

Of course there is the scene at the end of The War Games when choices were given to Two, but I don't really think the Doctor choosing what he looks like is an idea that should be pursued, really.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    She said of the Matt face "he chose it for you" then paused and added "for all of you". She didn't mean he chose it for Clara personally (obviously he didn't even know her then) she meant he chose it for any companions or people around him in general, subconsciously thinking that a younger face would be more acceptable to the world and the typically young humans he tends to hang around with.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Just made me cringe- another one of the attempts to ease the audience in. Yes, he's old and Matt Smith was young. Who cares? You'd have thought that Matt Smith was Brad Pitt and Peter Capaldi was Quasimodo from the way the programme was going on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That bit didn't really wash with me, tbh. My first regeneration was Peter D, and Five uttered the line "That's the trouble with regeneration. You never quite know what you're going to get."

Of course there is the scene at the end of The War Games when choices were given to Two, but I don't really think the Doctor choosing what he looks like is an idea that should be pursued, really.

I agree he shouldn't and dosen't usually get to choose but I don't think thats what it meant. I took it more that when they talked about choosing they meant his subconscious desires/feelings (such as the desire to look young and be accepted) can feed into the regeneration, so not him actually choosing but unwittingly influencing it without realizing.

After all, it's not like ten stood there and said "I think i'll go younger this time"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Just made me cringe- another one of the attempts to ease the audience in. Yes, he's old and Matt Smith was young. Who cares? You'd have thought that Matt Smith was Brad Pitt and Peter Capaldi was Quasimodo from the way the programme was going on!

I agree that the episode was rather harsh comparing Matt to peter. By the end of it he must have felt about 100 years old. At least we know he's a good sport though going along with all that dialogue. Im sure that's the kind of thing they would have changed/toned down if he had been really unhappy with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    When the master regenerated in utopia he said something young this time, so i think its implied its possible to steer the regeneration a bit but not control it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnosss wrote: »

Not for Clara's benefit - for humanity's benefit.

"He flirted with you."
    "How?"
    "He looked young. Who do you think that was for?"
    Clara says, "Me?"
    Vastra corrects her: "Everyone."

Vastra wasn't spewing that nonsense - why are you?
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    After all, it's not like ten stood there and said "I think i'll go younger this time"

No he didn't but the master certainly did when he regenerated, and Romana was also seen to choose her face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree that the episode was rather harsh comparing Matt to peter. By the end of it he must have felt about 100 years old. At least we know he's a good sport though going along with all that dialogue. Im sure that's the kind of thing they would have changed/toned down if he had been really unhappy with it.

I don't think he'd risk the bad press. Probably just thought it would be better to just suck it up for the first episode and hope for better later on.

Honestly, it was ridiculous how they went on and on about the age thing. Matt Smith doesn't really have a youthful face.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    No he didn't but the master certainly did when he regenerated, and Romana was also seen to choose her face.

And Mels was concentrating on a dress size! I just think personally it's a bit of a bad idea generally. I mean, Two was positively ageist and sizeist in The War Games!

I'm not taking this too seriously, honest. :D
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the master regenerated in utopia he said something young this time, so i think its implied its possible to steer the regeneration a bit but not control it

Tell that to Romana who could choose a specific face of someone they had just met.

Or the Time Lords who gave the 2nd Doctor a choice of a few different specific faces.

The usual theory is that the Doctor is just rubbish at regeneration compared to other Time Lords.

He does seem to be getting better and if the Curator is to be believed he'll eventually have the ability to choose a specific face.

It has been suggested before that the Doctor is somewhat influenced in his regeneration by his situation/surroundings. There was meant to be a line in The Christmas Invasion explaining that the 10th Doctor's accent changed from a northern one to a southern one due to him wanting to fit in better with Rose.

The same idea could be used to explain the 12th Doctors accent as the last person he was thinking about before the regeneration was Amy which could have influenced his new accent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Why this one, why did I choose this face? It's like I'm trying to tell myself something. Like I’m trying to make a point, but what's so important I can't just tell myself what I'm thinking?"

The Doctor never makes a conscious choice, he never chooses a face, he never knows quite what he's going to get, but they're guided by his subconscious. They're the faces he needs.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Hypnosss wrote: »

clamped!!!:D
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I think the ability to choose his own face might have originated with the potion he drank on Karn and carried through his future regenerations.

Perhaps the Timelords have allowed him this favour for his new set of regenerations too? It would explain how he ends up as the Curator at some time in the future, and if they ever wanted to give McGann another go ..... . (ducks for cover) :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    I think the ability to choose his own face might have originated with the potion he drank on Karn and carried through his future regenerations.

Perhaps the Timelords have allowed him this favour for his new set of regenerations too? It would explain how he ends up as the Curator at some time in the future, and if they ever wanted to give McGann another go ..... . (ducks for cover) :D

Totally. As it has been established by the programme that Capaldi is very very ancient, when he is carted off they can bring back McGann :D
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    Perhaps the Timelords have allowed him this favour for his new set of regenerations too?
    Perhaps with a new set of regenerations you start old then get younger with each one :D
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that whole speech was basically Moffat talking to the audience. How she said he needed to look young for acceptance, as if a new, younger audience wouldn't accept the older doctors of the previous era so they need to cast young people.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Romana also chose her regenerated appearance.

But it was ambiguous enough that it doesn't have to 'wash' with everybody. It's easily ignored if you don't like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Romana also chose her regenerated appearance.

But it was ambiguous enough that it doesn't have to 'wash' with everybody. It's easily ignored if you don't like it.

Well, yeah, I know that.

Thought that scene was a bit silly and self-indulgent, really. Although Lalla in Tom's gear was quite amusing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kirbyreed wrote: »
    I thought that whole speech was basically Moffat talking to the audience. How she said he needed to look young for acceptance, as if a new, younger audience wouldn't accept the older doctors of the previous era so they need to cast young people.

It was, and it was overdone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kirbyreed wrote: »

Why would he be telling the audience they have to cast young people in Peter Capaldi's first episode?