Options

ITV Cilla Preview and Q+A

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe they've done a show about this vile woman

Who's next? Rosemary West, Myra Hindley, Maxine Carr?

Firstly rather a silly comment and to compare her to two murderers is ridiculous , internet rumours of her personality are not proof , has she been horrid to you personally ?

And Maxine Carr are you another who thinks that giving a false alibi for a man she loved and believed ( and she had no part in any crime of his other than that ) makes her like Hindley and Carr ?
  • Options
    FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need your head examined if you don't realise that she's still hugely popular with the GBP.

I don't know if she is any more, you know. Twenty years ago, certainly. I first found out about her accent in the '90s, from one of her former neighbours.

Had Cilla retired from TV, they could've attempted a more accurate bio, but since she hasn't, the public accent has to remain fixed. And that concession alone undermines the whole thing for me.

Diana: Her True Story?

[edit]

For clarity, I wouldn't care for a hatchet job; I don't like nastiness for its own sake. But if it's not authentic, it's not interesting.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,500
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Firstly rather a silly comment and to compare her to two murderers is ridiculous , internet rumours of her personality are not proof , has she been horrid to you personally ?

And Maxine Carr are you another who thinks that giving a false alibi for a man she loved and believed ( and she had no part in any crime of his other than that ) makes her like Hindley and West ?

EFA

You could argue that Hindley, West, Carr and Cilla Black all have criminal records.

Coat please...
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I don't know if she is any more, you know. Twenty years ago, certainly. I first found out about her accent in the '90s, from one of her former neighbours.

Had Cilla retired from TV, they could've attempted a more accurate bio, but since she hasn't, the public accent has to remain fixed. And that concession alone undermines the whole thing for me.

Diana: Her True Story?

[edit]

For clarity, I wouldn't care for a hatchet job; I don't like nastiness for its own sake. But if it's not authentic, it's not interesting.

She might not be popular with you or me, I never watched any of her programs, but the legend of 'our Cilla' lives on, lots of people including those who grew up watching her in Surprise, Surprise, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I am so glad TV's have an off button these days, shame really as I do like Sheridan Smith, she has become one of the UK's brightest stars, I would have felt differently if this drama was about a true legend like the dear departed Dusty Springfield a woman that could actually sing, then we have someone like the Cilla Black. screeching her head off..god there is no justice in this world!
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why Sheridan Smith.. is she the default female selection these days.. she looks NOTHING like Cilla Black. What`s her next part.. "The Life & Times of Lenny Henry"
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant wait for this to be on!, I love Sheridan, I think she is a really good actress, and Cilla !, well she was a big part of my youth!, I loved her records!, whatever she is/has become now is irrelevant to me its the story of her beginning that I want to watch..............
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    She might not be popular with you or me, I never watched any of her programs, but the legend of 'our Cilla' lives on, lots of people including those who grew up watching her in Surprise, Surprise, etc.

The legend of 'our Cilla'. Come on. She is anything but 'all that'. Legend and Cilla (Black) should never be used in the same sentence. My opinion of course.
    I had a 'thing' for Natalie Casey in that show, thought she was very very tidy.

The actress with the weird ears. Definitely someone that should wear her hair long and down.

WTF. Are you just doing this for the shock factor or do you really have no clue about making realistic comparisons.
    I'd like to watch because of Sheridan Smith, it's tempting, but I won't.

Put that one in your diary. I think this is the first time we've agreed with anything ever on DS.

As for Priscilla White (*). I think I've only ever watched her on Blind Date and that was enough. My dad can't even bear to listen to her. I think he has a point.

(*) I bet she must have thought long and hard before deciding on her stage name. Hmm, what can I use instead of the name 'White'? Hmm, what about another colour, maybe one which is the opposite of white. What's that then? Oh yes, black. We'll go for that (definitely more catchy than white, obviously). Shame she didn't go for Grey. Much more appropriate. :p
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    The legend of 'our Cilla'. Come on. She is anything but 'all that'. Legend and Cilla (Black) should never be used in the same sentence. My opinion of course.

The actress with the weird ears. Definitely someone that should wear her hair long and down.

WTF. Are you just doing this for the shock factor or do you really have no clue about making realistic comparisons.

Put that one in your diary. I think this is the first time we've agreed with anything ever on DS.

As for Priscilla White (*). I think I've only ever watched her on Blind Date and that was enough. My dad can't even bear to listen to her. I think he has a point.

(*) I bet she must have thought long and hard before deciding on her stage name. Hmm, what can I use instead of the name 'White'? Hmm, what about another colour, maybe one which is the opposite of white. What's that then? Oh yes, black. We'll go for that (definitely more catchy than white, obviously). Shame she didn't go for Grey. Much more appropriate. :p

I suspect there'll be a few people who wont realise just how big a name she was in the 60s before her reinvention with Blind Date etc
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scottie 71 wrote: »
    I am so glad TV's have an off button these days, shame really as I do like Sheridan Smith, she has become one of the UK's brightest stars, I would have felt differently if this drama was about a true legend like the dear departed Dusty Springfield a woman that could actually sing, then we have someone like the Cilla Black. screeching her head off..god there is no justice in this world!

Cilla's voice wasn't bad during her younger years but Dusty sang the pants off her. I would love to watch a drama about Dusty's life. It was eventful, to say the least.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,100
    Forum Member
    Scottie 71 wrote: »

TV's have always had off buttons so what are you on about?

Cilla was a damned fine singer back in the day. All this "Dusty was so much better" stuff gets on my nerves, it really does because they're quite different. Cilla had a clarity that Dusty didn't have for a start and there are many early live performances on youtube that proves she could sing, and well.

Randy Newman says her recording of his composition "I've been wrong before" is the definitive one, it's one of my favourite songs of hers.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheridan Smith is singing. It's awful. She sounds like Kate Robbins doing an impersonation of Cilla on Spitting Image.

I loved Kate's impression of Cilla. She got the accent just right, with a bit of affectation thrown in.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Cilla's voice wasn't bad during her younger years but Dusty sang the pants off her. I would love to watch a drama about Dusty's life. It was eventful, to say the least.

There was a programme on Dusty only a couple of days ago.
    digiguide wrote:
    DOCUMENTARY: Definitely Dusty
    On: BBC 4 (9)
    Date: Sunday 24th August 2014 (Already shown)
    Time: 21:05 to 22:05 (1 hour long)

Documentary looking at the life and work of soul and pop diva Dusty Springfield, singer of such classics as You Don't Have to Say You Love Me and Son of a Preacher Man, who was equally famous for her trademark panda eyes and blonde beehive. Using archive footage and interviews shot in the UK and the US, it charts her progress from plain Catholic schoolgirl to glamorous star and ventures behind the extravagant image to reveal a complex and vulnerable character. The programme features interviews with fellow musicians from a career spanning four decades including Elton John, Burt Bacharach, Neil Tennant, Lulu and Martha Reeves. Dusty's protective inner circle of friends have never spoken about her on camera before. Dusty's personal secretary for her entire solo career, Pat Rhodes, her manager Vicky Wickham, ardent fan-turned-backing singer Simon Bell and others talk about the highs and lows of the woman they knew and loved.
    (Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles, 4 Star)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Keywords: Documentary, Music, Special, Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles, 4 Star
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=45488

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I loved Kate's impression of Cilla. She got the accent just right, with a bit of affectation thrown in.

I keep laughing everytime I see Sheridan singing the line "knowing I love you" because her mouth goes crooked and she does that throaty voice people like Kate Robbins do when impersonating her.
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had not heard anything so derogatory about Cilla, until I read it on here and, as I insist on never believing rumour, in any area, I cannot comment on her character as, personally, I don't know the woman. If the rumours are true, then she is a hypocrite; if not, she is being libellously maligned.
    Whatever she is like, to compare her to female serial killers is an awful thing to do.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

R Cilla's made a lorra, lorra money from all those naff light entertainment shows she did for LWT. It seems the love for R Cilla is still there :D
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »

I do believe the brilliant Ms Robbins wrote the words to the 'Surprise, Surprise' theme tune, and R Cilla actually congratulated her on what she had done and how perfect the arrangement was for her voice.

What Kate never told her was of course she'd created the lyrics using her Cilla impersonation the whole time, so of course it suited perfectly ;-)

I loved It when Kate made a guest appearance as Cilla on Harry Enfield's show in a spoof Blind Date sketch!!
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Already been done. :D
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starting now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheridan Smith doesn't even have a full-time singing career and she's probably still a better singer than the real Cilla was back then.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member
    surfking wrote: »
    Sheridan Smith doesn't even have a full-time singing career and she's probably still a better singer than the real Cilla was back then.

I can't stand Cilla Black the 'entertainer' but as a singer - before the nose job - Cilla had a bloody good voice.
  • Options
    redcherryredcherry Posts: 12,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it so far but wtf with Bobby's hair/wig. It looks awful
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Quite enjoyed that - good bit of lighthearted fluff loosely based on fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Like "How did you both gerron last week? Will ya be seeing each other again chuck?"

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    Why Sheridan Smith.. is she the default female selection these days.. she looks NOTHING like Cilla Black. What`s her next part.. "The Life & Times of Lenny Henry"

If they're picking lead actresses on how much they look like the real person then they're doing it wrong.

It's better getting a good actress doing an interpretation, just as the story is not entirely true, it's an interpretation of real events rather than getting someone doing a ridiculous comedy impression.