Do you think River city is really worth £16 million a year?

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Before you make your mind, just think about the facts:

1. Only 8% of Scots watch it, meaning 92% dont.

2. The BBC is having to save £360 million in the next six years, how can they justify the cost of RC?

3. A regional show should never have a budget of this much.

Infact, the only way the BBC could justify it, is if they put it on BBC2 network and it co-funds it.

Comments

• TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »

Im part of that 92%

I dont know anybody who does watch it either
  • MoDingleMoDingle Posts: 4,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it and have several family members and friends who watch too - but then I don't watch some of the arty farty stuff they churn out - but I'm sure it costs pennies to make them :rolleyes:
  • Richieboy87Richieboy87 Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16 million a year , WOW.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont know anyone who watches it and definatley do not think its worth £16 milion a year
  • Kat_SlaterKat_Slater Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    As it comes out of BBC Scotland's own, licence fee, allocated cash its worth it as they fund it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    I gave up on River City just after the disasterous 'revamp' over a year or two ago when some bright spark decided to change it from a twice weekly show to once weekly show alongside a change in style and tone of the show.

To those who still watch RC, has it improved over the past year or has it jumped the shark? Has the show experienced a drop in viewers?

I think it's important for BBC Scotland to produce home made drama nonetheless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »

2. The BBC is having to save £360 million in the next six years, how can they justify the cost of RC?

3. A regional show should never have a budget of this much.

Infact, the only way the BBC could justify it, is if they put it on BBC2 network and it co-funds it.

1. 8% seems pretty reasonable to me. You'd have to get some figures showing the cost per viewer to compare it to other programmes.

2. The BBC is having to save £360 million in the next six years, how can they justify the cost of Holby City?

3. That is an opinion...not fact.

I don't understand why RC get's so much stick from people who don't watch, when they don't seem to mind about other programmes they don't watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy RC and think it does have a place on BBC. You have stated how much it costs to make but how much money does it generate through tours of the set and merchandise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my mum watches it and even she says its terrible ... so bad she has to watch it she says...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch it, but I turned off after the change :/ I think they should make it twice a week again, and possibly even make it a British soap by showing it to ther other countries. There isn't a British soap set in Scotland, but I doubt they'll ever do that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £16 million per year is not expensive. Most hour long dramas cost at least 500k per ep. Assuming the 16 million figure is correct, River City costs around 300k per ep. Much cheaper by comparison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    bobsicle wrote: »
    £16 million per year is not expensive. Most hour long dramas cost at least 500k per ep. Assuming the 16 million figure is correct, River City costs around 300k per ep. Much cheaper by comparison.
    RIVER CITY ( in my opinion) IS A VERY VERY GOOD SOAP AND WORTH EVERYTHING SPENT.................................................Hope they NEVER take it off