Enhanced payments for working Xmas and New Year

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
Forum Member
I work weekends and I'm going to be working on Boxing Day, New Year's Day and Jan 2nd (public holiday in Scotland). My contract says I'm entitled to enhanced payments for working public holidays and we have been told that we will get double time for working these days. Only problem is we already get double time on Sundays, meaning we aren't getting enhanced payments for Boxing Day and the 2nd.

Wrote to my manager about this and she looked into it but wrote back saying that this is the situation for the whole of NHS Scotland so nothing can be done. Is there anything else I can do? I know I probably wouln't get much more money but it is more the principle that bothers me.

Comments

• muchlymuchly Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    I think that, considering Boxing Day & 2nd January aren't actually Bank Holidays this year (as they fall on the weekend the holiday moves to the 27th & 4th), you should consider yourself lucky to get double time for these days. You'll get additional bank holiday payments if you work on the 27th and the 3rd/4th.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sundays can't be Public holidays, however If you are working on the 27th Dec and the 28th Dec or/and the 1st Jan and 3rd Jan then you'll get enhanced payment as they are Public Holidays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish I got double time on a sunday with the NHS. Sat we get time +30% Sunday we get time+60% Public holidays are double time. Its crap this year those working monday or tuesday will get more pay than those working Chirstmas day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    RWD wrote: »
    Wish I got double time on a sunday with the NHS. Sat we get time +30% Sunday we get time+60% Public holidays are double time. Its crap this year those working monday or tuesday will get more pay than those working Chirstmas day.

That's what I mean, it seems ridiculous that an organisation open 7days a week can effectively change what days the holidays are. Plus I think its odd that they are paying extra on the Saturdays, thus classing them as PHs, but not the Sundays
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't these Sat/Sun payments a bit insulting to other religions?
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I mean, it seems ridiculous that an organisation open 7days a week can effectively change what days the holidays are. Plus I think its odd that they are paying extra on the Saturdays, thus classing them as PHs, but not the Sundays

The organisation hasn't changed it. It's the law.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What other British religions are there?
  • Charlie_the_catCharlie_the_cat Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anything else I can do?
    How about stop whingeing and count yourself lucky?
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here. It always narks me slightly that if you do a nightshift on a bank holiday, the people who worked the day get paid more than you too, but que sera sera.

OP, it's the NHS. They have their fixed enhancement rates and that's that; even if your manager wanted to pay you more HR/payroll would have none of it as those are the rates written into your contract. Plus, double time is a lot more than other people are getting.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only problem is we already get double time on Sundays, meaning we aren't getting enhanced payments for Boxing Day and the 2nd.

Ofcourse you are getting an enhancement. You can't really expect double, double time surely?

Would you prefer they don't provide enhanced pay as normal on a Sunday - which after all is a normal working day for many in this country - so on the years Boxing and New Year's Day happen to fall on Sunday you can feel better recompensed? Because that is the line industry will be forced to take if employees demands become too greedy.

Have you also considered that not all those working in your profession do get double time on a Sunday as normal? If this is the case than the enhancement is rightly for their benefit not for those already on double time.

Either way, if you don't feel double time is enough to sacrifice giving up a holiday, book the days off next year.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no legal right to even a day off let alone enhanced payment on weekends on bank and public holidays, so consider yourself very fortunate compared to most of the rest of the country. Double, double time? I don't think so. Public sector ....
  • floraandfaunafloraandfauna Posts: 8,520
    Forum Member
    I work weekends and I'm going to be working on Boxing Day, New Year's Day and Jan 2nd (public holiday in Scotland). My contract says I'm entitled to enhanced payments for working public holidays and we have been told that we will get double time for working these days. Only problem is we already get double time on Sundays, meaning we aren't getting enhanced payments for Boxing Day and the 2nd.

Wrote to my manager about this and she looked into it but wrote back saying that this is the situation for the whole of NHS Scotland so nothing can be done. Is there anything else I can do? I know I probably wouln't get much more money but it is more the principle that bothers me.

We had this problem last year as we're an out of hours service for the NHS. You're under Agenda for Change, I assume you're still under the same as us in Scotland. Under those terms you get enhancements for 3 out of 4 of them, eg if you work 25th, 26th, 27th and 28th, you will get enhanced pay for 3 out of those 4 days.

For those days if you work any of them it will be enhanced pay. As for the 2nd, that's a Sunday and is enhanced anyway, but the Monday will be enhanced as it's a public holiday.

Get your manager to look through Agenda for Change there is a table in there which tells you what pay should be when Christmas falls on Saturday/Sunday and such. :)
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to work for the NHS!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Sat and Sun are not classed as public holidays. We always get time+30% on a Sat time+60% on a sunday. The only extra is public holiday pay on the monday and tuesday which is paid at double time. some folk have rigged it so they are off Chirstmas and Newyear but work the monday and tuesday to get the public holiday pay, whilst the rest of us get no extra to our normal pay for working Chirstmas day. it is rubbish but it is just the way it is and it will be like that next year as well.
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What other British religions are there?

I believe all these religions are followed within Britain http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/page/0,,818217,00.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Double time for Sundays? That's excellent if you get double time for every Sunday you work in the year.

I have to work Sundays and I don't get anything extra for doing so. It sounds like you're getting a good deal in terms of Sunday pay so that to me would seem to make up for one Sunday.
    I don't get paid double when I work Sundays and I work a lot of them, but I guess if I want double pay on Sunday I should look to move jobs to the NHS instead :D

I'll be working some of the Christmas dates this year. I'll get double time and a day off in lieu too. It just comes down to your terms of employment, the stuff you agree to when you take the job on.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    I believe all these religions are followed within Britain http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/page/0,,818217,00.html

It was the Christian church goers of years gone by who made the government give us bank holidays - so unless the other religions fight for all us workers in the same way then no it isn't unfair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    Double time for Sundays? That's excellent if you get double time for every Sunday you work in the year.

We dont get double time on a sunday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We dont get double time on a sunday.

The OP apparently does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    It was the Christian church goers of years gone by who made the government give us bank holidays - so unless the other religions fight for all us workers in the same way then no it isn't unfair.

I'm not sure what is and isn't unfair about religion in the UK? I was simply responding to someone asking what religions there were in the UK. There are of course a lot, not just Christians in the UK.

I appreciate the country has a Christian background to some extent, but we're a multicultural country now built up of a mixture of religions. I don't consider the UK to be a Christian country because in my view it's not - it's a multicultural country.
  • minorityminority Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How have they changed the day that holidays are on if you really want to fight about it then we need to change the rules to remove 2 days public holidays if these days land on a weekend since we don't need those holidays. Also Xmas and the rest aint public holidays this year the first monday/tuesday are after them.

You are aware we get 7 public holidays a year and the one for xmas and new year periods move if they fall on a weekend to ensure that everyone gets them at some point.

Technically if it wasn't in your contract they don't even have to give you double or anything extra just ensure you get the day off again.

My GF works for NHS and they will get paid extra for the mon/tue and also I believe they also get extra time off e.g. I am sure it the public holiday back + 1....I can't think of any where that gives a better deal.
  • Charlie_the_catCharlie_the_cat Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's someone conspicuously absent from this thread in the last couple of days......scratching my head to think who....oh yes it's coming to me....
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's double time...........?:(
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's double time...........?:(

Something public sector workers get.....