Are the lower ratings due to...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
...Jason's absence, or Holly's absence, or both ? Or some other factor ?

Comments

• cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe people have just become bored - tonight I tuned out quite a few times, I just couldn't last out the marathon long show.
  • happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jasons absence. I don't miss Holly at all, thought I would but then couldn't remember anything she brought to the show. However, Jason made alot of controversial comments and had face to face run ins with Karen and Denise Welsh's husband. He also made some controversial comments so yeah Jason. Anyway. I enjoyed tonights show, I think it is getting better as the series goes on.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Bored crapless by it

Too many ad breaks, too many VTs, too much waffle, no Holly and no shocks from Jason

I record it, FF and just watch the performances
  • sonofdavidsonofdavid Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Bored crapless by it

Too many ad breaks, too many VTs, too much waffle, no Holly and no shocks from Jason

I record it, FF and just watch the performances
    You've hit the nail on the head. Jason is sadly missed and no matter how many people defend Christine, she just doesn't have anywhere near the charisma or talent of Holly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    happy tv wrote: »
    Jasons absence. I don't miss Holly at all, thought I would but then couldn't remember anything she brought to the show. However, Jason made alot of controversial comments and had face to face run ins with Karen and Denise Welsh's husband. He also made some controversial comments so yeah Jason. Anyway. I enjoyed tonights show, I think it is getting better as the series goes on.

I'm watching now Jason isn't there but I can't really do much with Christine Bleakley. Holly was brilliant as she has a certain charm. I really can't connect with Christine Bleakley. These people must have agents that will bend over backwards for them.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably both but mostly Jason's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phillip's presence
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sonofdavid wrote: »
    You've hit the nail on the head. Jason is sadly missed and no matter how many people defend Christine, she just doesn't have anywhere near the charisma or talent of Holly

You are talking about Holly Willoughby? The most boring presenter since Tim Vincent?
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Phillip's presence
    Good try:D
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,714
    Forum Member
    Kablamo wrote: »
    I'm watching now Jason isn't there but I can't really do much with Christine Bleakley. Holly was brilliant as she has a certain charm. I really can't connect with Christine Bleakley. These people must have agents that will bend over backwards for them.

Couldn`t bear him on the show either -:mad: Christine or Holly are just there for furbishing purposes only.
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    You are talking about Holly Willoughby? The most boring presenter since Tim Vincent?
    Tim who?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tissy wrote: »
    Couldn`t bear him on the show either -:mad: Christine or Holly are just there for furbishing purposes only.

He was wrong in every way. He made everything so bitter and nasty. At least Strictly do it tongue in cheek but his rants were becoming very serious.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,714
    Forum Member
    Kablamo wrote: »
    He was wrong in every way. He made everything so bitter and nasty. At least Strictly do it tongue in cheek but his rants were becoming very serious.

True !!

Was he pushed or did he jump ? Have seen reports saying he jumped but would love to think he was pushed!
    Forum Member
    Tissy wrote: »
    True !!

Was he pushed or did he jump ? Have seen reports saying he jumped but would love to think he was pushed!
    He wasn't pushed. If he doesn't agree to come back, this might be the last Dancing on Ice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    sonofdavid wrote: »
    He wasn't pushed. If he doesn't agree to come back, this might be the last Dancing on Ice.

Karen and Dan have just bought a Subway store ,perhaps they know something we don't . Still its got to be more interesting for Karen than hanging about like a spare part , I don't see the point of her being on the show !!!
  • rsefitpro07rsefitpro07 Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The low ratings are down to Jason and Holly's departure, but also people are getting bored.

The format of the show is the same, theirs nothing new or exciting, you get 2/3 decent skaters whilst the rest are plain cheesy and rubbish!

On top of all that you get so many adverts, that last for 5 minutes at a time, It's enough to put people off.

One celeb dances, then theirs like a long advert and that format continues!
  • SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's probably down to Jason not being on the panel, and also the routines have become samey each week which is a bit boring. I'm not as gripped on DOI as I used to be.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I think they have messed about with it too much, the first couple of series were great, it was a genuinely good show but now they are always trying to do something different and bring in twists all the time. Jason was a pain and very rude but at least he was honest and like Craig on Strictly, at least when you got top marks you knew you deserved it. Holly was nice and girly and I think a lot of people tuned in to see what she was wearing whereas Christine looks like a guy in drag a lot of the time and just isn't in the least bit sexy no matter how much she tries. Nothing against the woman but she is built like a terminator! I don't mind Louis in small doses but he irritates the hell out of me on that panel and the VTs are far too long and tedious. I don't really care how many times they fell over midweek or how they are possibly going to be fit in time for the show on Saturday due to the bad fall they had, I don't want to hear how they have never got the move right all week in training so it could be 'an interesting night' when we all know that they are going to be fine. What I'd like is to start the show at 6.15, have a team performance, introductions, a quick VT of all of them in training which lasts no longer than 5 minutes followed by an ad break, then they come on one after the other with an ad break after every 3 performances, first show finishes at around 7:15 - 7:30 with the results show just 15 minutes long at around 9:00pm. At the moment I record it then whizz through just watching the performances and I'm done in about half hour max!
  • hopscotch23hopscotch23 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Lots of those reasons and more .

I didn't like Jason, felt he crossed the line too many times but I think he did entice the GBP to tune in and now he has gone the show lacks a character. For ice-dance purists the current judging line up may well be better with decent comments, explanations and advice rather than vacuous comments or rudeness for contraversy but the line up is missing some pizz-az and in terms of being an entertainment show the judges need some character and oomph, probably an additional judge too

I find Christine very inoffensive and don't mind her but can see she comes across as a bit meh

I am tired of seeing the same old lifts and moves each week often several times in the same programme. The choreography needs a shake up, instead we get the same moves each week in a different order. Lifts that once upon a time wowed and now passe. We rely on 'themed-music weeks' or 'twists' to inject interest but I want to see something different on the ice. My favorite week last year was the dances around the world which did show different styles of dancing

I compare it to SCD which despite the cheesy VTs has somehow managed to keep fresh. The fact that the contestants do dances that are generally distinct each week with the stamp of the choreography of the individual pro keeps things fresher.
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its because its up against Midwives on the beeb, most people record to skip through the adverts,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Don't you also think the judges are getting too long to comment? Even Katerina ran out of things to say last night! Because we have to hear from all 3 EVERY time it really drags it out - and Robin and Katerina rarely differ in their comments. That, the endless ad breaks and the overlong VTs... I honestly don't know why anyone wouldn't Sky + and fast forward the dross.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people think that 7.5 million viewers for a 2.5 hour show is a bad thing?
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't miss Jason one iota! I couldn't stand him and the constant booing whenever he spoke.
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people like a pantomime villian type on these shows rather than the nicey, nicey approach and Jason Gardiner, even though often rude and obnoxious in his critique, was one of the attractions.

The show itself is becoming a bit tired and as some mentioned a bit boring due to the same format. Trying something different or bringing in the odd twists is not such a bad thing and will bring something interesting and fresh to the show.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I don't miss Jason at all - I'd much rather listen to Robin, Katarina and Louie delivering their insightful comments without the rudeness or nastiness Jason used all the time.

That said, I think ratings are down not because of Mr Ego, but because....

The show goes on too long because of the far too many ad breaks (along with the stupid Macleans sponsorship "storyline" they insist on shoving down our throats);

The stupid VTs which waste time and are totally unnecessary;

The choreography which is getting a bit boring and samey.

All they need to put it back on track is to cut the number of ad breaks ( which take up far too much valuable viewing time), and cut out most of the VTs. That could take the show down to around an hour and a half max at the beginning of the run, and an hour once the numbers left competing drop.