Karen vs Katarina

Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,337
Forum Member
Did anyone else feel that Karen had a problem with Katarina last night?

Her sour puss was even sourer and there were a few dagger looks aimed at the amiable Katarina. Of course it's the first time that a female judge has been..........

more attractive
more talented
more experienced
more relevant

......than her. That might be it. In fact, what is the point of Karen. She might have a lot to do behind the scenes but why doesn't she stay there.

She hated it last year when Jason questioned her judgement so she should refrain from questioning Katarina's.

Comments

• FunkyFoxtrotFunkyFoxtrot Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandra Bee wrote: »

Her sour puss was even sourer and there were a few dagger looks aimed at the amiable Katarina. Of course it's the first time that a female judge has been..........

more attractive
    more talented
    more experienced
    more relevant

......than her. That might be it. In fact, what is the point of Karen. She might have a lot to do behind the scenes but why doesn't she stay there.

She hated it last year when Jason questioned her judgement so she should refrain from questioning Katarina's.

The way i saw it was that Katarina was being decidedly mean with her scoring and that Karen didn't entirely agree with the marks she was giving out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member

more attractive
    more talented
    more experienced
    more relevant

IRL Karen is not the lovely sweet person everyone seems to think she is believe me .

I'll now wait to be attacked.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did think it was a bit rich of Karen to be so pointedly critical about Katarina's marking when she has made such an issue out of Jason being negative, or challenging her.

Katarina's scores were lower than the other judges, but they weren't horribly low, and it's all relative and the contestants seem to get that. Katarina even commented on how she was the low scoring judge long before Karen jumped in on the subject. It proved why Karen doesn't belong on the judging panel by saying that she should have taken account of the injuries in the scores.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IRL Karen is not the lovely sweet person everyone seems to think she is believe me .

I'll now wait to be attacked.

Not attacking at all....but you know this how? Do you know in real life? Have real life experiences of her? We cannot really say people on TV are this or that if we do not know them personally can we??
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that both Louis and Robin were slightly generous in their scoring, while Katarina got it about right. Karen complained that she should have taken Jennifer's experience of last week into account, but why should she? She is there to judge the skating on the night, and only that. Remember that Sam fell and twisted his knee, so that it was touch and go whether he would be able to skate at all, and she didn't inflate his mark either. Sometimes being fair can appear to be harsh.

As for those who say she is not a nice human being, let's see the evidence. She is, undoubtedly one of the greatest athletes ever to pull on a pair of ice skates, so I think we can take it as read that she knows what she is talking about.

To be fair, although her English is quite fluent, it isn't perfect and she does occasionally struggle to find precisely the right word to convey her meaning, which could give rise to misunderstandings. The obvious example of that was when she described Chemmy as a 'big woman', which is technically correct because that is exactly what she is. Whether Katarina knew that 'big' is an English euphemism for 'fat' when referring to a woman, is another matter. The classic example of that sort of thing was John F. Kennedy announcing, "Ich bin ein Berliner" at the Berlin Wall. He thought he was saying, "I am a Berliner" (a citizen of Berlin). What he actually said was, "I am a sausage."
  • ladydancer1ladydancer1 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katarina's scores were lower than the other judges but she gives good reasons why this is so. Karin was looking cross/angry and emotional. I'm glad it's Katarina who is judge and not Karin.
    Forum Member
    Not attacking at all....but you know this how? Do you know in real life? Have real life experiences of her? We cannot really say people on TV are this or that if we do not know them personally can we??

Yes .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes .

Yes to which part?:)
    Forum Member
    Yes to which part?:)

The IRL part:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The IRL part:)

Meaning what, exactly?
    Forum Member
    In competitive skating you are marked on your programme and nothing else, which is how it should be and what Katarina will be used too.
    Forum Member
    Meaning what, exactly?

David , I would prefer not to go into detail on a public forum , if thats ok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case, why mention it at all?
    Forum Member
    In that case, why mention it at all?

I was just giving my opinion thats all. I don't have to justify it . No one else seems to offer evidence for their opinions. An opinion is just that , someone else may find her charming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid the thought that crossed my mind was "If your opinion mattered, you would still be on the panel".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

more attractive
    more talented
    more experienced
    more relevant

I was also questioning Karen's function on the show last ight. She is a coach for the practices, ok, nut why is she on the show?
    She is Chris Dean's squeeze so that presumably gives her a right to be there? The camera kept going to her to see her wiping the tears:rolleyes:. I guess that is her function - to cry for the ones who dont make the grade.

I know all of them, Chris, Jane, Karen, Nicky.from the 80's. Never really took to Karen, or Nicky for that matter.If she cant behave in a professional manner she should not be there,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just giving my opinion thats all. I don't have to justify it . No one else seems to offer evidence for their opinions. An opinion is just that , someone else may find her charming.

Wrong. I always justify mine and I am not the only one. I am careful never to make unjustified disparaging comments about anybody.

I get the impression from your remarks that you have a low opinion of Katarina Witt's character. Am I mistaken? You seem happy enough to let us know that you don't like her, but rather coy about telling us why?
    Forum Member
    Wrong. I always justify mine and I am not the only one. I am careful never to make unjustified disparaging comments about anybody.

I get the impression from your remarks that you have a low opinion of Katarina Witt's character. Am I mistaken? You seem happy enough to let us know that you don't like her, but rather coy about telling us why?

I like Katarina , my opinion was about Karen. Katatrina seems a nice lady although I don't know her personally . However I did know Karen in real life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Katarina , my opinion was about Karen. Katatrina seems a nice lady although I don't know her personally . However I did know Karen in real life.

Ah, my apologies. I misunderstood you.
    Forum Member
    Ah, my apologies. I misunderstood you.

Thats ok:)
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,337
    Forum Member
    I think Katarina is brilliant. She is fair, honest and constructive. She is the best thing to happen to the programme this season.

I do hope the stupid booing of the audience and Karen's death stares will not put her off giving a candid opinion.
    Forum Member
    I think Katarina is brilliant. She is fair, honest and constructive. She is the best thing to happen to the programme this season.

I do hope the stupid booing of the audience and Karen's death stares will not put her off giving a candid opinion.

Anyone who knows Karen knows that look , if DOI is back next year I doubt if Katarina will be .
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Katarina marked lower but as she pointed out I think her marks didn't alter the relative positions of skaters compared to the other 2 judges. Karen is coaching the celebs and is bound to be defensive towards them, that's why she's best not being a judge as well. She gave her views in the emotive way we have become accustomed to, and this included appearing upset by Katarina's marks, but I'm not sure that too much should be read into her relationship with Katarina from this, unless someone can present evidence otherwise....?
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,337
    Forum Member
    Well, let's just hope Christopher Dean has the sense to see that the programme could easily survive without Karen on camera but not without a decent judge.
  • M_apple5M_apple5 Posts: 2,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that both Louis and Robin were slightly generous in their scoring, while Katarina got it about right. Karen complained that she should have taken Jennifer's experience of last week into account, but why should she? She is there to judge the skating on the night, and only that. Remember that Sam fell and twisted his knee, so that it was touch and go whether he would be able to skate at all, and she didn't inflate his mark either. Sometimes being fair can appear to be harsh.

As for those who say she is not a nice human being, let's see the evidence. She is, undoubtedly one of the greatest athletes ever to pull on a pair of ice skates, so I think we can take it as read that she knows what she is talking about.

To be fair, although her English is quite fluent, it isn't perfect and she does occasionally struggle to find precisely the right word to convey her meaning, which could give rise to misunderstandings. The obvious example of that was when she described Chemmy as a 'big woman', which is technically correct because that is exactly what she is. Whether Katarina knew that 'big' is an English euphemism for 'fat' when referring to a woman, is another matter. The classic example of that sort of thing was John F. Kennedy announcing, "Ich bin ein Berliner" at the Berlin Wall. He thought he was saying, "I am a Berliner" (a citizen of Berlin). What he actually said was, "I am a sausage."

I agree with all your post, but I have to be picky. John Kennedy said "I am a doughnut" not "I am a sausage" ;)