Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    The daughter character is so over the top it doesnt seem true anyone would behave like that

Sadly that's not the case... :mad:
  • petebluepeteblue Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Another good episode. Still don't like Kev, he spoils it for me. , Very sad when the old lady died. Love Karl's rant at the end, he steals the show every week.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still keep watching even though its so sentimental and mawkish it makes Chaplin look restrained.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Pretty much the same as last week really, for me it just doesn't work, there's not enough material and it's not going anywhere.
  • theiatheia Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are so right!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Pretty much the same as last week really, for me it just doesn't work, there's not enough material and it's not going anywhere.

Hopefully you will not bother watching next week then.

Karl Pilkington steals the show again.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    This one had everything. The laugh-out-loud frog scene. A hate figure in the fat daughter. The sadness of a death (seeing Derek get upset was awful), a narrative in Hannah's relationship, and a slight confrontation for Kev who almost admitted he wasnt really getting any.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Gonna have to watch it on 4OD as I messed up the timings. I'm not used to having this many programmes to watch in a week and things get confusing! :D
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    This one had everything. The laugh-out-loud frog scene. A hate figure in the fat daughter. The sadness of a death (seeing Derek get upset was awful), a narrative in Hannah's relationship, and a slight confrontation for Kev who almost admitted he wasnt really getting any.

Perfect sum up,thought it was another great episode,Gervais' acting is perfect for me and very believable
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The daughter character is so over the top it doesnt seem true anyone would behave like that

I asked my mother, who worked for ten years in a nursing home as an assistant manager, what she thought, and she said the character reminded her of a few families that she knew in her time while working there.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please tell me either Tom or dougie ends up hitting kev, it's like Derek has befriended his school bully.

My fav line this week: "it your mam memories here." I loved the way Hannah squeezed dougie's arm afterwards.

It's ironic that pilkington play 'himself' and yet, he's one of the smartest characters in the show.....

Best episode so far....
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Dougie was fantastic at the end there.:D
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe not. However in this show it's the only case. Which makes this show a little hard to swallow with all it's morally superior messages.

Another round of lazy acting and inconsistent writing from Gervais once again.

Laughing at fat, unattractive women. So warm hearted and wonderful and subtle and nuanced from the pen of Gervais. Anyone who doesn't laugh at that simply doesn't get it.

I noticed the kind Derek was actually embarrassed by Kev's overweight girlfriend. So much for that pure kindness then.

Gervais breaking character with the 'This is sickening.' line, to promote how much he loves animals I guess. Just lazy acting really that he can't stay in character.

Hannah's boyfriend keeps bothering her in the day. Just to emphasise how dedicated she is to her work. Laying it on thick now. We get it, she's good at her job.

Hannah knew that Kev had used the scales to weigh his dick. But she decided not to wash them, throw them away or ban Kev from the home. Maybe she isn't so good at her job.

The sly and deceitful Derek is suddenly an idiot again when it comes to a frog ornament. Anything for an easy laugh, who cares about proper writing.

Kind Derek scavenging other peoples food. Typical Derek behaviour.

Oh and we get Derek crying into the camera now. I hope those tears are from guilt for how poorly he treats the residents. I doubt it though.

And that woman was right to question Derek working there. He is rude to the residents, has brought in an alcoholic sex pest who hangs about, takes up far too much time and energy of the other staff and does no work in the home. He's a liability and a drain on their resources.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Maybe not. However in this show it's the only case. Which makes this show a little hard to swallow with all it's morally superior messages.

Laughing at fat, unattractive women. So warm hearted and wonderful and subtle and nuanced from the pen of Gervais. Anyone who doesn't laugh at that simply doesn't get it.

I noticed the kind Derek was actually embarrassed by Kev's overweight girlfriend. So much for that pure kindness then.

Gervais breaking character with the 'This is sickening line' to promote how much he loves animals I guess. Just lazy acting really that he can't stay in character.

Hannah's boyfriend keeps bothering her in the day. Just to emphasise how dedicated she is to her work. Laying it on thick now. We get it, she's good at her job.

Hannah knew that Kev had used the scales to weigh his dick. But she decided not to wash them, throw them away or ban Kev from the home. Maybe she isn't so good at her job.

The sly and deceitful Derek is suddenly an idiot again when it comes to a frog ornament. Anything for an easy laugh, who cares about proper writing.

Oh and we get Derek crying into the camera now. I hope those tears are from guilt for how poorly her treats the residents. I doubt it though.

And that woman was right to question Derek working there. He is rude to the residents, has brought in an alcoholic sex pest who hangs about, takes up far too much time and energy of the other staff and does no work in the home. He's a liability and a drain on their resources.

As Karl/ Dougie might say... "Don't worry about it"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    As Karl/ Dougie might say... "Don't worry about it"

Clearly Gervais doesn't care! :p
  • NorthcroftNorthcroft Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Get rid of Kev ffs, he lets it down
    Good though, and they didn't do the obvious and keep the ring from the daughter
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member

Gervais breaking character with the 'This is sickening.' line, to promote how much he loves animals I guess. Just lazy acting really that he can't stay in character.

Oh and we get Derek crying into the camera now. I hope those tears are from guilt for how poorly he treats the residents. I doubt it though.

**** me you're bitter. Cookie?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **** me you're bitter. Cookie?

Bitter about what?

Rather than insult me, maybe if you believe I'm incorrect in my post you can point out where I'm wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I work in healthcare and can honestly say that I've seen relatives that horrible. Don't care for their relative at all- some of the ones i've had the misfortune of meeting, I wonder why they even bother visiting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I still don't like Kev either. I wish they'd get rid of him.

Another heartwarming episode. The half hour always whizzes by for me.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought Derek was a resident there, not a worker. That's why he doesn't do much work and can annoy people, because he has problems and lives there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Derek was a resident there, not a worker. That's why he doesn't do much work and can annoy people, because he has problems and lives there.

Nope. He's a member of staff.

I enjoyed the hypocrisy of Dougie talking about the items he could nick to sell at the jumble sale and his fury at the woman who's mother had just died for wanting to sell her ring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

if you dont enjoy the show why are you still watching the show your just bitching for the sake of it I bet you even buy the DVD when its released so you can bitch about it all over again :D
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why is you so angry and bitter Mr. Hankshaw?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leeruk wrote: »
    if you dont enjoy the show why are you still watching the show your just bitching for the sake of it I bet you even buy the DVD when its released so you can bitch about it all over again :D

I'm not bitching for the sake of it. I'm bitching because it's one of the worst written shows in recent time and I'm still stunned by all the praise Gervais is getting for it.

I won't buy the DVD but I will continue watching.