Online fund raises $120k reward for homeless guy's honesty

grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There have been a few crowd-sourcing fundraisers - like the old guy who lost his business in the London riots. This is along the same lines - a homeless guy in Boston called Glenn James handed in a lost backpack containing nearly $3k in cash and $40k in travellers cheques. One person was inspired by his actions and the fund-raising page he set up got up a head of steam and is now over $120k!

BBC article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24170670

Fund-raising page - http://www.gofundme.com/4by2as

I like things like this - gives people chance to do something nice for a stranger. Humans can be quite nice creatures from time to time :)

Comments

• mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Yes, I read this on the BBC News website this morning.

Heartwarming stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great story...a shame so many people in the comments are saying: "This is God's erward for being honest.', 'God bless you.', and sticking in Bible verses...it was a person doing somehting for a person and now people doing something for that person...get's my goat when certain people remove the good-will and thoughtfulness of human beings and say 'it was God's doing.' They immediatly reduce human goodwill to a preordained thing by someone else...
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Great story...a shame so many people in the comments are saying: "This is God's erward for being honest.', 'God bless you.', and sticking in Bible verses...it was a person doing somehting for a person and now people doing something for that person...get's my goat when certain people remove the good-will and thoughtfulness of human beings and say 'it was God's doing.' They immediatly reduce human goodwill to a preordained thing by someone else...

That's America for you!
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Eh? If someone believes in god what's wrong with saying god bless you?
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Eh? If someone believes in god what's wrong with saying god bless you?

It's a bit more than that. If you read the comments section on the fund-raising page they really go to town on the bible verses etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit more than that. If you read the comments section on the fund-raising page they really go to town on the bible verses etc.

I've read the comments. I'm all in favour of giving credit to the people and I'm sure the religious posters mean no offence. However I'm asking what is wrong with saying god bless, specifically.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Who carries that much money about? Something odd there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A clandestine CIA op gone awry, innit?
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I handed in a purse a few weeks ago with about 200 quid in it and didn't even get a thank you phone call! :mad:
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How exactly does saying God Bless You do that? :confused:
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    How exactly does saying God Bless You do that? :confused:

I'm guessing it wasn't that particular phrase, but some of the others, "God's will" and that kind of thing.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I handed in a purse a few weeks ago with about 200 quid in it and didn't even get a thank you phone call! :mad:

Virtue is it's own reward;)

Or, good on you.:)
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    I've read the comments. I'm all in favour of giving credit to the people and I'm sure the religious posters mean no offence. However I'm asking what is wrong with saying god bless, specifically.

That particular phrase is pretty inoffensive on its own, I agree. I also agree with the criticism that the Christians who posted are giving credit to their own religious world view, regardless of its relevance to the case in point.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member

Drugs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The homeless man sounds like a standup guy for doing that! :)

I would have taken the money tbh.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see such honesty and I'm glad he's being rewarded.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homeless people, more honest than everyone else.
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homeless people, more honest than everyone else.
    In what other ways would you say?
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    He'll have spent it all on 3-litre bottles of White Ace by now.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for him, I hope he enjoys spending every last penny. So nice to read stories like this :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    He'll have spent it all on 3-litre bottles of White Ace by now.

I hope he has.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted duplicate post.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What's wrong, they are being nice, if someone says to me God bless you or similar from another religion I take that as the person being nice in their way.