Options

Christian B&B owners lose at Supreme Court

grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just seen this on the BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25119158

"Mike Judge, from the Christian Institute, said after the hearing: 'What this case shows is that the powers of political correctness have reached all the way to the top of the judicial tree, so much so that even the Supreme Court dare not say anything against gay rights.'"

Actually, what this case demonstrates is that Christians have no more right than any other group to impose their personal opinions regarding gay or unmarried couples on paying customers when offering their home for a commercial venture.

If they feel that they cannot operate their business within the law because of their own personal conscience, then that's a shame, but I see no way around it which doesn't end up with discrimination on the basis of sexuality.

They exist within a greater society which is necessarily more inclusive than the tenets they live by.

Comments

• Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    Agreed. The law is the law.

If they want to run a business that is open to the public then they have to run it within the confines of the law of the land. Religion cannot come into it at all.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    It's my sincerely held belief (and hope) that the Christian Institute should be landed with a nice big bill for all the legal work incurred during this case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Religious loons thinking their fairy story trumps the law? whodathunkit.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Perhaps they got confused and thought they were going to the Supreme Being Court.
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad they lost their 3rd appeal. They clearly discriminated. They believe marriage to be 1 man 1 woman. At the time the gay couple couldn't marry AND the Bulls didn't accept or recognise a CP. If you are going to run a business like that, you have to adhere to the laws of the land. I see the Christian Institute funded they legal cases. It's funny how some religious folk seem to think that religious belief should trump equality and discrimination laws. They moan about being the victim and how it's unfair to Christians but I bet you any money that if it was the other way around it would be fine. If religious belief could trump equality I bet they would be happy with that. Typical hypocrites if you ask me
    I wonder if they will go to the European Court of Human Rights?
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Religious loons thinking their fairy story trumps the law? whodathunkit.

^^^^^

Exactly this, Religious nutjobs are so lost in their fantasy world that they lose touch with reality & fail to move with the times. Over the years we have had deaths caused by religion, like.....

All those Jehovah Witnesses that had lost someone through to refusing a blood transfusion, thankfully the law changed so that doctors were able to give the transfusions.

Those aids sufferers that were brainwashed to stop taking their medication & to use faith instead. They prayed instead of taking their pills and they died.

That Lady in Ireland that died from the result of being refused an abortion due to some nutjob saying that she couldn't have an abortion because she was in a Catholic country.

And now common sense prevails over make believe BS. The judge made the right decision in this case. My only hope now is that nonce priests are found & put to trial in front of the law & not by the sky fairy.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »
    I'm glad they lost their 3rd appeal. They clearly discriminated. They believe marriage to be 1 man 1 woman. At the time the gay couple couldn't marry AND the Bulls didn't accept or recognise a CP. If you are going to run a business like that, you have to adhere to the laws of the land. I see the Christian Institute funded they legal cases. It's funny how some religious folk seem to think that religious belief should trump equality and discrimination laws. They moan about being the victim and how it's unfair to Christians but I bet you any money that if it was the other way around it would be fine. If religious belief could trump equality I bet they would be happy with that. Typical hypocrites if you ask me
    I wonder if they will go to the European Court of Human Rights?
    I heard on the radio that they're not going to take it any further. Good decision.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Money to burn obviously. Where next? The UN?
  • Options
    Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Serves them right. They are nothing but bigots hiding behind their faith. Claiming they couldn't allow the gay couple of room because it goes against their religion. Garbage. They did it because they were gay. Religion breeds bigots like a corpse breeds maggots.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    I heard on the radio that they're not going to take it any further. Good decision.

Thank goodness! Although I quite like the idea of Christian Institute wasn't their money further on a lost cause.
    I've already seen the religious loons on twitter moaning about Political Correctness gone mad and all that crap. lol
    One suggests registering as some sort of religious organisation or institute and bypassing discrimination laws... Good luck with that. That will decrease the number of potential guests
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Why did the gay couple not just leave and go somewhere else? I have stayed in plenty of B&B's and have left some for a multitude of reasons. Dirty, bad service, no parking...

Yes it is not right to discriminate but the world is not a fair place nor ever will be. If people allow others poor values to get under their skin then they will always be unhappy.

Perhaps I am just too easy going...:confused:
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Kinda torn on this TBH.

In this case I've no great sympathy for the B&B owners but I'm not keen on the idea of setting this kind of legal precedent.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Wonderful news. May these homophobic bigots learn a lesson and a lesson to be learnt by others.

People are people, no matter what their sexual preference, it has sod all to do with them, with their religion or morals, more about ignorance and intolerance.

Result!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    Why did the gay couple not just leave and go somewhere else? I have stayed in plenty of B&B's and have left some for a multitude of reasons. Dirty, bad service, no parking...

Yes it is not right to discriminate but the world is not a fair place nor ever will be.

Why put up with blatant discrimination? If you can help to make the world a fairer place, go for it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Kinda torn on this TBH.

In this case I've no great sympathy for the B&B owners but I'm not keen on the idea of setting this kind of legal precedent.

What if they denied a room to a black couple or a mixed race couple?
    Why does it set legal precedent just because the courts were in agreement with the gay couple? I'd be pretty hacked off if I paid for a room with my partner and then told due to "religious belief" we couldn't share a bed. It's none of their business and they shouldn't be enforcing their personal views on other people.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    Kinda torn on this TBH.

Legal precedent? There is one already - it says you cannot stop people accessing your public-facing business because of their sexual orientation. That sounds fair enough to me.

If you run a business, you run a business. If it is open to the public you cannot pick and choose your customers based on things like sexual orientation or race, colour, nationality etc.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Mike Judge, from the Christian Institute, said after the hearing: 'What this case shows is that the powers of political correctness have reached all the way to the top of the judicial tree, so much so that even the Supreme Court dare not say anything against gay rights.'"

Before adding 'Heh heh. Heh heh. Homeowners'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kinda torn on this TBH.

It's not really setting a precedent - just clarifying a law which already exists.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read this and it's brilliant news. I did notice the Bulls decided to have one last pop about their "traditional" values outside the court as well.

It's a shame in a way that tolerance needs to be enforced by law, but if it subsequently leads to more tolerance then it's a very good thing.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Wonderful news. May these homophobic bigots learn a lesson and a lesson to be learnt by others.

People are people, no matter what their sexual preference, it has sod all to do with them, with their religion or morals, more about ignorance and intolerance.

Result!! :)

Well there are whole countries that are like the owners of this B&B. Central Africa, Saudi Arabia...
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member

Yes it is not right to discriminate but the world is not a fair place nor ever will be. If people allow others poor values to get under their skin then they will always be unhappy.

Perhaps I am just too easy going...:confused:

It's not just that it's not right to discriminate it's illegal to do so on the grounds of someone's sexuality or race or sex etc.

The Bulls were breaking the law and that is why the gay couple didn't just go elsewhere. If everyone took your attitude then society would never change. Why should people get away with treating gay people badly? Why should gay people accept getting booted out of accommodation because of their sexuality?
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Kinda torn on this TBH.

What legal precedent is that?that discriminating on the grounds of sexuality is a bad thing and shouldn't be allowed? Yeah that would be terrible wouldn't it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda torn on this TBH.

If they'd won the right to discriminate it would have been a precedent. As it was, it was just a straight forward case based on the discrimination laws already in place. They were obviously being bankrolled by a wealthy Christian group.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    Well there are whole countries that are like the owners of this B&B. Central Africa, Saudi Arabia...

All the more reason for tackling this sort of discrimination where we can actually do something about it IMO. If it were to be condoned in this country how could any progress ever be made.