Nokia Lumia 625 v's iPhone 5s

Lucozade76Lucozade76 Posts: 131
Forum Member
On EE I was about to get the iPhone 5s for £47 as part of my new contract upgrade from T-Mobile. (networks irrelevant.)
Instead they persuaded me to take the Nokia Lumia 625 for free.

Did I make the right choice?

I have 14 days to change my mind. :confused:

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lumia is a nice phone, but it depends on what you want to do with it.

I use a Windows Phone and the only problem I find it the lack of quality apps. If you don't use that many apps it may not be an issue for you.

You have saved quite a lot of money!
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you got a massively discounted tariff, you've been scammed. Well, maybe scammed is the wrong word, but I doubt that you've got a good deal.

The 625 is a darned good phone, and personally much prefer WP8 over iOS (I've yet to find a "killer app" on iOS, and the WP8 keyboard is leagues ahead of what iOS offers).

Catch is that the 625 is a relatively cheap phone - typically around £150. The iPhone 5S tends to start at around £500.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimy.

Hope you get at least 10gb of data with that deal.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the 625 is more a budget windows phone, despite the big screen with only 512MB RAM so don't expect to be playing the better games in the windows store and some apps may not be compatible with your device simply because it has 512MB RAM.

Windows Phone is an excellent choice though, but there are much better premium windows phones available
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And £20 cheaper line rental
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Wow, now that is one good upgrade adviser! They've got you to agree to upgrade to the bottom of the equipment list from your original choice near the top.

Hopefully your priceplan has been dropped to a similar low end price?
  • Lucozade76Lucozade76 Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    £29.99 a month capped.
    1000 mins
    Unlimted texts
    1GB Data.

My 16 year old Son has a windows phone and said it's good but not for apps.
    Hmmm

What to do. :confused::)
  • jp200300jp200300 Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I've used all 3 operating systems and happily settled with my 625. Camera is rubbish and there's a few apps you cant get, for me hsbc, TalkTalk, to name a couple but I have a hudl too so use that if need be. The most important thing for me about the 625 though is that the battery lasts all day.
    Forum Member
    Lucozade76 wrote: »
    £29.99 a month capped.
    1000 mins
    Unlimted texts
    1GB Data.

Hmmm

Send it back, he took advantage of your ignorance of phone models.

That offer is available on the EE site for £18.99 a month with 4G...

1 GB £18.99 4G
    1000 MIN /
    Unlimited SMS
    FREE PHONE

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/pay-monthly/nokia-lumia-625/details#choosePlanAnchor

For £29.99 you should be getting 5GB data and unlimited calls/texts or a better phone.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Send it back, he took advantage of your ignorance of phone models.

That offer is available on the EE site for £18.99 a month with 4G...

1 GB £18.99 4G
    1000 MIN /
    Unlimited SMS
    FREE PHONE

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/pay-monthly/nokia-lumia-625/details#choosePlanAnchor

For £29.99 you should be getting 5GB data and unlimited calls/texts or a better phone.

Agreed.

Plus it's not capped. But whatever they say to keep you amirite.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £29.99 a month capped.
    1000 mins
    Unlimted texts
    1GB Data.

Hmmm

I'm getting that same deal with a Lumia 520 for £12.50 a month. The camera's unusable but that doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I use a camera for that purpose. I also couldn't care less about apps and even less than that about games.

One thing that annoys me BIG TIME about Windows phones is that wretched Bing button and Microsoft's arrogant, condescending attitude towards users' complaints about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I'm getting that same deal with a Lumia 520 for £12.50 a month. The camera's unusable but that doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I use a camera for that purpose. I also couldn't care less about apps and even less than that about games.

One thing that annoys me BIG TIME about Windows phones is that wretched Bing button and Microsoft's arrogant, condescending attitude towards users' complaints about it.

What do you mean by the Bing button, search?

That's really handy actually.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you like Bing.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    What do you mean by the Bing button, search?

That's really handy actually.

The search button on WP must be the least used button in mobile history. I mean no one would willing use Bing in the first place and to have it there as a permanent button is crazy.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't sound like a great deal, if I'm honest.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest i would send it back unless you can get a good discount(the deal you were offered with the lowish/mid end lumia 625 looks poor value) and get the phone you wanted in the first place the 5s, 24 months is a long time to regret taking what you were talked into.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The search button on WP must be the least used button in mobile history. I mean no one would willing use Bing in the first place and to have it there as a permanent button is crazy.

Firstly, do you know that Apple now use Bing for search on iOS?
    http://searchengineland.com/with-ios-7-siri-drops-google-for-bing-172110

Secondly, the search button gives you QR/barcode reading, OCR text capture, and a music utility as per Shazam. Local search is really handy too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £29.99 a month capped.
    1000 mins
    Unlimted texts
    1GB Data.

Hmmm

its more than fine for apps, which app are you needing to use? I've used windows phone for about 3 years now and never had an issue with an app I needed. They have all the apps I need.

You could get a 925 for the same price which is a nice and sleek looking phone, and a much higher end model.
    Forum Member
    its more than fine for apps, which app are you needing to use? I've used windows phone for about 3 years now and never had an issue with an app I needed. They have all the apps I need.

Problem seems to be mainly with banking apps and of course Sky that seem to have an issue with WP, no SkyGo app or even plans for one.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Problem seems to be mainly with banking apps and of course Sky that seem to have an issue with WP, no SkyGo app or even plans for one.

Sky don't seem to want to be on half of the devices out there.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Sky don't seem to want to be on half of the devices out there.

True, but least the majority of decent Android phones and iOS are covered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Barclays, TSB, Lloyds Bank, RBS, NatWest all support Windows Phone, Santander are in the process of developing an app, as is HSBC,

Nationwide is always last with everything, they don't even have contactless payments yet.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You mean the search button that can be amended to use Google instead of Bing?

I changed the behaviour on my 1020 for a few days. Returned to bing - just looks nicer, gives different results, not necessarily any worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't really use the search button, although I do use bing, search results are a bit different but always get the things I need.
  • Lucozade76Lucozade76 Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Well now that I have had it a couple of days I can confirm it's a plate of crap. (plate because it's so big.)
    Believe it or not I asked for a phone with the camera in mind yet this camera is worse than on my Galaxy Ace 2 and that itself is a saucer of crap.

Trying to access Gmail is awful. I seem to be getting to open my mail offline. I can't see how to archive my mail which I am pedantic about doing.

There is a list of things I just don't like about it.

That aside I got this from Phones 4U.
    It was an upgrade yet my 4G has not been activated and bearing in mind it's an upgrade I should have had the number transferred - but well over the 48 hrs and still no transfer so technically I have two contracts.
    The deal was to give me £100 cash, but most that was to cover the buy-out so they owed me £2.50 or there abouts however again 'believe it or not' they did not have £2.50 in the shop so asked me to come back for it the next day 'if I wanted.'

I will be going back and leaving the phone there.

No matter what you want a phone for I personally would avoid the Nokia Lumia 625.
    [highlight]**[/highlight]I'm a 37 year old male - I'd be interested to know if anyone does like it then what demographic they belong to?