Options

Problem with Vaio VGN-TX2XP video drivers, keeps reinstalling on boot - Windows 7

max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there all, I recently upgrade a Sony VAIO VGN-TX2XP to Windows 7 from Windows XP but I'm having massive problems with video driver as every time I boot the laptop is will start back up at 640x480 and it comes up that it's installing the video driver on the task bar every time.

I installed it properly via the device manager but every time I turn it back on and it boots back to Windows 7 it will pop up with the speech bubble on the Taskbar saying that it's installing the video device and goes back to 640x480

Is there any way to stop this or is there something I'm doing wrong? I've never had this problem before with these laptops when installing Windows 7 but this TX model is the 1st generation model with the old Centrino logo sticker with the pink and blue triangles, could it be that this model will not work with Windows 7?

I have tried reinstalling OS again and compatibility options and it just keeps on doing the same thing on boot up each time, anyone have any ideas? Mike

Comments

• Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Apparently this laptop uses the Intel GMA900 graphics adaptor. If that is the case then it isn't supported on anything later than XP. If you have the 32bit edition of Windows 7 you may be able to bodge the older drivers into installing but how stable it will be is anyone's guess.

Depending on what you are planning on using the laptop for you may be better off trying some form of Linux instead.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    Apparently this laptop uses the Intel GMA900 graphics adaptor. If that is the case then it isn't supported on anything later than XP. If you have the 32bit edition of Windows 7 you may be able to bodge the older drivers into installing but how stable it will be is anyone's guess.

Depending on what you are planning on using the laptop for you may be better off trying some form of Linux instead.

...and the LXLE, Zorin Lite, Linux Mint Cinnamon and Linux Mint Mate variants of Linux shouldn't be too hard to adapt to as they have a broadly similar menu system to XP. That said, there'll still be a bit of learning curve.

It's also easy to try Linux variants from a live DVD/CD without actually installing Linux - see http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72555734&postcount=462.