Options

ITV should bring back gem's

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone remeber this mid 80s daytime soap? Here is the opening/end credits, I think it could work today as an 1 hour prime time soap. We need a bit of glamour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9kq22LdbdM

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does nobody remember it then?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I remember it well. loved it.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't remember Gens, but was worth clicking on the link, to hear the Music played alongside Themes Ident.

Sad I Know
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    I do remember it, and I do think we should try another "Glamorous" type soap in the UK. All our current 'native' soaps are essentially working class and "gritty". I'd like to see a bit of glamour and less realism (if you can call any soap realistic...). Howard's Way was a bit like that, but probably a bit dated now as it did really revolve around the 1980s yachting set and values of Thatcherism..

But yes, something that isn't dreary would be nice - something a bit brighter, and fluffier.
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I remember Gems... it wasn't particularly glamorous (those opening titles are a bit misleading).

Most of it was set in a fashion designer's office/studio, but it was still a bit grubby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I remember Gems... it wasn't particularly glamorous (those opening titles are a bit misleading).

Most of it was set in a fashion designer's office/studio, but it was still a bit grubby.
    Perhaps, but compared to all current brit soaps who all follow the same tired formula, gems was british glamour, not to be confused with american glamour!
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    I do remember it, and I do think we should try another "Glamorous" type soap in the UK. All our current 'native' soaps are essentially working class and "gritty". I'd like to see a bit of glamour and less realism (if you can call any soap realistic...). Howard's Way was a bit like that, but probably a bit dated now as it did really revolve around the 1980s yachting set and values of Thatcherism..

But yes, something that isn't dreary would be nice - something a bit brighter, and fluffier.

Your best bet is "The Only way is essex"
  • Options
    GingerMacGingerMac Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't remember the opening titles much but do remember the show and a lot of the characters, Ruth who was from Hull, Cindy Callaghan, Ben the photographer.
    Caroline Goodall was also in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »

Yes, a bit of glamour and style with good looking actors.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    They should bring back 'Families' or 'Revelations'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    They should bring back 'Families' or 'Revelations'.

Frankly, any new soap would be good and make a refreshing change,
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Gems! Jeez, that's a blast from the past. Gems followed by sons and Daughters - happy days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Gems! Jeez, that's a blast from the past. Gems followed by sons and Daughters - happy days.

Ah yes.... back when their were loads of soaps, happy days long gone.:(
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I used to rush home from school, even though i'd set the video. Luckily I only lived 10 mins walk away and finished at 3.20 so was back for Sods and Bods as we used to call sons and Daughters.