Options

Sky Three to replace Sky Travel

AlberonAlberon Posts: 482
Forum Member
SKy Travel is being removed from next month and is being replaced by Sky Three according to MediaGuardian and will be free-to-view.
Sky Three will offer a mixed schedule including programmes already shown on Sky One and original lifestyle commissions and travel documentaries from Sky Travel. It will be available to 13m homes, 5.2m of them via Freeview.

The third run of Kiefer Sutherland drama 24, which has already aired on Sky One, will be one of the highlights of Sky Three's launch schedule. Other programmes transferring from Sky One will include crime drama Cold Case and I Can Change Your Life, featuring hypnotist Paul McKenna.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Great news, yet another reason for people to get freeview now. Sky have realised now switchover is confirmed they need this to compete with the big players on freeview.
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sounds like great news for Freeview

Calling it Sky Three is a bit daft as we dont have One or Two, but its only a name
  • Options
    OtisOtis Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky One - BskyB's main entertainment service (satellite)

Sky Two (currently called 'Sky Mix') - a timeshift version of Sky One (satellite)

Sky Three (all the drivel that used to be on Sky One before BskyB threw money at it) - (satellite and terrestrial)
  • Options
    chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is good news cant wait
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    "The expansion of Sky's portfolio of entertainment channels will allow us to deliver more value to customers and to exploit programme rights more effectively," said Dawn Airey, Sky Networks MD.

"By launching simultaneously on Freeview, Sky Three will reach an even wider audience and offer digital terrestrial viewers the opportunity to enjoy a wide variety of popular programmes from Sky."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Otis wrote:
    Sky One - BskyB's main entertainment service (satellite)

Sky Two (currently called 'Sky Mix') - a timeshift version of Sky One (satellite)

Sky Three (all the drivel that used to be on Sky One before BskyB threw money at it) - (satellite and terrestrial)

I thought sky mix was a mix of sky one's shows, not a time shift.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote:
    Calling it Sky Three is a bit daft as we dont have One or Two, but its only a name

I think thats the whole point, you will feel as if your missing out and then hopefully upgrade to Sky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quinnyyy wrote:
    Its still a timeshift but a day later rather than an hour later.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quinnyyy wrote:
    Its actually a time shuffle channel, meaning the same shows as Sky One but at different times of the day.

Suprising news about Sky Three launching on Freeview but obviously great news. :) and yes I will hold my hand up, because I was one of those who said Sky One,Two or Three wouldn't launch on Freeview.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Well at least i can watch 24 again (even if it is an older episode)
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Otis wrote:

Sky One used to show some great programmes back in 1989 and early 90's it was when they 'threw money at it' it became crap and I hardly ever watched the channel, granted just lately it has got a little better, but still only one or two programmes worth watching.
  • Options
    Trim hot coedTrim hot coed Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Digi Man wrote:
    I was one of those who said Sky One,Two or Three wouldn't launch on Freeview.
    And your reasons for saying so were pretty logical, in my view.

My guess is that Sky see Freeview as the platform most likely to attract a large number of new viewers quickly (due to switchover), and want a way to get their message in front of all these potential sky customers.

Let's face it, Sky Travel was never going to attract anyone likely to be interested in Sky. Sky Three, on the other hand, is far better positioned as a prospecting tool.

From my perspective, everybody wins with this latest news...

1) Sky, because I'm certain they'll get new customers from this move

2) Freeviewers, because Sky Travel was only useful as a way of getting to sleep

3) Me, because I'm just too poor to get Sky...but would if I could :-)
  • Options
    paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is great news. i look forward to be able to see the new (to freeview) season of 24. i hope it will be shown in widescreen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Considering the delay in programming does this mean that Sky Three could be showing the first seasons of Battlestar Galactica? Rescue Me? etc. I think the channel has a lot of potential and they may well throw in a series currently on Sky One to show people what they are missing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    paulea25 wrote:
    I think the channel has a lot of potential and they may well throw in a series currently on Sky One to show people what they are missing.

Except they wouldn't be missing it then, removing an incentive to upgrade to Sky.... doubt that'll happen, at least not with anything worth watching.

Great news for me though - even if it is 12-18 months behind it'll be great to get a more substantial offering from Sky on DTT.
  • Options
    Top Up TV loverTop Up TV lover Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its a masterstroke from sky and today ITV and CH4 must be bricking it.

The reason why its so clever is, people who get a freeview box will see they have Sky 3 and wonder where sky 1 and 2 are???.

Answer: Sky Digital

It's very clever i have to admit.
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    chrisdafur wrote:
    I think thats the whole point, you will feel as if your missing out and then hopefully upgrade to Sky.

I agree with you there.

They will always be advertising the other 2, etc.

I'm just hoping they will show the odd film.

Both Sky One & Sky Mix do.
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well e4 and ITV2,4 could stop that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    This is great news :P Although i used to watch Sky Travel but then i got bored of it because of all these pet shows like The Zoo a brill chance for us freeview viewers to watch some great shows does anyone know it The simpsons will be shown on Sky Three? :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Personally can't see many people seeing one sky channel and thinking 'Wow must have the rest'.

Even if the programmes were the newest ones, Sky 3 (and Sky 1) will still be dominated by below average stuff.

It'll be ok on Freeview as it'll add a bit more choice.
  • Options
    EDITEDIT Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    im very happy with this

now i am definitly takin my freeview box to uni
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    I can't see Sky 3 providing loads of new subscribers to Sky, people normally get it more for the Sport and Movies, and not the SKy One content.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Ive got Freesat from Sky and Freeview too! So do you reckon when Sky Three comes to Freeview it will go FTA on Sky?
  • Options
    BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't get Sky Digital nor the old analogue satellite service for either Sports nor Movies. I wouldn't get Sky Digital just for Sky One though either, yes they have the odd good programme on, but they lost their way in the mid 90's.

I have Sky Digital for the many channels there are and for some of the programmes on each channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    paulsalter wrote:
    Calling it Sky Three is a bit daft ...

You could pronounce it Sky Free ;-)