Options

My final appointment with mental health worker tomorrow and im screwed

ackeracker Posts: 8,809
Forum Member
Well there you go acker post at 3 a.m when theres no one about :(..I struggle with my mental health . I struggle like I dont know what . A lot of the time I genuinely cant get out of the house at all and im just overwhelmed by panic. Now I used to have a cure for this ...it was called drinking but that honestly had to stop years ago and I went and stayed on a Priory for three months and I havent drunk since , but all the reasons I used to drink are still there :cry: Over the years ive been passed from this to that MH worker most of whom , with the best will in the world really havent had a clue what to do with me and thats just how its been, Ive never blamed them , they havent got magic wands .

For the last six months ive been seeing a worker every week who has been wonderful ....the only one who has actually managed to get right down there into the reasons I " struggle " . That lady should get shares in Kleenex . Sometimes youre just glad of a cry innit , Anyway our sessions were to only last for six months and its our last one on Wednesday afternoon and at the risk of sounding stupid ( and im getting past caring ) I feel like im being cast adrift in a leaky lifeboat ( scared smiley ) . Im going to miss her like **** .,

Im sat here now in tears but like I say , im glad of the cry , but what do I do ? I really am screwed . Friends can only do so much ( they havent got a magic wand either ) and you really cant just lay it all on THEM all the time . Ive spent the last thirty six or so hours zonked ( but not enough :o ) on ( prescribed ) chlorpromazine and just had another 25mg hoping I can sleep. I dont even know what " advice " im looking for . I remember when life was fun ....this isnt :(:cry:

And if anybody posts and I havent replied ....it wont be because im ungrateful or ignorant itll be because im "struggling" to even get on here .:(......if youve read it all ...thanks.
Actually ive just made a conscious decision not to go to our last session ...I couldnt stand the " goodbye "...im not even sure I can get out anyway :(....not great...probably stopped my own thread. :o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Well im up and awake too acker... and even tho i don't know what your going thru, i can understand what it's like to be awake and worrying/stressing and the feeling of impending doom is upon you. It's not a nice feeling is it?

Im not sure i can really give you any advice... just to hang in there, cry when you want to, it's a great release.
    Can they give you ongoing help if you need another 6 months help?

Kyls :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well im up and awake too acker... and even tho i don't know what your going thru, i can understand what it's like to be awake and worrying/stressing and the feeling of impending doom is upon you. It's not a nice feeling is it?

Im not sure i can really give you any advice... just to hang in there, cry when you want to, it's a great release.
    Can they give you ongoing help if you need another 6 months help?

Kyls :)

hiya KT :)...thanks for posting ,No six months and were done. The cry when you want to advice is good but , oh dear there are times when you want to but simply cant but youre so wishing you could . That usually ends up a panic attack . But hey its 3-30 a.m. and you took the trouble to post ....honestly ...thankyou :):cry:
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what the mental health system is like, can be quite blunt in the way they just casually toss you aside sometimes. I found once you're in it you're totally entrenched and feel like a patient most of the time, but when you get out the loop there's just no help out there at all and it becomes really hard to get a CPN again. But if you're struggling I think they will offter additional help, they can't just leave someone who is genuinely mentally ill to fend for themselves. She sounds like a nice worker to just be honest and say you won't be able to cope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on your path Acker. Are there any local support groups you could go to, run by outfits like Mind etc?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Your welcome acker! :)

My son is 15 and suffers from mental health issues, he's depressed. My Ex-husbands family suffers from Manic Depression and Bi-Polar... and poor kid seems he takes after that side of the family a bit...
    He manages the best he can, he's often an angry kid... i just wish i could make him happy. I try and support him best i can...
    So.... i kind of know what your going thru... take one day at a time, day by day is my motto...
    Hope your meds kick in soon and you can get some sleep... i will be going to bed soon too....
    Will say night now.... :);)
  • Options
    MaybelleMaybelle Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Acker - I'm up too. I know a friend of mine brought her son with her (as she was really past speaking for herself and very vulnerable) when they tried to sign her off and managed to get more help. Is there anyone who might do that for you?
  • Options
    nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey acker ((((((hugs)))))
    I think you should go to your session if only to reinforce to all concerned how much you need continued support. You know i'm usually around at silly o'clock so I'll be thinking of you xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    I know what the mental health system is like, can be quite blunt in the way they just casually toss you aside sometimes. I found once you're in it you're totally entrenched and feel like a patient most of the time, but when you get out the loop there's just no help out there at all and it becomes really hard to get a CPN again. But if you're struggling I think they will offter additional help, they can't just leave someone who is genuinely mentally ill to fend for themselves. She sounds like a nice worker to just be honest and say you won't be able to cope.

thanks Sifter :)...yep im struggling alright , I think this last six months is filed under " additional help " .:( Im kind of embarrassed to start a thread like this but at one and the same time im not embarrassed at all .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been on your path Acker. Are there any local support groups you could go to, run by outfits like Mind etc?

hiya Sad BB :) I did go to agoraphobics anonymous for a bit but nobody ever came ( gallows humour ) . Did you find a support group that worked for you ? Thats the kind of thing I need to look at isnt it .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybelle wrote: »
    Hi Acker - I'm up too. I know a friend of mine brought her son with her (as she was really past speaking for herself and very vulnerable) when they tried to sign her off and managed to get more help. Is there anyone who might do that for you?

Hiya Maybelle :)...well my mum really wants to come to my GP with me ....good old mum :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acks I have to go kick my muay thai guy for the next hour or so but I'll be around after that (((((()))))) xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acker wrote: »
    hiya Sad BB :) I did go to agoraphobics anonymous for a bit but nobody ever came ( gallows humour ) . Did you find a support group that worked for you ? Thats the kind of thing I need to look at isnt it .

Yep; your mental health worker ought to have a list of what's available. Once you get to a group once, you can swap phone numbers/email addresses with others to extend your circle of support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nowahalla wrote: »
    Hey acker ((((((hugs)))))
    I think you should go to your session if only to reinforce to all concerned how much you need continued support. You know i'm usually around at silly o'clock so I'll be thinking of you xxx

(((halla))) :)...I CANT go mate , I look like sh*t. :( I,ll phone her and see if shell rearrange it and if she cant then back to the docs . I hate it being this way ....Chlorpromazines kicking in right proper now and im not gonna fight it , gonna sleep . Thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep; your mental health worker ought to have a list of what's available. Once you get to a group once, you can swap phone numbers/email addresses with others to extend your circle of support.

Thanks I appreciate that I really do :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (((halla))) :)...I CANT go mate , I look like sh*t. :( I,ll phone her and see if shell rearrange it and if she cant then back to the docs . I hate it being this way ....Chlorpromazines kicking in right proper now and im not gonna fight it , gonna sleep . Thanks :)

ok hun, get some sleep, will 'see' you later xx
    instructor here any minute..will give him a couple of extra kicks on your behalf..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you not re refer yourself back for more therapy when this course finishes? I see a therapist who my gp referred me to who signed me off while I had my baby recently and advised me to refer myself back on which I have done, and the best bit is I start a whole new allowance of sessions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you not re refer yourself back for more therapy when this course finishes? I see a therapist who my gp referred me to who signed me off while I had my baby recently and advised me to refer myself back on which I have done, and the best bit is I start a whole new allowance of sessions.

Thanks :)....somebody else has suggested this and I will make an appointment with my GP to ask, but im not hopeful. I have left a message asking MH worker to phone me at the time my appointment would have been . I CANT get out and my eyes are red raw from crying :o:(
  • Options
    MaybelleMaybelle Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks :)....somebody else has suggested this and I will make an appointment with my GP to ask, but im not hopeful. I have left a message asking MH worker to phone me at the time my appointment would have been . I CANT get out and my eyes are red raw from crying :o:(

Acker - have you thought about asking your mum to go with you? Apart from my friend with mental health issues - I have at least two other friends with ongoing major physical problems and they now always take someone with them to take notes, ask relevant questions and generally 'stand up' for them.

Quite often at an appointment people may forget to tell the doctor things, not want to be a 'trouble', not ask the right questions or actually not be feeling as bad as they normally do. Your people may not realise how awful you feel.

((((((Acker))))))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acker, could you contact your local Mind centre http://www.mind.org.uk/ and ask if they have an advocate who could contact people on your behalf?

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/mentalhealth/Pages/Helplines.aspx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    All you can do is ask her if you stay on or get re referred.
    If theres a time limit and you have to go there are loads of other options such as Mind or longer term counselling. Dont panic ask her what the options are.
  • Options
    Nikki E.Nikki E. Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there you go acker post at 3 a.m when theres no one about :(..I struggle with my mental health . I struggle like I dont know what . A lot of the time I genuinely cant get out of the house at all and im just overwhelmed by panic. Now I used to have a cure for this ...it was called drinking but that honestly had to stop years ago and I went and stayed on a Priory for three months and I havent drunk since , but all the reasons I used to drink are still there :cry: Over the years ive been passed from this to that MH worker most of whom , with the best will in the world really havent had a clue what to do with me and thats just how its been, Ive never blamed them , they havent got magic wands .

For the last six months ive been seeing a worker every week who has been wonderful ....the only one who has actually managed to get right down there into the reasons I " struggle " . That lady should get shares in Kleenex . Sometimes youre just glad of a cry innit , Anyway our sessions were to only last for six months and its our last one on Wednesday afternoon and at the risk of sounding stupid ( and im getting past caring ) I feel like im being cast adrift in a leaky lifeboat ( scared smiley ) . Im going to miss her like **** .,

Im sat here now in tears but like I say , im glad of the cry , but what do I do ? I really am screwed . Friends can only do so much ( they havent got a magic wand either ) and you really cant just lay it all on THEM all the time . Ive spent the last thirty six or so hours zonked ( but not enough :o ) on ( prescribed ) chlorpromazine and just had another 25mg hoping I can sleep. I dont even know what " advice " im looking for . I remember when life was fun ....this isnt :(:cry:

And if anybody posts and I havent replied ....it wont be because im ungrateful or ignorant itll be because im "struggling" to even get on here .:(......if youve read it all ...thanks.
    Actually ive just made a conscious decision not to go to our last session ...I couldnt stand the " goodbye "...im not even sure I can get out anyway :(....not great...probably stopped my own thread. :o

Hey acker,
    I can really relate to your posts.

Moving from team to team within the MH system is awful; it's common, but still an awful experience, particularly when it comes to moving on from working with someone you feel understands and/or has helped you.

I would also concur with the same advice of an above poster, whom advised asking for help from a family member.

My mum has been attending all of my sessions with my latest CPN, which has helped me immensely.
    (My mum may no longer be able to take me to meetings with my CPN much longer, and - despite the fact that I think my current CPN is brilliant - the thought of attending those meetings alone is a cause of extreme anxiety.)

Feel free to PM me, if you should wish to do so. I'd be more-than happy to talk.

Take care of yourself. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I want to thank everyone thats posted in this thread ...youve all helped. Even you just taking the trouble to post has helped . Im still screwed but thanks a lot . I DONT think im betraying a confidence if I tell you my worker told me on the phone that im " Not getting away with the not saying goodbye " thing and rearranged .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear you're not having such a great time. But your priory programme will include a years aftercare and this will cover your ATP and gen mental health. Get back in touch with them because you're absolutely entitled to free aftercare and therapy. X
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to thank everyone thats posted in this thread ...youve all helped. Even you just taking the trouble to post has helped . Im still screwed but thanks a lot . I DONT think im betraying a confidence if I tell you my worker told me on the phone that im " Not getting away with the not saying goodbye " thing and rearranged .

That made me smile as it sounds like your worker really cares - which is no doubt why you are dreading having to say goodbye.

As others have said, it seems inconceivable that you will just be abandoned when you definitely need ongoing support, so even if it's a case of back to the beginning and getting a new referral from your GP, just go for it.The NHS is supposed to be there to meet people's clinical needs - you need care and you should receive it.