Options

Official, 2014 to be the last.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
Forum Member
So, as we all suspected, the gritting salt will be poured onto the rink next year and DOI will bid us farewell. I think it's the right decision at the end of the day, the show had run it's course over the last 8 years and with next year being Bolero's 30th anniversary, it's a fitting farewell. It's been a fun 8 years, but now is the right time to say goodbye. Thanks for the memories Jayne and Chris and all who have been involved.

Comments

• Options
    sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the time right?
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I assume next year will be an All-Stars show, then.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Seems fitting for T&D to bow out, 30th anniversary of Bolero etc.

I wouild have been interested to see if it could be continued/revived with a new duo/team at the helm.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm not too surprised by this. The show had reached the end of its natural life. The last couple of years have been the worst ever. Oh well, it means one less reality show to grace our screens and that can only be a good thing :D What will it be replaced with?
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think most of us predicted that at the end of the last series
    • Never really recovered once Holly Willoughbooby moved on and was replaced by Mrs Lampard, who had no chemistry with Pip
    • Nothing new to see, you see one headbanger you have seen them all
    • Letting Jason go originally was a big mistake

The list is endless

RIP Dancing on Ice 2006-2014
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not surprising. I think most people realised that DOI was really at the end of it's lifetime but they would hang on for one more series so they could do a 30th anniversary tour. I hope that they do something really good for the final series, perhaps a champion of champions or all-stars series using some of the best contestants from previous years, so that the programme ends on a bang, instead of fizzling out with a whimper.
  • Options
    -Felicity--Felicity- Posts: 4,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see Kieron Richardson again, was a bit in love with him :o

And I never think it's the 'right time' for one of my favourite TV shows to come to an end :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not too surprised by this. The show had reached the end of its natural life. The last couple of years have been the worst ever. Oh well, it means one less reality show to grace our screens and that can only be a good thing :D What will it be replaced with?

A celebrity dancing show and Splash (celebrities diving).
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    A year or 2 back I'd have been devastated by this news, but I agree that it probably is time to call it a day... I would rather the show hopefully go out on a high next year with the Bolero 30th anniversary, than see it carry on getting worse. Hopefully the 'Pros On Ice' tour will carry on, I saw it recently and to be honest it would more than plug the gap left by Dancing On Ice for me personally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    The time was right because it was a tired format and was just getting worse. My favourite years were from about 2008-2010, when the format was straightforward i.e. a simple week by week elimination, and they had great skaters like Chris Fountain, Ray Quinn, Hayley Tamaddon, awful ones like Aggie McKenzie and Todd Carty and the odd surprise package, i.e. Keiron Richardson, Donal McIntyre. Since 2011 though, I have had less and less interest, too many stupid additions, like Team Challenges and Duels, and the judges egos were getting too large as well, like this year when they refused to clap at Beth's win. So yeah, it was time to put it out of it's misery, although I hope next year, they really put on a great series to end it.
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »
    • Never really recovered once Holly Willoughbooby moved on and was replaced by Mrs Lampard, who had no chemistry with Pip

The list is endless

The show had run its course like other reality shows. Holly W is shedding viewers weekly on the Voice. Great to see it go out with still good ratings. Hope they keep Christine for the last series though Holly may want to come back if the Voice is axed.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree we could all see this coming. T&D have done less ice dancing themselves as the shows have gone on, I really think they should have gone on the judging panel and had others doing the choreography. I think their "celebs" have gone rather z list too and guessed they were struggling when they started brining the likes of Charlene Chilten and Pamela Anderson over.
    Best to go now with a bit of dignity.

It would be great if Mr Cowell had the balls to scrap X Factor too.......we can but dream....
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tigragirl wrote: »
    I agree we could all see this coming. T&D have done less ice dancing themselves as the shows have gone on, I really think they should have gone on the judging panel and had others doing the choreography. I think their "celebs" have gone rather z list too and guessed they were struggling when they started brining the likes of Charlene Chilten and Pamela Anderson over.
    Best to go now with a bit of dignity.

It would be great if Mr Cowell had the balls to scrap X Factor too.......we can but dream....
    Scrap all those reality tv shows especially those singing and dancing ones. BGT is the only entertaining one now. Strictly is getting boring also and don't even mention big brother. Too much pantomime. The reality is that people on those shows who look for fame quickly are now role models for this generation.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    tobi wrote: »
    The show had run its course like other reality shows. Holly W is shedding viewers weekly on the Voice. .
    The Voice was the 2nd most watched show in the country last week after BGT. Last Saturday's show timeshifted by 1.5m viewers!
    BBC1
    w/e 12 May 2013
    1 THE VOICE UK (SAT 2037) 8.86

Nice Try!

Your obsession with trying to boost Christine is beyond delusional.
    . Great to see it go out with still good ratings. Hope they keep Christine for the last series though Holly may want to come back if the Voice is axed.

You do realise that Dancing on Ice was coming third in it's slot! After Countryfile/Call the Midwife and Top Gear.
    . Great to see it go out with still good ratings. Hope they keep Christine for the last series though Holly may want to come back if the Voice is axed.

Daybreak, The National Movie awards, That Dog Can Dance, Dancing on Ice and numerous unaired ITV pilots. There seems to be a pattern emerging when it comes to Christine.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    A celebrity dancing show and Splash (celebrities diving).

Not more boring reality TV :yawn: Can't they replace it with some new sitcoms or dramas or something that isn't reality?
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Not more boring reality TV :yawn: Can't they replace it with some new sitcoms or dramas or something that isn't reality?

No one has written a decent sitcom, except Outnumbered, for years. No one can afford to produce any more decent drama when only 6 million will tune in. They can't show films because most people will now have seen them online if not at the cinema. The answer is cheaper reality TV with none of the talent or ability shown on the serious singing shows or DOI. SCD has dumbed down by reducing the importance of the actual dancing, Splash reached very low levels of achievement compared to the best of DOI. Popstar to Opera star was ultimately silly as people sang notes they couldn't hit to lyrics they and teh audience couldn't undertsand. The X factor long ago lost any interest in finding good singer, s and makes its money from selling One Direction/One vocalist, and Jedward to Tweens and Teens. The Voice has been a complete, if predictable, failure because its judges lack any credibility and its format is too artificial.

The problem for DOI is that its proved impossible to sustain writing a high standard or routines and its suffered from the fate of other shows that when you do show excellent routines. hilarious moments or good stories, its very difficult to top it next year.

Its not very realistic to assume though that DOI, SCD or the Apprentice will be repalced by anything better. All the evidence is that the alternative will be dumbed down, and much shorter lived..
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess most of the ones from the past will return if they are able too?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 tweets from Mark Henretty........
    Been coaching all day & only just catching up with the day's developments...

Sad DOI's coming to an end but how exciting to know it's going to be even better next year. I'm so lucky to have worked on such a gr8 show!

Do I take it from that that he and the other Pro's had no idea next year was to be the last series?
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I guess most of the ones from the past will return if they are able too?

I think past winners will be on the tour, see the other thread for more on that.

I would like to see past stars and former DOI pro skaters invited back to perform on the final series in a special guest slot, perhaps on the results show which has been really padded out these last few years. Seeing someone like Ray, Hayley or Suzanne do a special performance would give people a reason to actually watch it!
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    I think past winners will be on the tour, see the other thread for more on that.

I would like to see past stars and former DOI pro skaters invited back to perform on the final series in a special guest slot, perhaps on the results show which has been really padded out these last few years. Seeing someone like Ray, Hayley or Suzanne do a special performance would give people a reason to actually watch it!

T&D mentioned on This Morning that the former champions would be involved in some way but didn't go into more detail.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like Vicious or The Job Lot. :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote: »

The list is endless

Jason was one of the reasons I stopped watching originally, and the interminable and over numerous ad breaks.

The program ended up so slow it was incredibly boring, I watched just the skating elsewhere for the last few years, and if that hadn't been available I wouldn't have bothered with it at all.

I can't really comment too much on Christine, because I didn't see her very often, but when I did, it grated.

I think it just ground to a halt in the end, the producers and ITV forgot what made it exciting and why people used to watch.
  • Options
    willowswillows Posts: 6,169
    Forum Member
    Not surprised, and honestly can't say i will miss it now. The first few years were great but it has gradually gone downhill. Hopefully it will be a good last show though. Now, is it too much to ask to bring back Fred :D
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    willows wrote: »
    Not surprised, and honestly can't say i will miss it now. The first few years were great but it has gradually gone downhill. Hopefully it will be a good last show though. Now, is it too much to ask to bring back Fred :D

I too will be glad to see the back of it but rather less so than I would like to see the back of SCD, which is tedious now as especially as dear old Brucie is still on it.

Put it this way. If, as a punishment, I was forced to watch back to back DOI or SCD I would opt for DOI any day. At least I wouldn't have to suffer the Dave Arch band and the wailers.:rolleyes: