Goodbye Granada Studios

occyoccy Posts: 65,039
Forum Member
✭✭
Peter Kay bids fond farewell to Granada Studios in Manchester.

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The stars got all exciting about the building and Richard Madeley hated the look of it outside, whilst judy saying Oh...:D. He liked the inside of it.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving this! It's bringing back a lot of memories. Can't believe I'd forgotten about Scene at 6.30, which I watched every night as a kid.
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just posted a thread about this on Soaps as I thought it might appeal to Corrie fans as it's quite Corrie-heavy.

I was gobsmacked and gleeful at the story of Bill Tarmey and Laurence Olivier. Hadn't heard that story before! :D:D
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Oh my...those old faces on Crown Court
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Kay. Why, just why?
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long,drawn out and far too many ads....
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should of gotten someone who's worked there for ages. There longest running soap star, perhaps?
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bill Roache was unavailable for comment.
  • Dream_catcherDream_catcher Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Long,drawn out and far too many ads....

I was disappointed with this programme. I was expecting to see Peter Kay far more but there seemed a lot of talking and not much footage. It was really boring. I stuck with it for half and hour or so and changed channels.:(
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed with this programme. I was expecting to see Peter Kay far more but there seemed a lot of talking and not much footage. It was really boring. I stuck with it for half and hour or so and changed channels.:(

Stuck with it to the end but you didn't miss anything.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointing. I thought it would have been really interesting but it was just plain boring.:yawn:
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    It's quite sad really that i'd love nothing more in life to nosey around the Corrie prop department :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised at the negative reaction. I really enjoyed it.

Out of interest, what were you expecting if it wasn't what we saw tonight?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite sad really that i'd love nothing more in life to nosey around the Corrie prop department :o

You and me both!

I was genuinely shocked at how much stuff they keep hold of.

Fred Elliot's coffin ... why?!?! :D
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Scene At 6.30 we had ITV Granada TV here in Yorkshire up until 1968 then we got IMHO rubbish YTV not a patch on Granada, But tonight's history wasn't quite right ITV wasn't just Granada TV they were just part of the ITV network Granada was a main player yes, World In Action was very good as said so why was it dropped?? the news does not change & what about This Week?? dropped for lightweight shows of today & Stars In Their Eyes!! forget it enough said. ATV's Lew Grade couldn't stand Coronation Street in Fact ATV didn't like Granada TV at all Hmm that was no talked about still that's history now.
    Forum Member
    You and me both!

I was genuinely shocked at how much stuff they keep hold of.

Fred Elliot's coffin ... why?!?! :D

I couldn't believe how much stuff there was :eek:

I'm really enjoying this and I feel they've covered every area of programming that Granada made, Current affairs, Drama, Kids etc, although they missed out mentioning Sooty and co in the kids section. :D
    There were some programmes that I didn't realise were made by Granada and i'm Manchester born and bred. :o
    I loved going to the Granada studios tour when I was a kid and theres pictures of me between the ages of about 6 to 11 outside every Corrie house and business. :D
    I was gutted when they closed the tours to expand Victoria Street.

Those studios really will be missed in Manchester, it's so sad :(
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of tv that should be on itv 3. Jewel in the crown, bridesheads revistied, world in action, classic coronation street..... Do they repeat any of this. And if not, why not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    The end of Granada really came in 1993, with the shake up of all the ITV licences. ITV and Granada haven't made a decent programme since. This programme could have been made 20 years ago and still used the same clips.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    when's coronation street moving to its new set? I remember going to coronation street set tour and the theme park
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ToffeeGuy wrote: »
    The end of Granada really came in 1993, with the shake up of all the ITV licences. ITV and Granada haven't made a decent programme since. This programme could have been made 20 years ago and still used the same clips.

Is the opinion that you already had in mind as a typical dismissive one line that you get on here.

Half the clips were from after 1993. Stars in their Eyes, Prime Suspect was after 1993, World in Action went on until 1998. Corrie of course is still running as is University Challenge, Krypton Factor went into the 90s, This Morning was mostly after 1993, as was Mrs Merton etc etc
    Forum Member
    It's not everybody's favourite but The Jeremy Kyle Show was made at Granada and that was way, way after 1993. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Is the opinion that you already had in mind as a typical dismissive one line that you get on here.

Half the clips were from after 1993. Stars in their Eyes, Prime Suspect was after 1993, World in Action went on until 1998. Corrie of course is still running as is University Challenge, Krypton Factor went into the 90s, This Morning was mostly after 1993, as was Mrs Merton etc etc

The original and best Prime Suspect was broadcast in 1991. Cracker was the last great drama made by Granada which started just before the disastrous (for British broadcasting) ITV licence break-up. 'World in Action' died a slow death until being replaced by the popularist 'Tonight' which now seems to be mainly about Jonathan Maitland and his electricity bills.

This Morning was from Liverpool so was never from Quay St so I don't know why it was in this show. Mrs Merton and University Challenge were/are shown by BBC which proves the point about the decline of ITV since 1993.

I remember classic regional programmes from Granada almost every night of the week. 'Granada UpFront' on Friday nights.

The programme tonight was a goodbye to Granada, not Quay Street. The Granada name will remain in 'Granada Reports' and nothing else as it really has done for at least the last 10 years.
  • 6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    They should of gotten someone who's worked there for ages. There longest running soap star, perhaps?
    Did you notice Savile was edited out by zooming in on Sally Lindsay's face in Amarillo?

I found it interesting that they had Philip Lowrie talking about Day 1 on Corrie, drafted in to 'cover' for 'Boring Ken'.

I wonder if they'd already recorded a piece with BR prior to his 'problems'.

Also, was Stuart Hall originally due to appear? :confused:
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucky Philip Lowrie was able to 'cover' then, as the only other on screen survivor of Episode 1.

Seemed to be a lot of home video footage.

Thought Granada was good at keeping archives.

The Take That clip, I only recognised Michela Strachan when she was a talking head!