Briony McRoberts dead at 56.

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone who watched 'Take the High Road' will instantly recognise the actress, who played the role of the 'lady laird', Sam Hagan. In an apparent suicide, Ms McRoberts threw herself in front of a train, at the Fulham Broadway tube station, on Wednesday. It is so sad, that anyone feels that things have become so unbearably bad, that they need to do this. Obviously, she was troubled. Deep, deep sympathies to her husband, the Downton actor, David Robb and her family. So sad to lose someone so young.

Comments

• spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP , I saw this in the DM thought I recognised her from Take the high road , she has been in lots of other things as well :(

really feel for her family :(
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,207
    Forum Member
    She was in Pink Panther Strikes Again too I think.
    RIP
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Briony McRoberts, condolences to all family and friends, i remember Take The High Road :(
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Very sad, poor lady and her family that she has left behind. She was in Eastenders for a time.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible she was a great actress.

People need to understand how bad depression is it is not simply feeling down you loose the will to live and it's a constant battle to keep going every day. If you feel depressed you need to get help and support and not deal with it alone.

Rest in peace Briony I hope you are at peace now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Aww how sad..googled her and recognized her from other stuff she was in
  • CosmoSmallpieceCosmoSmallpiece Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    R.I.P. Beautiful Lady. x.
  • NatgarNatgar Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry she felt so bad but what a selfish way to go , the poor driver and witnesses.
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How sad and I hope the train driver is ok too
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Very sad, poor lady and her family that she has left behind. She was in Eastenders for a time.

Who was she in Eastenders?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    What a week to have lost so many great people
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news Briony was great as Ritch Bitch Sam Hagan in Take The High Road.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How sad, I feel for her family and all those affected on the train.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting help and counseling is ALWAYS better than suicide,

The poor woman. RIP x
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natgar wrote: »
    I'm sorry she felt so bad but what a selfish way to go , the poor driver and witnesses.

When people are very depressed and suicial they don't think rationally. It must have been awful for the driver though :(
  • harjamharjam Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    How awful!

Also reading up on this I noticed Lesley Fitz-Simmons who played Sheila Ramsey in Take The High Road died earlier this year from cancer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/lesley-fitzsimons-scottish-actress-known-for-her-role-in-take-the-high-road-8569200.html
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    People who are depressed think that the world would be better off without them. They feel that very deeply. Although they are probably aware that a suicide may traumatise people, they feel that it is better for the world to be without them.

It's a very complex emotion and cannot be described as selfish. In fact, it is more of a warped selfless emotion.

Why is this so hard to understand for people?
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    RIP Briony,

what an awful way to die - by the way throwing yourself under a train is not a foolproof way to die - there are people who survive terribly maimed - I believe this week there has been one such case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    RIP. Wasn't familiar with her work, but it's always sad when someone takes their own life.
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    Who was she in Eastenders?

I'm glad you asked this, because I have been wondering this myself. All(or most) the stories have in their headline 'Eastenders star', but none of them say who she played and when she was in it :confused: 'Take The High Road star' or 'Accomplished actress' would be more appropriate, I think.

Edit: Her Eastenders appearances aren't even listed on her IMDB page, which reinforces the last sentence of my above paragraph.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0574517/
  • MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Awww no that is just awful, She was great as Sam Hagan in Take The High Road RIP Briony McRoberts :(
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP. Wasn't familiar with her work, but it's always sad when someone takes their own life.

I'm glad you asked this, because I have been wondering this myself. All(or most) the stories have in their headline 'Eastenders star', but none of them say who she played and when she was in it :confused: 'Take The High Road star' or 'Accomplished actress' would be more appropriate, I think.

Edit: Her Eastenders appearances aren't even listed on her IMDB page, which reinforces the last sentence of my above paragraph.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0574517/

She was Janene's councillor in 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YKA4lcEl_A
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    She was Janene's councillor in 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YKA4lcEl_A

I see, thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    harjam wrote: »
    How awful!

Also reading up on this I noticed Lesley Fitz-Simmons who played Sheila Ramsey in Take The High Road died earlier this year from cancer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/lesley-fitzsimons-scottish-actress-known-for-her-role-in-take-the-high-road-8569200.html

So sad, I remember them both. Cancer and depression both awful illnesses.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shocked, just seen this! Remember her well in High Road.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    I've looked at this thread a few times, wanting to pay my respects but each time I couldn't find the words, it so desperately sad,
    I hope you're now at peace Briony