Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    FB1969 wrote: »
    Get back to Grace Brothers.

Ooh that's right! I preferred Mr Lewis!! (Think that was his name, anyhow!!)
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    2 weeks always felt far too short for both those chart toppers. But in 1980 songs were having shorter runs at No1 for just that year oddly.

Compare the sheer brilliance of the two August 1980 hits at No1 from Abba and David Bowie, against the two songs that made No1 exactly ten years later in August 1990 from a bunch of Ninja Turtles and Timmy Mallett. Feel free to weep. :cry:

:o What a difference a decade makes! And some claim music didn't decline in late 80's! ;-)
    Thanks for the tennis spoiler you sods on here! Watched Nadal lose the first set and felt confident he'd come back. Unfortunately I entirely forgot to come back myself and finish watching it. :(

:blush: Guilty as charged. Sorry RT! Was in shock about it and got carried away. Now expect Brown to lose in straight sets in the next round!
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    As was Elton last week! There must be something written into their contracts!! ;-)

I think they were both trying to be cool and failed miserably. Next weeks co-presenter isn't really capable of being cool whatever the situation so I don't think we'll witness that problem arising again though. ;-)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Don't look so miserable, Rog. You'll be headlining Glastonbury in 35 years.
    The modern equivalent would be akin to Coldplay's Chris Martin being told today that he will be playing Glastonbury on the weekend of Friday 24th - Sunday 26th June 2050. :o
  • Options
    Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roger Daltrey going on about The Clash was a bit like me back in March when Charli XCX had her concert in Brighton and it was clashed with my residiantal (Which I didn't go at the end beacause I did not feel well on the night before I departed for the Residiantal).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's assuming next week's guest host has not been arrested for these allegations that have hung around him lately!

:D:D - Good grief - it's not Cliff is it?
    What is it about TOTP & its never ending list of suspects?!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »

I think they were both trying to be cool and failed miserably. Next weeks co-presenter isn't really capable of being cool whatever the situation so I don't think we'll witness that problem arising again though. ;-)

Yes - if it's Cliff - he'll be guilty of being too nice instead!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Compare the sheer brilliance of the two August 1980 hits at No1 from Abba and David Bowie, against the two songs that made No1 exactly ten years later in August 1990 from a bunch of Ninja Turtles and Timmy Mallett. Feel free to weep. :cry:

Yikes!! :o

I'm so glad I was a child of the 80s & not the 90s!! :blush: I certainly wouldn'tve been asking for either of those singles for my birthday!! :p
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    I expect Daltrey thought it was "cool" to act all "moody" >:(

Perhaps Roger had just come off the set of 'McVicar' after a long, hard day's filming and was still "in character" ?
    SgtRock wrote: »
    I wonder if "Straker" will be around posting for next week's show?...

"Straker" will be opening next week's show, let alone posting on Digital Spy about it.... ;-)
  • Options
    TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh that's right! I preferred Mr Lewis!! (Think that was his name, anyhow!!)

Mr Lucas! He was the funnier of the two juniors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    Mr Lucas! He was the funnier of the two juniors.

Oh yes - I knew it started with an L!! :)
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Now, it's one thing to edit for time and then repeat the show in full later but another to edit for content and not say so. That's the case with Roger's comments. I always think that if a programme has been edited since its original broadcast - for whatever reason - it should be mentioned at the start either by the announcer or with a caption/symbol. Like the P sign you get to denote product placement. An E in a circle or something just so the viewer knows.

This Mike Berry song is awful. Just truly awful

I saw him in pantomime when I was very young in the 1980s. I think it was Tom Thumb. I remember absolutely nothing of the show itself apart from crumpling onto the floor in a heap after not realising the seats flip back when you stand up.
    wuffles wrote: »
    What year was Pull Up to the Bumper out? That's my favourite Grace Jones song.

Always amuses me when people think it's a song about driving a car.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o What a difference a decade makes! And some claim music didn't decline in late 80's! ;-)

:blush: Guilty as charged. Sorry RT! Was in shock about it and got carried away. Now expect Brown to lose in straight sets in the next round!

Anyone who compares 1990 favourably against 1980 is tone deaf.

No worries. I sat watching the first set of that match as I ate dinner and for about the first 5 games I thought Nadal was playing Gael Monfils the Frenchman, not this Dustin Brown character! :blush:

Overly trying to be cool like Roger was doing tonight is infact incredibly uncool and shows through so easily. I disagree with you about Cliff. He is naturally a cool guy, and in 1980 was very much cool again, one of his coolest periods. Tom Jones is considered a really cool guy nowadays. In 1980 he was thought of as utterly naff and a has been at just 40, the same age as Cliff.
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Are the shows reduced to 30 minutes regularly from now on?
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't Roger Daltry a bit old in 1980 to be a stroppy teenager?:D

Abba, IMHO, second only to the Beatles in creating absolutely perfect pop music.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »

You can explore 1980 BBC1 schedules here....

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/years/1980

but "next week's episode" is 40 minutes (cut to 30 at 7.30 by BBC4 of course).
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Jedikiah wrote: »

It's not until February 1985.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw him in pantomime when I was very young in the 1980s. I think it was Tom Thumb. I remember absolutely nothing of the show itself apart from crumpling onto the floor in a heap after not realising the seats flip back when you stand up.

:D That caught me out too once or twice in the past. :o ;-)
    Anyone who compares 1990 favourably against 1980 is tone deaf.

No worries. I sat watching the first set of that match as I ate dinner and for about the first 5 games I thought Nadal was playing Gael Monfils the Frenchman, not this Dustin Brown character! :blush:

Overly trying to be cool like Roger was doing tonight is infact incredibly uncool and shows through so easily. I disagree with you about Cliff. He is naturally a cool guy, and in 1980 was very much cool again, one of his coolest periods. Tom Jones is considered a really cool guy nowadays. In 1980 he was thought of as utterly naff and a has been at just 40, the same age as Cliff.

Yeah, agreed. I was a bit harsh on Cliff and took a bit of a cheap swipe earlier. He's alright and I wouldn't have 28 of his songs on the ipod if I really thought otherwise. :)
    iaindb wrote: »
    Wasn't Roger Daltry a bit old in 1980 to be a stroppy teenager?:D

Abba, IMHO, second only to the Beatles in creating absolutely perfect pop music.

:D Very apt summing up of his 'contribution' to tonight's show.
  • Options
    Peter_GazzardPeter_Gazzard Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    proud to admit I have Sunshine Of Your Smile and its follow up If I Could Only Make You Care on single
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not until February 1985.

To make room for Eastenders.

Huh, the following year or so, Rolfs Cartoon Time was taken off and replaced by Neighbours. I liked his choice of cartoons, it lightened the mood just before the news.

BBC and their soaps, they should have left that muck to the commercial TV channels
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great song from Ultravox!
    Ashes to Ashes is an absolute classic. Great video too

Common link here is Steve Strange who also appeared in the TV show Ashes to Ashes first series I think? I have the DVD collection.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now, it's one thing to edit for time and then repeat the show in full later but another to edit for content and not say so. That's the case with Roger's comments. I always think that if a programme has been edited since its original broadcast - for whatever reason - it should be mentioned at the start either by the announcer or with a caption/symbol. Like the P sign you get to denote product placement. An E in a circle or something just so the viewer knows.

A bit OTT! They cut 3 words out of a show first shown 35 years ago and they should tell the viewers this?! What were they supposed to say: "Next on BBC 4 is Top of the Pops from August 1980, the three words "mind your backs" have been deleted from the show in case anyone finds them offensive".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Mike Berry would comfortably win worst song of the show but this Sue Wilkinson song is neck and neck with it

That honour went to Grace Jones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    Upside Down on the wrong speed?

Yes, definitely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well - a great show tonight - a bit of everything - I couldn't post before as I was glued to the set !!
    They DID cut out Roger's comment after all!! Maybe someone read our earlier comments and reported back to the BBC! :(
    Loved Bowie's video - got that single for my 11th birthday on the strength of the video!
    Loved Grace Jones too! - Smoking away I see!!

8 out of 10!! :)

Except she never put the cigarette to her mouth! Surprised she didn't burn her fingers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There may have been a slight decline in 1987/8, but 1989 is up there with the best of them.
This discussion has been closed.