Have you ever grown anything

suffolktoonsuffolktoon Posts: 1,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I grew a pomegranate bush as part of a charity thing once. I didn't win as the gardening experts were feeding theirs and making sure they were getting best sunlight in the office. I did successfully plant it in my garden and it continued to grow.

I bought a tomato plant for a quid from Tesco in June. I planted it in a huge pot and placed it out the front of the house in a real sun trap. I must have had over 100 tomatoes off it by now, slightly bigger than cherry size.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a greenhouse and planting earlier and trying other veg

Comments

• malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potatoes are very good to grow. You can stick them in a bag of compost in your back garden.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe you should try growing some other veg before buying a greenhouse cos thats quite an expensive thing to buy, a lot of veg you can grow quite easily without one. i have grown potatoes, tomatoes, carrots and beans this year
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I've grown 2 kids and a lot of cats.
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew a lump on my elbow recently. But it went away.

Oh, and hair of course. Not coarse hair though, you understand. It's quite soft actualy.

And a Begonia. From a cutting of a single leaf. I was very proud of it as it made a flower.

That's it.

Apart from weary. I've grown that many times. As no doubt is anybody reading my post. See, I've helped everybody grow something. *pats self on back* Ah me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    grown lettuce without a greenhouse as well :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, tomatoes. 2 mini apple trees still establishing, and a honeyberry doing likewise.

I will be trying some veg from seed next year.

There's a huge thread with people's growing tips etc. here:-

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=992015
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not grown anything, but would certainly like to turn over part of my garden to growing vegetables.

Just need more time. If I was retired, I definitely would.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    I've grown 2 kids and a lot of cats.

You beat me to it! :D
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, taller.
  • Lego PigLego Pig Posts: 2,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew my fingernails to about 3/4 of an inch from the tip of my finger once. Got annoying in the end so cut them off.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chillis are easy to grow and you get more chillis than you know what to do with.
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids, teeth, hair, nails, grass, (not that sort) plants. I grew too much of the latter in the garden this year and so to say my garden looks very overgrown is an understatement.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of weeds :(
  • RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pumpkins. Start them in April. Plant them out in June and leave them alone until October. Take up a lot of room but are very easy to grow.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Onions, parsnips, carrotts, potatoes, turnip, cabbage, leeks, tomatoes, strawberries..........and lots of weeds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bought some pansies in March, although they were not grown from seed by me but I got them in the ground and they went absolutely wild. there wasn't a patch of soil to be seen it was just pansies and leaves!

I have dug them up now as they died off (they lasted right through summer even though they were spring/winter flowering ones) I had to dig them up because it was a big messy carpet of brown with the odd pansy flower!

I will buy some more next year as they were cheap enough from Wyevale.

planted some Gladioli bulbs, they come up and flowered but the Freesia I bought didn't come up at all, I hope they do next year!

Just harvested some sweet pea seeds, we got an envelope full, will try and grow them next year :)
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember growing some cress at Primary School.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have 'grown' a chicken from egg to adulthood.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I grow fatter and more grumpy every day!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    i have 'grown' a chicken from egg to adulthood.

Really? What a lovely thing to do. Have you still got the chicken?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was gong to be a naughty thread. :D

About thirty years ago my mother went to a fete and bought a plant from a stall. She proudly put it nicely on the hall table. My brother at the time was a policeman and told her that they had to destroy it as it was definately a cannibis plant!
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A full on robo chubby
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grew a lemon tree from a pip.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grow my own tobacco. It's very easy to grow, in fact it used to be grown commercially in Britain. Any other nicotine addicts out there, have a go, it's great fun. And perfectly legal - as long as you aren't caught selling it.
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Several years ago some promotional stuff from Guiness came in the post including a packet of Guiness tree seeds. Haha we thought but I put them in a pot and this green thing started growing! It was like a christmas tree branch and in the end we put it in the garden and it is now about two feet high and looking like a sturdy little fir tree/bush.