Options

New iPhone Announched?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I found the following article regarding the new iPhone '4G' but I didn't know that it was confirmed.

http://www.u.tv/Business/The-new-iPhone-is-coming-But-its-the-old-one-that-rivals-should-fear/7df27c66-83eb-4fc8-b4e4-896e357e7d42

They have the press release tomorrow don't they in SF? So I take it iPhone 4th generation will be announced?

Comments Please! :D!

Comments

• Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has *not* been confirmed.

It is extremely likely though, given Apple previously saying the iPhone has an annual product cycle, given when Apple announced & released each previous iPhone, and given the recent leaks & the "lost/stolen/sold iPhone prototype scandal".
  • Options
    boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well,that's just dropped the price of my old 3G again.............
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can tell you now, most of that report is right.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can tell you now, most of that report is right.

Thanks for confirming that Mr Jobs :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    Thanks for confirming that Mr Jobs :rolleyes:

;););););)
  • Options
    Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking to take the plunge into the iPhone world when I upgrade at the back end of the year.

I'm on a £35 a month contract now, what would I look to pay to get the iPhone...or would it be available for free? I doubt it given that they are about £500 PAYG but with more networks taking it on...is it drivin the price down?
  • Options
    pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating quote from that article:
    [the Chinese factory where a number of suicides have taken place recently] are trying to solve the problem by hiring counsellors, playing soothing music on production lines, increasing wages and asking new recruits to sign a '"no-suicide" contract.
    How the f**k do you enforce that!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered that too! :D
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on a £35 a month contract now, what would I look to pay to get the iPhone...or would it be available for free? I doubt it given that they are about £500 PAYG but with more networks taking it on...is it drivin the price down?

Well wait until next week because if the 3GS price drops it might be a good time to get one.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wondered that too! :D

Instant dismisal? In the UK in non-enlightend times, people who made failed suicide attempts were sent to prison.

There's lots of dumb procedures around. If a police officer is jailed, their police force convenes a disciplinary hearing to sack them. What a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've held off buying a new phone for a number of months now (this is the first time i'm buying a phone that is cutting edge, pretty big moment for me!), and i'm wondering if anyone knows how long after the announcement it is that they release it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody truly knows until Apple announce it tomorrow.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've held off buying a new phone for a number of months now (this is the first time i'm buying a phone that is cutting edge, pretty big moment for me!), and i'm wondering if anyone knows how long after the announcement it is that they release it.

Well...

The 3GS was announced on the 8th June last year, & released on the 19th June.

The 3G was announced on the 9th June 2008, & released on the 11th July 2008.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waffles wrote: »
    Nobody truly knows until Apple announce it tomorrow.

Erm, some of us do, Apple do let the networks and retail units know what their dates are.
  • Options
    AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm, some of us do, Apple do let the networks and retail units know what their dates are.

Erm, ....tell us then? O2 don't know (unless they're feeding me BS)
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As the 3G & 3GS are out on the majority of networks, will the 4G be out on all networks or will some networks try for an exclusive ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appleseed wrote: »
    Erm, ....tell us then? O2 don't know (unless they're feeding me BS)

Obviously O2 are under strict orders not to release info before tomorrow evening. Plus workers for the various networks will have undoubtedly signed an NDA or it'll be written into their contracts not to release info until they are allowed to. Nobody wants to get fired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well wait until next week because if the 3GS price drops it might be a good time to get one.

I meant the 4G...when you pay a contract phone how much are you looking at paying for a NEW model of an iPhone using the 3G and 3GS in the first 6 months?

Just looking for a vage basis to go on because I can't justify paying hundreds but I do wnat the new one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrKev wrote: »
    Obviously O2 are under strict orders not to release info before tomorrow evening. Plus workers for the various networks will have undoubtedly signed an NDA or it'll be written into their contracts not to release info until they are allowed to. Nobody wants to get fired.

This...

But the report in the op is a good guide
  • Options
    Mrs Cee JayMrs Cee Jay Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Sun, the IPhone OS4 to be unveiled by Steve Jobs in SF today.
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the new iPhone is expected to be confirmed by Steve Jobs this evening about six BST. There is loads of tech websites that will be covering the event, which is called WWDC2010. Just Google it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I am sure the new iPhone will be a very good device I will be more than happy keeping my 32gb 3GS, the only things the '4G' are rumored to offer is multiple exchange accounts and multi tasking, both of which the 3GS will get with the new software update so happy times!

I can't imagine apple making an 8gb 3GS, it would make more sense to have the current 16gb model become the base model.

This said, until we have officially seen the new iphone and its new software running it is very hard to say what to expect. I really hope apple have a few suprises lined up for this one... widgets maybe? bluetooth file sharing?! I don't want to jailbreak my phone to get these features.
  • Options
    denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating quote from that article:

How the f**k do you enforce that!?

One of the reasons they are commiting suicide is because their families get a payout equivalent to something like a years wages if they die in the workplace. The policy in place obviously never stated suicide would not be excluded from cause of death and so they kill themselves to help their families out of poverty.

By signing the "no suicide agreement" they are effectively agreeing that if they kill themselves their families get nothing, therefore, rendering the act pointless (apart from those who would kill themselves no matter what).

It's kind of been blown a bit out of proportion. I wonder how many employees working for the local government kill themselves (biggest overall employer I could think of), I bet it's a higher ratio than at Foxconn.

Anyway, big "wahoo!!!", today is finally the day we get official confirmation on what the iphone 4 is really going to feature and be called. I hope Apple managed to keep a few secrets to be revealed today, it would be a shame if we really did already know everything there was to know.

I will be happy with 64gb of memory and the flash on the back looks a certainty. I'm not so bothered about the flash for photos, more so for using as a light/torch as I still use that feature on my SEW850i every day. Everything else new and cool is a bonus to me as this will be my first iphone.
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denzil28 wrote: »
    One of the reasons they are commiting suicide is because their families get a payout equivalent to something like a years wages if they die in the workplace. The policy in place obviously never stated suicide would not be excluded from cause of death and so they kill themselves to help their families out of poverty.

By signing the "no suicide agreement" they are effectively agreeing that if they kill themselves their families get nothing, therefore, rendering the act pointless (apart from those who would kill themselves no matter what).

It's kind of been blown a bit out of proportion. I wonder how many employees working for the local government kill themselves (biggest overall employer I could think of), I bet it's a higher ratio than at Foxconn.

Anyway, big "wahoo!!!", today is finally the day we get official confirmation on what the iphone 4 is really going to feature and be called. I hope Apple managed to keep a few secrets to be revealed today, it would be a shame if we really did already know everything there was to know.

I will be happy with 64gb of memory and the flash on the back looks a certainty. I'm not so bothered about the flash for photos, more so for using as a light/torch as I still use that feature on my SEW850i every day. Everything else new and cool is a bonus to me as this will be my first iphone.

Yes must be a wonderfull place if you would rather commit suicide to provide for your family than stay working there!! I don't think 8 suicides in a work place is "blown out of proportion" its a very sad state of affairs!

but hey the new iphone is coming out so why worry!!
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denzil28 wrote: »

You're taking the right attitude on the flash - it'll be useless for stills (and will cause red eye), and its main use will be as a light/torch.

It'll be interesting to see if they do bring out anything truly "new", as so far everything they've done has been a gradual evolution.