Eddie Stobart Channel 5

David McMahonDavid McMahon Posts: 652
Forum Member
✭✭
Just seen what (prollly) my Dad has recorded!

I enjoyed this program, and these sort because they are not just more of the same and follow real people doing real jobs, very intresting I think!

Series linked now :D

So what do the good people of DS think of it?

Comments

• Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Errm Dull pretty much sums it up.
    Big old advert for Eddie Stobart's, but I suppose that's to be expected if you focus on one company.
    Some interesting facts and figures about the business though.

Oh Tanker driver on his first day on his own has to divert to another depot.
    Will Tanker driver pull it off and successfully divert to another depot?
    Errm yes he diverts to different depot, excitement over. :yawn:
    I'll watch it next week to have a look at the women trucker, but I suspect that's not
    going to keep me watching for long.
    Maybe they'll look at the back office stuff of organising a big logistics operation.
    Oh pay is cack too £8 per hour.

I'd actually be more interested in the business side of it, how have they got so big and made a profit and different sides of the haulage business they're involved in, the inland port, freight trains, etc.
  • David McMahonDavid McMahon Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did talk about the inland port(s?) and trains etc.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big old advert for Eddie Stobart's, but I suppose that's to be expected if you focus on one company.

I'll watch it next week to have a look at the women trucker, but I suspect that's not
    Maybe they'll look at the back office stuff of organising a big logistics operation.

I'd actually be more interested in the business side of it, how have they got so big and made a profit and different sides of the haulage business they're involved in, the inland port, freight trains, etc.

They did talk about that and basically said that after Eddie sold out to his brother business boomed because his brother brought in all sorts of new ideas (implying that Eddie didn't !) I think it looks promising.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could have been interesting without all the hype. The long saga about the tanker driver had me laughing.
    Hang on! How many fuel tankers are there on the road? When was the last time there was a serious accident ( I mean explosion) involving a fuel tanker in this country?

Digressing..

At one time permanant tanker drivers employed by the major fuel companies earned "big money" with excellent pensions, this no longer happens with new employees.

Many who now drive these vehicles are paid the average wage quoted by one of Stobart's drivers around £8 an hour.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At one time permanant tanker drivers employed by the major fuel companies earned "big money" with excellent pensions, this no longer happens with new employees.

Many who now drive these vehicles are paid the average wage quoted by one of Stobart's drivers around £8 an hour.

Don't forget that he is technically driving a bomb and his job is really really important, so important that other drivers from the same company queue jump him at the fuel line :D

One major income for Stobart? They have the Tesco contract!
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying it so far
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet that's one of the "great new ideas" that the younger Stobart with the daft hair and OCD about cups/glasses/chairs brought in.
    I agree about the formulaic Tanker divertion crisis! It was hardly Deadliest Catch.
    I thought the Eddie Spotters at the depot were funny though.
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    I like shows like this.

I enjoyed it.
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    They did talk about that and basically said that after Eddie sold out to his brother business boomed because his brother brought in all sorts of new ideas (implying that Eddie didn't !) I think it looks promising.

Yes, I watched the program, but as I said I'd be more interested in the business side of it.
    Think more Dragons Den, rather than what we got.
    Is it all self financed or is the company in hock to the Banks for millions, etc, etc.
    What exactly are these new ideas and processes.
    It could have been interesting without all the hype. The long saga about the tanker driver had me laughing.
    Hang on! How many fuel tankers are there on the road? When was the last time there was a serious accident ( I mean explosion) involving a fuel tanker in this country?

Digressing..

Things don't fall off cranes and kill people very often either a fair bit of that is proper planning there's also a fair bit of luck too.
    The guys know the risks and try to minimise them, that's probably why explosions don't happen.
    Spills happen all the time, I don't know if that's off tankers though.

I too think they over-egged the bomb thing, diesel is a bugger to burn, but it makes an awful mess of the road surface.
    If you spill enough it sometimes requires the whole road surface to be milled up and re-laid.
    They had to shut the Blackwall tunnel and re-lay a large section for such a spill in the last couple of months.
    Petrol, pressurised bulk powder tankers, possible dust fires, gases and other hazardous chemicals about on the roads that are more dangerous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I watched the program, but as I said I'd be more interested in the business side of it.
    Think more Dragons Den, rather than what we got.
    Is it all self financed or is the company in hock to the Banks for millions, etc, etc.
    What exactly are these new ideas and processes.

Things don't fall off cranes and kill people very often either a fair bit of that is proper planning there's also a fair bit of luck too.
    The guys know the risks and try to minimise them, that's probably why explosions don't happen.
    Spills happen all the time, I don't know if that's off tankers though.

I too think they over-egged the bomb thing, diesel is a bugger to burn, but it makes an awful mess of the road surface.
    If you spill enough it sometimes requires the whole road surface to be milled up and re-laid.
    They had to shut the Blackwall tunnel and re-lay a large section for such a spill in the last couple of months.
    Petrol, pressurised bulk powder tankers, possible dust fires, gases and other hazardous chemicals about on the roads that are more dangerous.

It's not uncommon to get a small spill on a petrol station forecourt. But any fuel and rain runs off into interceptor tanks, simply put, they have drains at the bottom so only the water goes from them into the main drain, the fuel being lighter, floats on the top and mostly evaporates.

There are all sorts of safeguards regarding petrol, even "the girl in the petrol station shop" should have a "petrol competence" certificate. The biggest risk is trying to put more fuel into a tank than for which there's ullage, or the wrong type of fuel in a holding tank. That really causes problems!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On holiday a few years ago in Yorkshire we went on the Settle to Carlisle railway and whilst we were in Carlisle I was amazed to see that there is actually an "Eddie Stobart" shop. Apparently you can shop on line too. There must be a pretty big fan club out there for those to keep going.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On holiday a few years ago in Yorkshire we went on the Settle to Carlisle railway and whilst we were in Carlisle I was amazed to see that there is actually an "Eddie Stobart" shop. Apparently you can shop on line too. There must be a pretty big fan club out there for those to keep going.

There's also an Eddie Stobart Club you can join for £15. Wonder if they will tell us about Eddie's private life - married, divorced, married a second time, divorced,re-married his first wife, now living a life of luxury in Barbados having been bought out by his brother - would make a series in itself:D
  • silver mistresssilver mistress Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    I think Eddie Stobarts a creep. One of those "working class heroes" who sells out as soon as the pounds start rolling in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a teaser from my telly mag about the next episode.

"A driver takes on a delicate load of cream cakes, but after contending with many roundabouts, she is unsure if the cargo will have survived intact."

I can hardly wait!

So I won't.
  • gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tesco's own stobarts now i believe. Not watched it but can't see anybodu mentioning it.
    Forum Member
    Here's a teaser from my telly mag about the next episode.

"A driver takes on a delicate load of cream cakes, but after contending with many roundabouts, she is unsure if the cargo will have survived intact."

I can hardly wait!

So I won't.

F'me talk about forgone conclusion.
    Short of turning the bugger over that's going to be as interesting as our Tanker driver diverting to another depot.

Cream cakes seem to get Greggs and the like without problems.
    Have these people ever been in the back of a wagon going down the road, it's a very bouncy and uncomfortable experience.
    Cream cakes aren't exactly a live load like liquids or powders that are going to shift around in the tankers either.

Oh I'd have been interested in a program dealing with prime movers and unusual loads, might see some real problem solving.
    Unipowers, Tractomas and the like, but I suppose you've got to have your household names and 'characters' although none of the characters in this are doing anything for me.

Is there a thread for Gears and Tears, I haven't found it yet.
    Forum Member
    tesco's own stobarts now i believe. Not watched it but can't see anybodu mentioning it.

Apparently not, according to this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

During the programme it mentioned that Eddie was bought out by William Stobart (Eddie's son) and Andrew Tinkler. Stobart's have a contract to delived Tesco products.
    They have also teamed up with Tescos to promote road safety
    The first programme seemed to be background introduction to the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    If they have, I volunteer to bounce up and down on them all and lick the cream oozing out the sides...
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Don't forget that he is technically driving a bomb and his job is really really important, so important that other drivers from the same company queue jump him at the fuel line :D

One major income for Stobart? They have the Tesco contract!

they have a few big names using themi believe?

Nestle and Coca Cola use them
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £8 an hour is criminal.
  • David McMahonDavid McMahon Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    £8 an hour is criminal.

Yeah! Get some foreign workers in, £2 an hour!
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Eddie Stobarts a creep. One of those "working class heroes" who sells out as soon as the pounds start rolling in.

Have you met him?

What an absurd comment.
    Forum Member
    Just remembered this thread.
    I assume part 2 was even less interesting than part 1 then due to the deluge of posts.
    I found something better to watch.

What's the maximum working hours per week or fortnight on a Class1 these days, trying to work out what the wages are on this caper.
    I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of the workforce aren't 'proper' employees either, hired through an agency, nothing like a 'flexible workforce' work today, tin tack tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    There's also an Eddie Stobart Club you can join for £15. Wonder if they will tell us about Eddie's private life - married, divorced, married a second time, divorced,re-married his first wife, now living a life of luxury in Barbados having been bought out by his brother - would make a series in itself:D

That's actually Edward Stobart, son of the original "Steady" Eddie Stobart.

Other than the nickname and the fact he set up the company in the 50s as an agricultural haulage company in Cumbria I can't find much information about him.