Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch

Comments

• hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been thinking about getting this game for a while now. I love JRPGs and it would be good to have something to tie me over until Tales of Xilia arrives :D

I'm curious though - is the game more for younger players? The graphic style obviously looks like a cartoon but what about the story? Can it be enjoyed by people in the 20's/30's?

Hi,

I've just completed the main story and only have a few bits and bobs to do now. I'm just over 100 hours in, although to be fair I spent ages grinding to level up my familiars and doing all of the side quests. I've read it can be done in 65 hours if you ignore all side quests.

I'm 25 and I loved it! I've never played a JRPG properly and only bought it for my love of Ghibli. The story is well written - the wit and humour is done well with Drippy but there are quite sad moments too. The cut scenes when they are done are like watching a ghibli film! I wanted to know what happened and I never got bored of it.

At first travelling seems a bit tiresome but that soon clears with the travel spell and then flying with the dragon.

There are loads of items to collect and getting the treasure chests can take a fair bit of time.

The scenery is so brilliantly animated. So much detail has been put into it.

The battling can get repetitive but I didn't mind it. I love Pokemon, and the Ni No Kuni battles are exactly what I wish Pokemon could be. Live action. The battles on the go tend to be a bit x punching but the bosses do require strategy.

So if you like Pokemon / Zelda / JPRG I highly recommend it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    R
    I'd much rather (and perhaps there is towards the end) that there was an item/magic that when used almost guaranteed a capture

You can trade your merit cards in for a badge that increases caputure rates towards the end :)
  • Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Have you played dragon quest series? Its a bit like them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to spend a good 50 hours on this game and i enjoyed it. It was very beautiful and charming which is a rarity.

Only gripe was the battle system had issues but it was still enjoyable enough.

And i think you could obtain a stamp ability that increased the capture rate.
    hsellors wrote: »
    You can trade your merit cards in for a badge that increases caputure rates towards the end :)

Thank you both for the info, it was starting to get quite annoying as some Side Quests required capturing a certain Familiar (i forget the name of it, its the one in the desert that looks like for like of a better description a bunch of bananas) Buncher?

But i'll just leave any i can't do till i get that merit reward
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you played dragon quest series? Its a bit like them.

Dragon quest 8 is one if my favourite RPGs of all time. If this is even half as good then ill have to pick it up :)
    Forum Member
    Dragon quest 8 is one if my favourite RPGs of all time. If this is even half as good then ill have to pick it up :)

It has a lot in common with it. You will probably like it.

Reminds me I have yet to beat DQVIII. One day.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this Dragon quest VIII everyone keeps mentioning on the PSN? i might look into it as people are saying it's like Ni No
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this Dragon quest VIII everyone keeps mentioning on the PSN? i might look into it as people are saying it's like Ni No

The battles are more old school than ni no (based on what I understand from reviews of ni no) as they're random and completely turn-based.

The thing I like about dq8 is the challenge - the main quest is huge and even regular enemies can pose a serious threat. You can only save on towns as well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The battles are more old school than ni no (based on what I understand from reviews of ni no) as they're random and completely turn-based.

The thing I like about dq8 is the challenge - the main quest is huge and even regular enemies can pose a serious threat. You can only save on towns as well!

everything except the only save in Towns has me sold on this game

Not sure whether to watch the first few parts on youtube or just buy it from Cex or somewhere cause it'll probablt be dirt cheap by now

Also back on the subject of Ni No Kuni, can anyone tell me about how far into the game, i'm upto
    The part in Hamelin where you somehow get set back in time and you need to search the tombstone trail for a spell
    just wondering whether i'm near halfway or even near the end perhaps
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also back on the subject of Ni No Kuni, can anyone tell me about how far into the game, i'm upto
    The part in Hamelin where you somehow get set back in time and you need to search the tombstone trail for a spell
    just wondering whether i'm near halfway or even near the end perhaps

About half way through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That part of the game seems ages away now but I think that's because it's got such a good story line.

For the babana capturing familiar quest I'd just be persistent I achieved the familiar capture badge post game, so you'll be waiting a while!

I've got to complete the last missions in order to get the Wizard badge enabling the gold trophy. But one is fetching extremely rare ingredients and someone online said it took them 10 hours to complete! I'll do it because I've come so far, looks like il be staying in on Saturday night!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    everything except the only save in Towns has me sold on this game

Not sure whether to watch the first few parts on youtube or just buy it from Cex or somewhere cause it'll probablt be dirt cheap by now

It will definately be cheap, wherever you get it. I can't recommend it enough.

The saving system is interesting - if you die you go back to the church you saved in but your inventory is the same as it was when you died. You keep all of the items and experience points you gained since your last saved (although if you used up a lot of items on the way you won't have those either). The sticking point is that you lose HALF YOUR GOLD which is a big issue, especially since equipment in this game is bloody expensive an monsters don't drop that much money. The alternative is to restart the PS2 when you die and try again from your last original save.

Again, if your looking for a genuine challenge this is the game for you. It took me about 80 hours to complete on my first playthrough with a moderate amount of sidequesting, which isn't bad considering the price you'd pay for the game now :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has a lot in common with it. You will probably like it.

Reminds me I have yet to beat DQVIII. One day.....

Thanks - i'll probably pick it up soon.

I would definately recommend finishing DQVIII. The ending is nicely done and it even opens a brand new area with some amazing equipment and a challenging extra dungeon. it also provides a backtory on the hero and unlocks a different ending if you beat the game again.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wish i could play this but i refuse until i complete mass effect 2
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scratch that,just realised its ps3 exclusive :(
    Forum Member
    Thanks - i'll probably pick it up soon.

I would definately recommend finishing DQVIII. The ending is nicely done and it even opens a brand new area with some amazing equipment and a challenging extra dungeon. it also provides a backtory on the hero and unlocks a different ending if you beat the game again.

I think something else distracted me at the time but i got very far. Far enough to appreciate the game.

Its on my to do list. DQIV, VI & IX as well. :o
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really cheap in the PS Store right now, beautiful looking game.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really cheap in the PS Store right now, beautiful looking game.

Yeah, I got it last week. Took 15 hours to download and install, lol!
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think i could say its my favourite game ever.Absolutely loved it. Wonderful from start to finish
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really worth getting. One of the most beautiful games I've ever played. The story is fantastic too! I really hope that there will be a 2nd one for the PS4 sometime.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has so much charm. I think i played most of the game with a big smile on my face. There better be a second one...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just rebought this from the PS Store, less than £6 to play this masterpiece again

I did buy it near launch but then sold it once i was done so i could make some money back, i always intended to buy a hard copy again when the price got low enough, but when i seen this price i just decided to jump at it

I fully intend to go for the platinum this time, doing as many side quests and collecting as many familiars as possible as i go

I just hope there isn't anything to annoying in the side stuff, because as it stands after my first playthrough there is nothing i dislike about this game

I didn't realize the download would be so big either, two files totalling about 21-22GB, i've had to delete a bunch of games to install it
    Forum Member
    This is indeed a beautiful game but i felt the battle system lacked refinement. A few adjustments here and there would have made a world of good.

But everything else is wonderful. I havent touched it since march but im in end game content. Once ive gotten some other games out of the way I will try to finish it off all the optional stuff.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is indeed a beautiful game but i felt the battle system lacked refinement. A few adjustments here and there would have made a world of good.

But everything else is wonderful. I havent touched it since march but im in end game content. Once ive gotten some other games out of the way I will try to finish it off all the optional stuff.

For me the worst thing about it was the voice over, it started off great but as you get further into the game it pretty much completely stops.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunning looking game from what Iv'e seen of it. Iv'e had it for ages but didn't play it very long before putting it away in the cupboard beside all the others and moving onto something else. Another game that needs to be played and finished by me. Don't know where I'm gonna find the time to finish all the games (from the 3 main formats) Xbox360, PS3 and PC that I have sitting in the cupboard gathering dust lol.