Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Was the Canada 3D test a full circuit job? Wasn't there also a Monaco 3D test more recently that was supposed to work better? I might have just made that up though?!

If it's a test of 3D I'm expecting Sky to go all out, kerb cams and all, because surely it's better to test these now? I don't see the 3D coverag having different commentators / graphics / presenters though, not for a test. It doesn't need to, unlike other sports where the angles are substantially different. For info, the Goodwood 3D coverage was the same 2D and 3D.

Could this possibly pave the way for Sky to take control from FOM of the world feed? Or it becoming a joint production?

I'd be interested to know if either Sky Italy or Germany F1 channels are picking this up too (or indeed if they have any 3D on those platforms).
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Course not. That's why my post was titled "It'll never happen......" :)
    I posted on the mobile forum, you can't see the post titles on there :o
    Was the Canada 3D test a full circuit job? Wasn't there also a Monaco 3D test more recently that was supposed to work better? I might have just made that up though?!

If it's a test of 3D I'm expecting Sky to go all out, kerb cams and all, because surely it's better to test these now? I don't see the 3D coverag having different commentators / graphics / presenters though, not for a test. It doesn't need to, unlike other sports where the angles are substantially different. For info, the Goodwood 3D coverage was the same 2D and 3D.

Could this possibly pave the way for Sky to take control from FOM of the world feed? Or it becoming a joint production?

I'd be interested to know if either Sky Italy or Germany F1 channels are picking this up too (or indeed if they have any 3D on those platforms).
    I think you are reading too much into it. This is probably doing something, because they can.

The size of 3D camera is a limiting factor to where they are going to put them, you can buy that are the size of video cameras, still not small but no doubt Sky Sports will be using professional cameras.
    I can't see any sensible company putting their equipment in a position where it is in danger of getting damaged.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SSF1 schedule out for w/e Fri 1 March:

Thurs 28 Feb:
    2pm - 4.30pm Live F1 Barcelona Test Day 1
    6.30pm Barcelona Test Day 1 (R)
    9pm Barcelona Test Day 1
    9.15pm Ted's notebook

Fri 1 Mar:
    2pm Live F1 Barcelona Test Day 2
    4.30pm Barcelona Test Day 1 (R)
    4.45pm Teds notebook Day 1 (R)
    5pm F1 Show
    6pm Filler
    6.30pm Barcelona Test Day 2 (R)
    9pm Barcelona Test Day 2
    9.15pm F1 Show (R)

NB. F1 Show also in 3D!
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »

The size of 3D camera is a limiting factor to where they are going to put them, you can buy that are the size of video cameras, still not small but no doubt Sky Sports will be using professional cameras.

They used hand held/shoulder 3D cameras for the Ryder Cup.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    No - only third test from Thursday 28th February to Sunday 3rd March. :)
    chrisf1fan wrote: »
    No, just the final test I believe.

Thanks chaps. :)
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,408
    Forum Member
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,725
    Forum Member
    I guess if the BBC use their red button for one of the 10 potential new Freeview HD channels we could finally get practise in HD to the masses :)
  • Options
    markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Both Sky Italy and Sky Germany do have their own "Sky 3D" channels. For Germany (and I think Italy) the programmes you can watch are based on your normal subscription - ie you only need a sports subscription to watch sport on 3D, not the subscribe to everything Sky UK insist on.

No idea if they will also broadcast the UK Sky test programming though. Sky Italy is pretty forward thinking and very similar to the UK in their approach to pretty much everything. Sky Germany are a bit more conservative and have some catching up to do in terms of what they offer the customer.
  • Options
    EastendwhovianEastendwhovian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Very happy with the news about live testing coverage, couldn't care about 3D but I think Sky may have said to FOM 'let us show you what we can do' and if they like it, it could lead to lots of different scenarios. Hopefully Sky use most of their pundits but also use a couple of guests and make the coverage quite light-hearted.

Roll on 28th February
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Devil wrote: »
    I think it would be good if ITV 4 got it, would fit neatly with other motorsports rights that they have.

ITV4 wouldn't be able to show four out of the first seven races live, due to clashes with other events, so it's unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    LesterForbesLesterForbes Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love IndyCar to be available on SSF1, but I very much doubt it due the ch being available on the HD pack. SkySports need to pick this up eitherway
  • Options
    dr2012dr2012 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Have to say, very impressive coverage of the test so far by SSF1. I'm not sure if it'd be worthwhile showing the test live, it'd get very litter viewer and I imagine those won't have that much to see!
    But the 15min highlights clips are very very good. They give you an idea of what has happened during the day and also some good footage too. Perhaps they could extend it a little but to perhaps 30mins, but anything more than that would be excessive I think.

Very impressed with Ted's Notebook! Always enjoyed watching them last year and they're equally as impressive now. Ted never fails to amaze me - he seems to know everyone and everything in the paddock! Martin B and Ted are definitely the two best signings SSF1 made IMO.
  • Options
    MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd that Sky Sports New carried a full interview with Lewis by Ben & Suzi and not with their own team really. But I wasn't complaining ;)

But I agree with the last poster about Ted, he's still very much missed on BBC F1. Often the only Sky footage I watch over the weekend are Ted's notebooks and the F1 Show (which he presents). This time last year I'd have agreed that Martin was missed too but DC has grown into the role on the Beeb so well I don't miss Martin at all now really.
  • Options
    thedoppelgangerthedoppelganger Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    dr2012 wrote: »
    Have to say, very impressive coverage of the test so far by SSF1. I'm not sure if it'd be worthwhile showing the test live, it'd get very litter viewer and I imagine those won't have that much to see!
    But the 15min highlights clips are very very good. They give you an idea of what has happened during the day and also some good footage too. Perhaps they could extend it a little but to perhaps 30mins, but anything more than that would be excessive I think.

Very impressed with Ted's Notebook! Always enjoyed watching them last year and they're equally as impressive now. Ted never fails to amaze me - he seems to know everyone and everything in the paddock! Martin B and Ted are definitely the two best signings SSF1 made IMO.

Totally agree. I don't have and don't need Sky, but I do have Youtube on the TV. Thanks to those who post the clips.
  • Options
    davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that still irritates me about Sky is that they constantly bang on about not having enough time. It's not as if they've been given five minutes on another channel is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when do they "constantly bang on" about not having enough time? I can't recall a single time that's ever happened.

perhaps your confusing the brilliant coverage of one broadcaster with another? ;)
  • Options
    davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when do they "constantly bang on" about not having enough time? I can't recall a single time that's ever happened.

perhaps your confusing the brilliant coverage of one broadcaster with another? ;)

Ted's notebook
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The end of most race shows, rushing off before commercial breaks was a key issue last year.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,097
    Forum Member
    Don't know how much this means, but Keith Huewen has retweeted a tweet from someone saying that they've just been answered by Sky that ESPN will have live Indycar from March. If so, very disappointing from my point of view (also a bit puzzling given there's strong rumours that ESPN may close in the UK at the end of the football season and are apparently trying to get rid of the rest of their rights).

Edit. Just seen a link showing Sky responding to someone on facebook saying ESPN have Indycar. As I said, very disappointed if true.
  • Options
    aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a tweet that was sent to me. Sadly it seems to be true. I'm trying to find out more as with the possible departure of ESPN during the middle of the season to see what may happen. If I find out anything I will post on here
  • Options
    Adam619Adam619 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    ESPN have also picked up the 1 hour Nascar highlights package that Sky have shown for the past couple of years.

I'd be amazed if ESPN leave the UK market in the summer they are signing new content deals, it just seems to me they are refocusing the channel with cheaper sports rights
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Looks like they are repositioning as an American sports channel.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,097
    Forum Member
    Adam619 wrote: »
    ESPN have also picked up the 1 hour Nascar highlights package that Sky have shown for the past couple of years.

I'd be amazed if ESPN leave the UK market in the summer they are signing new content deals, it just seems to me they are refocusing the channel with cheaper sports rights

Doubly disappointing if true. Guess I won't be watching Indycar or Nascar this season then (really can't be bothered trying to watch on the net knowing the streams may be taken down partway through, and the timings aren't always ideal for watching live).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOOOOOOOOO IndyCar on ESPN? well, that's the death of that then!
This discussion has been closed.